picking up the boy this weekend, need help! - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think a small 300 size crate is going to cost that much! certainly less than lumber....for a pup that you want to housebreak, he needs to be in a small crate that if he pees, he is lying in it - this discourages him from peeing [or pooping!] in the crate!

here is one for 27 bucks.....ebay

DuraCrate Folding Dog Crate - PetSupplies.com

this one should serve as a nice little bedroom for a few months! and probably be sold on craigslist for nearly as much as you pay for it

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
I don't think a small 300 size crate is going to cost that much! certainly less than lumber....for a pup that you want to housebreak, he needs to be in a small crate that if he pees, he is lying in it - this discourages him from peeing [or pooping!] in the crate!

here is one for 27 bucks.....ebay

DuraCrate Folding Dog Crate - PetSupplies.com

this one should serve as a nice little bedroom for a few months! and probably be sold on craigslist for nearly as much as you pay for it

Lee
What's wrong with using the 48" crate in the bedroom? It comes with the divider. Why would I spend money on thing that's only last for few month instead of something that would last 15 years???
Fkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Hauling a crate back and forth will get to be a pain.. especially since it's big. You don't HAVE to put the crate in your room, though. I didn't. You could get a baby monitor and listen to when the pup needs to go out. Either way, not too much of a cost. If you HAVE to stop with pup on the way... look for an out of the way spot. NOT a rest stop. Carry him to where you want him to go. Most likely, he'll just pee in the car on the way. Don't worry about feeding him. He'll be fine. My guy flew to me across the US. He wasn't out of the kennel for any potty breaks until we were home. IMO, the safest way to travel with him is put him in a kennel and don't let him out until you get home. BUT, to each his own. It didn't cause Grim to potty in his kennel once we were home. His kennel came from the breeder, so the scent was already there. I think that had something to do with how well he settled into it, so bringing something to rub onto his mom's body to take with you (or a few, in case they get soiled) would be a great idea. The play area is great, but not so good for house breaking.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 AM   #24 (permalink)

I have done many of dog transports, some are all day drives lasting days at a time. Each dog is different, but typically for a puppy I plan for potty breaks every few hours. As others have mentioned off the beaten path areas are great, just keep a close eye on him/her to make sure he is stying out of trouble. I will take some food with me, but do not feed a full meal. I will hand feed single bites of kibble (for multiple reasons...I do not want to cause motion sickness, and I am starting to create a bond with this baby that is going through a move, which can be stressful) Make sure you take plenty of water, but you can also regulate the amount you are giving. You want to make sure the dog has plenty of water, but not 'hurting' to go potty before you can get 10miles down the road.

As for the crates...The set up you have pictured looks great. I am not sure the temporary fix will work for more than a week or so. I also temporarily house many different dogs and they all stay in kennels throughout the house. Some in my room and some not, usually the noisy puppies are downstairs within hearing distance. Either way is effective, it comes down to preference. I would highly recommend a kennel if you choose to utilize your bedroom. Garage sales, wal-mart, craigs list, all great resources.
kchapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #25 (permalink)

I would definitely let him sleep in your room with you at night no matter what type of crate/kennel you use. That is part of the bonding experience and he needs to be able to see you and know your there. Remember he just left his momma and littermates and will be scared. It also let's you know when he needs to go potty. He will have accidents and I dont like the idea of letting them lay in their urine as a learning tool as some seem to think they can hold it all night at 8 weeks. He is just a baby and will eventually be able to hold it all night.

By the way, your kennel set up for the pup looks awesome! Great job!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

THE BOY IS HOME! We picked him up early this morning and took a 6 hours drive home. Here is what we brought. A small crate (Yes, we decided to buy one), a seat cover, towel, toys, cleaning supplies, kibble, water, collar and leash. His bag was bigger than OUR bag (we stay at the hotel the night before). When he first got in the truck there were this quiet moment where he just sit on my lap looking around, then all in sudden he start whine and cry and OMG. I thought this is going to be the longest ride ever! He keeps trying to get over to my husband who was driving (we have a chevy crew cab with the middle front seat can be lifted up). So my husband told me to lift that seat up and let him lay on the towel between us. I felt like it should be better if I hold him or put him in the crate but both method failed miserably. But after I let him sit between us, he fell asleep almost right away! He snuggled either by my husband or by me. We stop every hour and a half or so and as soon as we let him out he pee right away. At second stop we decided to let him have a few kibbles. Our third stop we went thru drive thru to get our food then go park by the green area at one of the empty campus parking lot. We put the tailgate down, sit and eat our lunch. We let the pup wander around since it is far from road and he hasn't been trying to get away. And there he did it, poop like a big boy! We put him back in the truck and he went back to sleep. We whine every time he get back in the truck but less and less every time. Finally we got home after 7.5 hours including stops, ACCIDENT FREE! We are super tired now and so is he. We gave him a full meal and a bath. Give ourselves a bath. He pee on our carpet twice since we get home but did manage to do "number 2" outside. We are just going to worry about house breaking tomorrow. Right now we are ready to head to bed and the puppy is in the crate sleeping. Hoping for a smooth night! Thank you GSD forums for helping us to this point. Its only been one day but we believe we chose the right puppy
Attached Thumbnails
picking up the boy this weekend, need help!-photo-28.jpg   picking up the boy this weekend, need help!-photo-1-7.jpg   picking up the boy this weekend, need help!-photo-2-7.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #27 (permalink)

He looks awesome! Definitely going to enhance your life, congrats.
Danger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #28 (permalink)
Mog

Glad everything went well! Good looking dog. Let us know how he does his first night

Maximus - Male Sable - Born 1/30/2013
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

I started this thread a couple of days before we pick up Lincoln. Now that we have had him for a week, I have a confession to make....

On my question number 4 about the crate, that was a stupid question. The night before we pick him up we were at the hotel in Dallas close to PetCo. We decided to go for a final shopping to make sure we have everything and we bought another crate. I was very much against the idea of buying another crate even though many people here tells me I should get one. WELL, without this crate, our nights would be miserable. With the crate, he manage to hold it through the night the very second night home. There is no way my plastic storage container was going to fly. He could knock that down no problem just like one for the replier said. The crate DOES create a den atmosphere. Now Lincoln would go into his crate by himself when he is tired. I didn't even have to teach him crate game. Two crates don't confused him either. In the day time he goes into the big crate with divider. At night he goes into small crate by our bed. Thanks everyone who gave me this advice!

Oh and on the side note, we brought everything I state in my question #3 when we pick him up. We only use collar, leash, water bowl, water, towel, toys, and poop bag. He didn't use the crate. He didn't get car sick. He sleeps in the middle between us on the beach towel all the way home. We did stop every hour or hour and a half or so. Took us 7 hours for the whole trip but it was a great memory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkennedy View Post
We are picking up the puppy from the breeder this Saturday. It is going to be a 6 hours drive. This is the list of questions:
1. Do we need to feed him during the 6 hours? Does it matter what time we pick him up? Right after he ate?
2. We don't want to let the puppy relieve himself at the rest stop. Any suggestion on where else we can let him go do it?
3. We planned on bringing harness/collar, leash, water bowl, water, paper towel, cleaner, towel, toys, poop bags, bath wipes, blanket
4. We have a designated area for him where he will be in while we are at work. His crate is inside it (see picture). it is a huge crate with divider. Someone suggested to me that we should keep him in our bedroom at night. To do that, do I need to have another crate? Is it necessary for him to be in the room with us? If we have two crates, would that confuse him for crate training?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.