Puppy slipping on hard wood floors, advice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy slipping on hard wood floors, advice?

I recently adopted an amazing German Shepherd from a breeder located outside of Houston Texas. Her name is Denver, she's almost 4 months old.

Everything is going very well in the 3 weeks that I've had her. However, I'm worried that she may break a leg, or damage her hips with all of the slipping and sliding she does on my hardwood floors. Of course, I try to limit her running in my house with lots of exercise outdoors, however, she's a puppy and wants to run everywhere, all the time.

I have large area rugs in the living area and carpet in the bedrooms, wood in between those. Does anyone have any advice? Should I not be worried?

I was looking at dog traction shoes, boots, socks etc. Any luck with these? I feel like they'd fall off instantly, or she'd take them off herself.
OEFVet2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Not sure about the boots but if you can get her to wear them that may solve your problem. We have wooden floors also and 2 GSDs, when my youngest was a puppy I put down cheap mats on the floor as he would slip, especially when playing with my older dog. Now, they are used to the floors and don't slip at all. I have heard of dogs really injuring themselves on slippery surfaces like wooden floors, so until she gets used to it then maybe enforce 'no play' on the floors or put down extra mats, just to be safe while she is still growing

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would crate her when your not home, just to be safe. If not a crate, then limit her to a room where she has traction and isn't slipping and sliding while unsupervised.

I heard from a friend that the boots with two straps stay on fairly well.
Kat Tastic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wouldn't worry too much, unless it looks like she is really going to hurt herself. You aren't forcing her to run! My 6 month old puppy still slips and slides all over the hardwood and looks like he is having a blast. You should try trimming the fur between her foot pads, if it looks long. The fur could be getting between her pads and the floor and decreasing her traction.
I suppose you could also try a foot cream like Musher's Secret which helps dogs on ice and snow. I'm not sure if that would make it better or worse. My old dog wore protective boots while hiking, but a puppy might be more interested in chewing them off if she wore them all the time. I'm sure she would get used to boots or socks after a little while.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Yep, lots of cheap rubber-backed rugs (so the rugs don't slip).

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

We put down a lot of runner type rugs (2'x6' ish? )and keep the toe nails clipped helps.
Sp00ks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I put rubber backed rugs on the hardwood to stop the sliding (to save my floors, not the dogs). The tile kitchen they pinball through on the way outside/to food/out of kennels). If their hips are good the sliding floors won't hurt them, and will build environmental confidence. I (quietly) laugh when people say their dog is scared of slick floors... if my dogs were, they'd not survive in my house lol. there is no carpeting.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I made a couple of phone calls to carpeters and got cheap carpet off cuts, spent $180 aussie and ended up with a heap of carpet, that if I had bought rugs would of cost me 5-600 easily.
bellske is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

cheap rugs are best, our boy was slipping and sliding too as pup, well he learned, and even if he runs he wont slip any more
andreaB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

when our dog was young we had throw rugs and runners everywhere.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.