German Shepherds Forum banner

Excited peeing

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Litz 
#1 ·
Our 15 week old girl will pee when greeting new people. She gets overly excited and just dribbles some. What can be done to help stop this?

We try to tell people to ignore her till she's calm but that's a hard thing for people to do to a puppy. Any suggestions would be helpful or if ignoring the behavior is the proper thing to do. Most we've talked to say she'll out grow it. I hope that's true.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
I think that's a submissive thing and most dogs grow out of it. I know ignoring the dog is part of it but not sure what else. Sorry I can't help much but I'm interested to hear what others know about it.

#4 ·
Instead of letting the dog get wild and happy to see you I reccomend making sit calmly for a few seconds and then pet it. The trick is to make the dog calm down so you can easily pet it. It does take the fun out of having the super happy gsd jumpin up and down to see you, but its nice to not get pee everywhere. Most dogs will outgrow it though i believe. Ive heard of some that don't though. If your dog doesnt outgrow it i would just try to get it to remain calm when people come around it but I am guessing she will outgrow it.

#5 ·
My girl did it every time someone came in the house. Which is often. We actually let her outside if we could before anyone walked inside. lol . She just turned 10 months and it stopped, prob a month ago. I have a 19 week boy who just started it. Hopefully it won't last to long...
I agree with trying to ignore them when coming in, but that just doesn't happen. Every who comes in is always happy to play with the puppies. So keep paper towels handy!

#6 ·
We have a two and a half-year-old female and she still continues to have problems with excitement urination. What we do is when we first come in the door we ignore her and keep our hands at our sides until she sits quietly in front of and we wait until she's calm, and then we can give her a small amount of attention before letting her outside to take care of business. This seems to work a majority of the time, although she still gives the occasional dribble. I think it's excitement more than submissive behavior, for us at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.