German Shepherds Forum banner

New member, help me pick a color

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Jaa55 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ive had GSD all my life but for whatever reason I cant remember what they looked like when they were puppies.
This is my dog CJ which I left with my parents when I moved out, my mom was his favorite so he stayed where he belonged. hes about 10.5 yrs old. Both of his ears used to be upright but he broke a blood vessel in the one ear.

These are the two its between, I would like one most similarly colored to CJ. help me predict what they will look like! My fiance wants the dark one, and I want the lighter colored.

*** Oversized Pics removed by ADMIN ***

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't think color is as important as the personality. Do both pups socialize with you readily? Does either pup stand back and not socialize. If you drag a toy does either pup seem interested. I know they are still young but you can tell alertness, toy drive, etc. Pick the pup with the personality that best fits what you plan to do with your pup. Do you plan sports, protection, general obedience, pet dog. These are all important factors to consider when picking a puppy. Have you seen both parents? Have the parents hips been checked? Are either of the parents titled in anything?

#5 ·
I totally agree , you want good temperament before color. The breeder should be able to tell you which puppy would be a better match for what your looking for..

I also agree the puppy in the 3rd picture is a sable, which would look like my gsd in my avatar pic.

The other will most likely be black/tan/cream..YOUR dog looks more to me like a black/reddish..but still considered black and tan

#6 ·
I'm with everything else, with a choice of just those 2 puppies I would work with the breeder to get the one who's personality will fit into my lifestyle/back ground/experience. I'm paying all that money so get the best fit for the next 15 years and expect the breeder to come thru with that knowledge and advice!

Plus the breeder should be able to tell you exactly what these puppies should look like as adults based on their past litters.

This one is the sable puppy.

#7 ·
Both have pretty much the same temperament, with a little coaxing you can call them over and are pretty affectionate, the sable colored one gets scared when you pick him up but the blk/tan does not and seems to like it. But he's very friendly.

The mother is a white shepherd to its hard to guess what they may look like, father is a dark Black and Tan. These are my aunts, it's also where my shepherd CJ came from but he is of a different lineage. The mothers past litters had quite a few sable colored dogs, and one black and silver. I heard the black and silver is a undesirable coloration but it makes a great looking dog!

#9 ·
My first thought was that the expression on the sable looks a little unsure, your comments verified it...

As these are apparently pups bred by your aunt, and from a white GSD....hopefully you know the parents at least....It does not particularly matter in this instance that the black and cream pup is an undesirable color as she is not breeding to any particular standard with a white female. I am guessing there are no titles or certifications on either parent either, but as she is your aunt, together you might be able to predict which pup is better for you....

The black and cream/silver probably will be more like CJ but lighter, and at this point has a more 'open' temperament. The sable should be handled and socialized alot so that it gains more confidence in people should you choose it.

Lee
Lee

#10 ·
No they do not have titles, they have had ancestors with papers but they don't keep up with th paper work but I'm not looking to show this dog or breed it, CJ was the same no papers. I wish had pictures of him when he was younger with both ears standing, he's gotten very gray lately

#12 ·
Your CJ is a handsome boy, of the two pups that you have shown I would say the darker one would come closer to looking like CJ. Although coloring is not the main reason for picking a pup, lots of people go by what attracts them to the pup and that is it's looks, nothing wrong with that. Good luck with your choice, you have two cuties to choose from.

#13 ·
Thank you very much for the compliment, I would have loved to bring him with us to our new house but I chose him, he chose my mom. we have a great bond but shes his favorite person. I took a better picture of him tonight.

I believe we will be coming home with the black and tan after some discussion with my fiance, now all we have to do is wait....we still have a couple of weeks until he will be ready to leave. :)

#17 ·
He's awesome, he doesn't chew anything at all. Loves to drag random items he finds into the yard. He listens great. Been very good with meeting new people when I'm present. He's still changing color a lot...he has silverish/creme color coming through

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.