Poop Walking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Poop Walking

Hello everyone,

I have a question for you all.. My pup has been doing something that at first was funny but as he gets older is becoming annoying and quite embarrassing especially as I have to walk behind him!! LOL My dog poop walks.....he stays in the squatted position and walks everywhere, while pooping at the same time!!! Leaving me a lot more to pick up. I am not talking about 1 or 2 steps......he walks a great distance in the squatted position, leaving "bombs" every few steps, and no, he is not constipated!! LOL I don't want to discourage him from going, saying anything causes him to stop going and think he is doing something wrong. Has anyone had this issue? If so, how did you remedy it? I won't post a picture or video, as I don't want to embarrass puppy Max!!

Last edited by Max'sfamily; 12-01-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added info
Max'sfamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I had a dog that simply didn't want to stop long enough to go. She would do the poop walk when leashed and would walk behind us if weren't paying attention. Not something she did all the time.

My point is, does he just not want to stop long enough to go? Is he on a leash when he does this? Maybe leash him and simply put tension on the leash but not say anything? Just a thought.
Sp00ks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
I had a dog that simply didn't want to stop long enough to go. She would do the poop walk when leashed and would walk behind us if weren't paying attention. Not something she did all the time.

My point is, does he just not want to stop long enough to go? Is he on a leash when he does this? Maybe leash him and simply put tension on the leash but not say anything? Just a thought.
We have tried it both ways on and off leash. While on the leash we noticed if we tugged he would stop everything and not go or attempt to go for about 20 min and then the poop walk would start again. We take him out for a while and still does it.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I want to revive this because I haven't been able to break my 6 month old of this habit either. She won't poop on leash any more because I would take up all the slack so she couldn't walk and poop. I never corrected her, but like the OP she just stops altogether.
I don't mind it except she is a long coat and she's pooped inadvertently on her hocks multiple times now with this method. Ugh!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, I think it might be an individualized thing. The
two I've had who did it, did it their whole lives. New
girl stays in one spot, thankfully, 'cause yes, it is
a pain, especially in those late night or rainy outside
potty trips!

Tamsen's Dogster page:
http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=27525
valb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Box/mark/fence a small area in your yard and train your dog to do its business in that area only. Gradually decrease the size of the area to the point where there is very little space left to walk.
alexg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg View Post
Box/mark/fence a small area in your yard and train your dog to do its business in that area only. Gradually decrease the size of the area to the point where there is very little space left to walk.
Y'know, I never even thought of this. I noodled over it and at first it sounded like a great idea, but after some thought I actually don't think that would work. It would be inevitable that the dog WOULD step in their own poop in a whirling-dervish of a poop attempt. I just foresee that going horribly wrong. Hilarious, but much messier. At least with a larger area they can waddle somewhat away from it, unless they have 'circling' patterns.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.