Walking is NOT exercise!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Walking is NOT exercise!!

For a very young puppy, a walk may be enough exercise to tire them out for a few hours.

But for an adolescent dog a walk just won't cut it. Unless you are speed-walking. And then you better go several miles in order to tire out your dog.

If you want a dog that will SLEEP (or at least be calm) while you are at work all day you need to TIRE THEM OUT.

Spend 15 - 20 minutes throwing the ball and having them RUN to get it and bring it back. I'm not talking about throwing it 20 or 30 feet. Get a Chuck it and throw that ball a good 50 - 100 FEET!!

Take the dog for a bike ride (with the proper equipment) and set the pace so they are trotting. Put in a good 20 - 30 minute round trip.

THOSE are ways to tire out your adolescent dog. Walks just aren't enough.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't go to those extremes to exercise my dog and he gets enough and sleeps fine. I've been told it's not good to jog with your dog until they are 18 months. So, not sure making them run with a bike is a good idea.
trcy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I would think a consultation with a vet is the best place to start with that debate. Some people don't have access to chuck it 100 feet and all they get to do is walk their dogs and I've seen some pretty healthy looking walking dogs on here.
lyssa62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We usually play fetch minutes, after I'm home from work. For my girls (almost 3 yrs), after a short break, go for a bike ride using a walky dog. Ranger can't bike yet so we do some playing with a flirt pole instead.

The walk is in the evening, half with training mixed in and half with "be free". We mix it up sometimes and make adjustments depending on other demands. They usually sleep just fine.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think all dogs require the same amount of physical exercise. I also think that some dogs require more mental exercise.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think it's a little extreme to say it's not exercise. It is, they are moving, expelling energy. I would venture to guess that *most people, don't do more than walk their dogs, maybe play a little light fetch in the back yard, and train obedience when they can, and it works for a lot of people, adolescent dog, puppy, whatever.

Depends on the dog.
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I wish we had a yard large enough to use our Chuck-it! We have to go someplace else to do that, so at best ours would get that kind of intense exercise once or twice a week when they were growing up. Fortunately, they adapted well to the lifestyle and level of activity we were able to provide for them. I also do a lot of training and all my dogs have been in numerous classes, so they got plenty of brain stimulation even when they weren't getting enough hard exercise to truly tire their bodies out.

I do agree that a sedate leash walk isn't really sufficient, if that's the only kind of exercise the dog gets. Right now, we're doing lots of hiking with the dogs. My husband is taking one or the other out during the day 2 or 3 times a week for 4-6 miles. I've been taking Keefer out for a 4 mile hike after work one day a week and then taking Halo out for a longer hike on my Fridays off. Each of them is probably getting between 8 and 16 miles a week, on hilly terrain. Halo and I did an 8+ mile hike yesterday, and she was pretty pooped the rest of the day. It was a warm day in the low 80's, and we only had one real rest stop, at the top of a mile long hill, with two short water stops.

And then Halo has flyball practice most Sundays, and a tournament all weekend about once a month. They've always been really calm around the house, even when they weren't getting tons and tons of exercise every single day - good off switches!
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssa62 View Post
I would think a consultation with a vet is the best place to start with that debate. Some people don't have access to chuck it 100 feet and all they get to do is walk their dogs and I've seen some pretty healthy looking walking dogs on here.
My yard isn't very big, I'll use 2 balls and keep up the pace. Sometimes we'll start in the front yard and I'll throw it over the house into the backyard, works great, they get to run and search for it.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

My 7 (almos 8) months old has no interest in fetching.. we walk at fairly fast pace for an hour in the morning, 30 mins at lunch (if im not busy or on a conference call) and an hour before bed, we also play with the flirt pole for about 15 - 30 mins a day, and we also have puppy play dates several times a week around 3 - 4 nights a week we go play with other dogs for several hours... Im not going to make my girl run next to a bike she is too young for that wont do that till she is 18 - 24 months, and where she has no interest in fetching the only other option is our hour long (multiple times a day) walk. She gets sufficient exercise and she is of very health weight and size.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

i take my 3 GSDs and the one I am currently watching for an hour long walk everyday that does tire them out. They sleep fine. It all depends on the dog. My female has tons of energy but long as she walks for that hour shes good.
Samson black/red M 08/12/2008
Mya black/tan F 10/25/2012
Radar black/silver M
Misty black/red F 1/10/2012
Aramis black/red M 10/30/2012
Endurian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.