Puppy got attacked at the dog park...still in tears...what now? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy got attacked at the dog park...still in tears...what now?

Navarro just turned 16 weeks and we started going to the dog park, since I don't know many people with dogs and he seemed quite timid of them. He's only come out of his shell once when there was another puppy at the park, but other than that usually just sits under the bench and watches. Today though there were people sitting about 10 feet away from us and he started to have fun running between me and them. Out of nowhere this dog ran over, no warning no smelling no nothing and attacked him...pretty sure he wanted to kill him. Navarro started wailing while this thing was over top of him biting at his neck. The people I was sitting near pulled him off, and Navarro ran under the bench crying. The owner of the dog took him over to the other side of the park. Navarro jumped on the bench and hid behind me as I was trying to calm him down, but about 2 minutes later the dog ran back across the park, leaped on the bench and latched on to Navarro's neck again. They both fell to the ground, the dog was pulled off and owner told to leave. She told us it was because we were sitting near the water (50 ft away). Thankfully there were enough people there to encourage him to get off the bench after about 10 minutes and walk a lap of the park before we left. Got home. Had a good cry. Now I have NO idea what to do. We're both traumatized and I don't know if or when we should go back to the park. I don't know why that dog went out of his way to attack Navarro. I can't find any cuts on him, but he has a broken puppy tooth and the girl that pull the dog off had her arm bitten. I feel so awful for putting him in that situation. This is the most awful day.
GoSailGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

IMO, it's a common occurrence in a dog park. I wouldn't be going back.
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm so sorry. Is there anyone who has a dog you trust that you could play date with to help build his confidence up around dogs? You don't want him to be reactive and fearful.

Poor baby

Jelpy
Old 02-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm sorry this happened to you and your pup. There are lots of different opinions re: dog parks on this forum - we frequented them often in the beginning and I deeply regret it, and wouldn't recommend it to others going forward.

Are you planning on taking Navarro to puppy kindergarten? Even if you can't do a series of classes, lots of training centers or dog daycares will do inexpensive "puppy social hours" where he could meet dogs his age (and be in the presence of more mindful owners).
Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

A timid dog is a target for other dogs. I do NOT like dog parks for this reason. I wouldn't go back. Hopefully there's no long term emotional damage.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelpy View Post
I'm so sorry. Is there anyone who has a dog you trust that you could play date with to help build his confidence up around dogs? You don't want him to be reactive and fearful.

Poor baby

Jelpy
I have one friend with a dog who I'm trying to see if I can borrow tomorrow for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
IMO, it's a common occurrence in a dog park. I wouldn't be going back.
I see that now. I don't really want to go back but I want to to get him over this trauma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonadeicedtea View Post
I'm sorry this happened to you and your pup. There are lots of different opinions re: dog parks on this forum - we frequented them often in the beginning and I deeply regret it, and wouldn't recommend it to others going forward.

Are you planning on taking Navarro to puppy kindergarten? Even if you can't do a series of classes, lots of training centers or dog daycares will do inexpensive "puppy social hours" where he could meet dogs his age (and be in the presence of more mindful owners).
Thanks for the daycare suggestion. My vet office does doggy daycare. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if he can go there for a few days.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

That's terrible. I'm so sorry about what happened to your pup.
Wouldn't it be logical to the other owner to put his dog on a leash after it attacked someone once? I mean, come on...
As others suggested, try and get your pup to meet with your friends dogs that you know won't attack.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy2662 View Post
That's terrible. I'm so sorry about what happened to your pup.
Wouldn't it be logical to the other owner to put his dog on a leash after it attacked someone once? I mean, come on...
As others suggested, try and get your pup to meet with your friends dogs that you know won't attack.
You would think they would leash the dog. I'm so grateful there was some "aggressive" people there to tell the owner to leave. I thought he would be safe hiding behind me on the bench while I calmed him down so maybe the owner thought it wasn't a danger anymore, but I was wrong there too.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is a terrible occurrence but it is not COMMON. It is really UNCOMMON. Not sure what your guy's definition of common is, but this does not happen often at any dog park I've ever been to. I've actually never seen something like this happen and have gone pretty consistently throughout my dog's first 2 years.

Sure...there have been fights, but they are not common. Maybe 1% of the times I've been to a dog park have I seen a fight, and I've never seen a dog get injured or hurt. I've seen plenty of stupid owners, most of the time SITTING on benches and just letting dogs do whatever they want.

If I were you, I wouldn't go back to a dog park. I also wouldn't just let you dog into a dog daycare without YOUR supervision. You need to find some obedience classes where you can socialize your dog in a very controlled environment (on leash and little or no interactions between dogs).
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
You need to find some obedience classes where you can socialize your dog in a very controlled environment (on leash and little or no interactions between dogs).
We're in obedience classes where there is no interaction between dogs. I don't think its helped him learn that dogs aren't scary though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.