Puppy Journals/Blogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Puppy Journals/Blogs

Borrowed the idea from another thread. I thought this would be a cool place for those raising puppies to post what they might be working on and some picture & video updates as they grow!

I can start with Carma. She's now 11 weeks and her most current weight at the vet (on Monday) was 14.2 pounds. I'm not concerned about her growth or anything, but I am so curious to know how big she'll get. I'd love her to stay as small as her dam (55lbs or so). Her sire is a smaller male as well, so I'm assuming the chances are higher because of that. I don't have any idea is 14lbs is small for an 11 week old puppy or not anyways..

As far as obedience goes, we're working on puppy heeling, focus, rear end awareness, recall, spinning, sit & platz and a few other random fun things. She recently made me bleed for the first time when working for dinner..Little shark. I'm hoping to start tracking in the next week or two once it really warms up with the sun and we get some grass back. With the food drive she has, I don't foresee it being any problem.

House & crate training are coming along nicely, and now I just need to find a good balance to controlling her water intake without her acting like she's dying of dehydration. She's still picky about her kibble, but loves pumpkin so that helps entice her and helps her poop too. She chews through toys/treats like a little monster. Loves the antler I got recently, so I'm hoping it'll last a little longer than the rest.

A few videos, from most recent to a few weeks ago.

And a couple photos

Training 3/10/13 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Training 3/10/13 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

3/12/13 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Here's the link to our blog - Sharp Shepherd | Life with my dogs & a training blog

Please post with your pups! Tell us what you're working on & update us as they learn and grow!
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

I hope more people post here! I would like to hear more people's training updates. My little girl comes home in two weeks and I can't wait to get started with her.
Khaleesi von Feuer- German Shepherd 2/3/2013
MilesNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesNY View Post
I hope more people post here! I would like to hear more people's training updates. My little girl comes home in two weeks and I can't wait to get started with her.
I thought it would be a good idea! Sharing with each other could give us new ideas to work on with our own pups.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Lara: 13 weeks / 28.2 lbs last vet check - healthy, ear infections gone.

For the past several weeks Lara's been working on sit, down, get up, paw, crawl, wait, her name, targeting, and manners. Completely housebroken, even in other peoples houses. Tested this by showing her the backdoor while at a friends, she had to pee so went to the door about an hour later and scratched and whined until I let her out. No accidents in 2 weeks, minimal ones the week prior, my fault.

Seeing a lot of solid understanding on the wait concept. I set her food bowl down, put her in a sit, and make her wait until the release command "okay". Same for doors, crossing streets. We also practiced this while approaching one of her dog friends today for self control as well as people she likes.

Today we worked on introducing placing her paws on an object and remaining there in preparation for heel rear movement and we worked on sitting when I stop while walking on a short leash.
Tomorrow morning we are going to the Schutzhund club nearby for an evaluation and more socialization. Wish us luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Puppy Journals/Blogs-smile.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ollie(long coat) - 6 1/2 months old, somewhere between 50-55lbs and adult coat sloooowly coming in.

Ollie's training is coming along nicely, we are attending two different classes a week now both held outdoors so GREAT for distraction training. We're still having some focus issues because he's not super food or toy motivated so I'm always on the search for new and exciting training treats.

So far he knows sit, down, shake with both paws, touch, down/stay, sit/stay, look, find it, go get it, leave it and wait/stay. I practice NILIF with him, we also practice sitting and staying when I open a door, before he's allowed into the car, etc. He's very smart and pics up on things quickly, he learned the concept of down/stay in about 5 minutes... I don't know why but he really loves working on stays! His recall is becoming better and better, before and after his training classes I'll take him out in the field and work on recalls and stays. His biggest issue right now is excited barking at other dogs while on lead.

I'm looking into various sports right now, he had his herding instinct test done which he passed and he really, really loved it! We're going to get an IPO evaluation done soon but I'm also going to look into agility too... I can only do one sport so just dipping our toes in, seeing what he enjoys the most. If I had my way it'd probably be herding but it is very expensive so I'm not sure how its going to work out yet.

Are we allowed to keep posting here? I'm sure I'll have more on training especially after I get my new camera?

Video of him growing and some from his herding test as well

IMG_0331 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-02-25 02:48:51) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-03-05 15:17:02) by Carriesue82, on Flickr
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
Ollie(long coat) - 6 1/2 months old, somewhere between 50-55lbs and adult coat sloooowly coming in.

Ollie's training is coming along nicely, we are attending two different classes a week now both held outdoors so GREAT for distraction training. We're still having some focus issues because he's not super food or toy motivated so I'm always on the search for new and exciting training treats.

