When do you move your puppy outside into a kennel? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When do you move your puppy outside into a kennel?

I got my puppy at 8 weeks and he's been inside in his crate every night for the last 6 weeks. I've already decided to have a kennel outside with protection from the weather but I am uncertain on exactly when he would be safe to move out of the house. During this time of year the temperatures at night dip to about 55-60 and a min of 48F in the coldest winter nights which he wont see until he is almost a year old. I planned to move him out when he out grew his crate but I am wondering if that is necessary as I can just continue the crate training method in a partitioned kennel.

So what is everyones suggestions with when I can be confident to move Sagan out to his kennel? This is more of a question of his physical comfort than bonding as I take him to work with me and he's by my side the majority of the day.

Thanks
Sagan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Why wouldn't you want your dog to live inside with you?

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would keep him inside with you - he will want to be with you. The Monks of New Skete in their book "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend" have an helpful chapter on the importance of having your dog sleep in the bedroom with you (but on the floor)
Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Why wouldn't you want your dog to live inside with you?
Do we have to go through this again? There is a dogma in this forum that the only acceptable way to own a dog is for the dog to live inside.
There is no point in arguing with people who hold this 'religious' belief.
The OP has already defensively stated that his dog spends a lot of time with him, perhaps already anticipating the usual disapproval of the '"no outside dog" crowd. Predictably the first post in response doesn't even give due respect to the OP's question but starts proselytizing.

To answer the OP's question, your pup at 14 weeks can comfortably live in an outside kennel at 55 degrees. By next winter, he should be comfortable in an outside kennel at 48. He is a German shepherd, a breed that started out as a herding dog in harsh weather Germany. The temperatures in Maui should be a breeze as his body naturally adapts to the mild seasonal changes there. I would be more concerned about the heat in the hottest months and the rain in the wettest. However, you said his kennel is weather proof so I assume you have that taken care of with adequate shade, drinking water and rain proofing.

Last edited by Ocean; 05-12-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

He will be inside occasionally but I want him outside most of the time for both his own sanity in not being stuck indoors and also to serve better protection for my home at night. Currently the property isn't fully fenced so until then he will be in the kennel or on lead when outside. Being/sleeping inside isn't an option for much longer for many reasons but mostly because he's a dog (which I love) and I have particular standards inside that I couldn't fairly expect my dog to obey (shedding isn't a choice after all).
Old 05-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

A dog out in a kennel cannot protect you, your house or anything else.

A dog in the back yard will only protect your lawn mower while a thief is inside stealing your jewelry and electronics.

A dog in you home can protect you while you sleep, and protect your stuff when you're away.

Why do you want to keep it in a kennel where it is useless?
Rallhaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Do we have to go through this again? There is a dogma in this forum that the only acceptable way to own a dog is for the dog to live inside.
There is no point in arguing with people who hold this 'religious' belief.
The OP has already defensively stated that his dog spends a lot of time with him, perhaps already anticipating the usual disapproval of the '"no outside dog" crowd. Predictably the first post in response doesn't even give due respect to the OP's question but starts proselytizing.

To answer the OP's question, your pup at 14 weeks can comfortably live in an outside kennel at 55 degrees. By next winter, he should be comfortable in an outside kennel at 48. He is a German shepherd, a breed that started out as a herding dog in harsh weather Germany. The temperatures in Maui should be a breeze as his body naturally adapts to the mild seasonal changes there.
Thanks for the info that's really helpful. I know the breed can handle much colder temperatures but I know usually puppies come in the spring so I was still a little uncertain on the actual temperature tolerance for them as they're young.

Do you have any input on the upper threshold and hotter weather I should try to avoid? Thankfully I live in a pretty moderate elevation and the range is between 48-80 but down at sea level it can get upwards to 90. I know gsds that live by the ocean where it gets warmer but it can't certainly be very comfortable for them.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallhaus View Post
A dog out in a kennel cannot protect you, your house or anything else.

A dog in the back yard will only protect your lawn mower while a thief is inside stealing your jewelry and electronics.

A dog in you home can protect you while you sleep, and protect your stuff when you're away.

Why do you want to keep it in a kennel where it is useless?
Well as I said the kennel should only be temporary before I am confident he will reamin inside the fence line. As for the purpose of protection in the interim, I am a light sleeper and the kennel is close to the only door that has access to my home so all I need is a few barks and I can inspect what is going on.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Unless your fence will be going all the way around your yard with a gate at the driveway, keeping a dog in the yard is not offering much protection.

A "backyard fence" will not help when the bad guy comes in the front door.
Rallhaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallhaus View Post
Unless your fence will be going all the way around your yard with a gate at the driveway, keeping a dog in the yard is not offering much protection.

A "backyard fence" will not help when the bad guy comes in the front door.
That's exactly how the property will be secured. Is there anything else you would like to know for my reason to ask the initial question? I can send you pictures of the current fence and gate if you want to give me your opinion on how secure it is and if it is gsd friendly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.