12 wk pup with low fever & diarrhea :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy 12 wk pup with low fever & diarrhea :(

I changed my baby's food (Merrick Whole Farm) and she has diarrhea (pudding). I thought I must have made the change too fast and know what to do. However, it's 4:30am and my baby has a slight fever. I haven't taken her temp, but her tummy feels slightly warm and her muzzle too. I'm worried and headed to the vet as soon as their office opens.

I'm reading everything and, of course, getting quite concerned. I took her off food and she's drinking a little water. Not enough, in my opinion.

Baby Myah is curled up next to me. She just wants to be close. A little lethargic, but not much. She pounced on an ice cube when I enticed her with her water bowl (cute).

Going to run fecal and blood work. She's up to date on shots and was last wormed at 7 weeks. She only goes potty/poop in her safe place at home, but we do go to the beach for fun. She's only met fully vaccinated dogs; no wandering around strange places, sniffing dirt, kept her off the grass, etc.

My mind is wandering everywhere (parvo, distemper, corona, coccidia, giardiasis, worms or worse).

Any similar experiences?
Myah's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sounds like a bit of upset tummy from the change of food. Might be too rich for her. Since she isn't throwing up, makes me think its not blockage. Warm tummy and muzzle just tell you she is warm like room temperature warm,or wrapped up in mommy's arm warm, not fever. The only way to tell if she has a temp is taking it rectally.
Trip to the vet first thing to rule out other issues. My bet is "eneritis" which is fancy word for tummy ache.
Let us know how it goes
wyominggrandma is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have just had my 15 week old hit hard with campylobacter... He started out with diarrhea and a fever which progressed rapidly. He was thankfully treated asap and has since recovered but my god it was horrible

Beka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't have a proper thermometer, so I'll get one today. But I'm pretty sure her temp is elevated. Webbing between paws, tongue, tummy - all noticeably warmer than usual. But I agree, I need a rectal thermometer for her.

Coffee is on, rice is cooking for her (with a little chicken broth) and we are headed to the vet after I drop my son off at school.

I hope I'm overreacting.

Since my last two dogs died (6 yrs from myasthenia gravis, the other 8 yrs from bone cancer), I may be a bit sensitive. That's why it's good for me to hear from the forum. ((((thank you))))
Myah's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

It's not a bad idea to have a thermometer at home that you can use, but I'd be taking her to the vet today if it were my puppy.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.