So far he knows sit, down, shake with both paws, touch, down/stay, sit/stay, look, find it, go get it, leave it and wait/stay. I practice NILIF with him, we also practice sitting and staying when I open a door, before he's allowed into the car, etc. He's very smart and pics up on things quickly, he learned the concept of down/stay in about 5 minutes... I don't know why but he really loves working on stays! His recall is becoming better and better, before and after his training classes I'll take him out in the field and work on recalls and stays. His biggest issue right now is excited barking at other dogs while on lead.

I'm looking into various sports right now, he had his herding instinct test done which he passed and he really, really loved it! We're going to get an IPO evaluation done soon but I'm also going to look into agility too... I can only do one sport so just dipping our toes in, seeing what he enjoys the most. If I had my way it'd probably be herding but it is very expensive so I'm not sure how its going to work out yet.

Are we allowed to keep posting here? I'm sure I'll have more on training especially after I get my new camera?

Video of him growing and some from his herding test as well
Ollie 6 days to 6 months old - YouTube

IMG_0331 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-02-25 02:48:51) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

Untitled (2013-03-05 15:17:02) by Carriesue82, on Flickr
Looking good!!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Puppy Journals/Blogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
Lara: 13 weeks / 28.2 lbs last vet check - healthy, ear infections gone.

For the past several weeks Lara's been working on sit, down, get up, paw, crawl, wait, her name, targeting, and manners. Completely housebroken, even in other peoples houses. Tested this by showing her the backdoor while at a friends, she had to pee so went to the door about an hour later and scratched and whined until I let her out. No accidents in 2 weeks, minimal ones the week prior, my fault.

Seeing a lot of solid understanding on the wait concept. I set her food bowl down, put her in a sit, and make her wait until the release command "okay". Same for doors, crossing streets. We also practiced this while approaching one of her dog friends today for self control as well as people she likes.

Today we worked on introducing placing her paws on an object and remaining there in preparation for heel rear movement and we worked on sitting when I stop while walking on a short leash.
Tomorrow morning we are going to the Schutzhund club nearby for an evaluation and more socialization. Wish us luck!
She is too stinkin cute! Keep us posted with your schutzhund eval.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Old 03-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Recon- 18lbs @ 8 weeks.

Right now we are working on imprinting, sit, down, focus, heel, and come. He is learning his name. Potty training is going well. He already loves his crate so thats good. I also introduced him to a leash but he just drags it around for the most part. I have been hand feeding the begining of every meal and making him work for it. Also lots of rag and ball play. Also working on climatizing. He is not used to the heat here. Most importantly we have been working on socialization and our bond. So far he has been to parks(kids play ground equipment), two different training fields, multiple houses, agility equipment hights, grates, lots of different noises, gun shots and..... So far so good. This guy is awesome!
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Recon- 18lbs @ 8 weeks.

Right now we are working on imprinting, sit, down, focus, heel, and come. He is learning his name. Potty training is going well. He already loves his crate so thats good. I also introduced him to a leash but he just drags it around for the most part. I have been hand feeding the begining of every meal and making him work for it. Also lots of rag and ball play. Also working on climatizing. He is not used to the heat here. Most importantly we have been working on socialization and our bond. So far he has been to parks(kids play ground equipment), two different training fields, multiple houses, agility equipment hights, grates, lots of different noises, gun shots and..... So far so good. This guy is awesome!
Sounds like a big guy. Pictures next time!!

Carma's doing well. If anybody has suggestions for nice gloves to use when working with food, let me know. I need something that I can use and still grasp the pieces of food with and move my fingers in. She bites the **** out of my hands, so I borrowed a friend's batting gloves for yesterday.

3.17.13 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Legs!!

I can not stack her. She really doesn't like being held still...She needs lessons from Aiden. I can not believe how much taller she is!!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Recon turned 9 weeks today. So far working on same things. Focus and body position are really clicking. I can't even walk around the house without him in a decent heel position looking right at me. It has to be gentetic because I'm not that good. He seems to be getting used to my routine. His energy level is sky rocketing. That's making training really nice. Today I took him into a trampoline and some other things and he did great. He is progressing nicely. I can play with the clatter stick while he chases a rag around and he doesn't care about it at all. I even touched him with it and he didn't change his grip. Still was just tugging away. He's doing so well that it makes it hard not to rush things. Tonight I'm going to introduce a "place board" so I can start some rear end awareness.

Gatordog, Carma is coming along very nice! Looks like every video she is 10 times better than the last. Great job! At this rate you will have her ready for her 1 by 6 months of age and have to wait around forever until she's old enough

I don't have pictures or video of our training sessions. They are short and sweet and usually by myself so... I don't want any awkward pictures of me in my underwear working my puppy at 2am hahaha. Here is a picture I took today while we did some exploring. It's my favorite picture of him yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Puppy Journals/Blogs-392895_10200255568864538_1167219444_n.jpg  
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.