Puppy fever. Am I crazy?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy fever. Am I crazy??

Hey guys,

Bella is going to be a year old this April, and lately I've been having the worse puppy fever. Lol I know this is INSANE because it wasn't that long ago (4-5 months) that Bella was a baby and driving me crazy. Now she's getting more behaved and I want to do it all over again?? Please tell me this is a normal feeling and it will pass, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Bella Von Sanders - Sable GSD - 04-21-12
Mocha, Josie, & Siri - three VERY spoiled house cats
dgray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have phases of puppy fever. Its normal. Personally though, I'd wait until Bella is closer to two years old and more adult behaviors are cemented before another pup comes in.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA, RATI 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

There's nothing like the puppy years (or months rather )
MarkMulder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray View Post
Hey guys,

Bella is going to be a year old this April, and lately I've been having the worse puppy fever. Lol I know this is INSANE because it wasn't that long ago (4-5 months) that Bella was a baby and driving me crazy. Now she's getting more behaved and I want to do it all over again?? Please tell me this is a normal feeling and it will pass, lol. Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Same here. I have to remind myself how relaxed it is now. WD is one year old but another Shepherd, although so tempting will do me in.
He played with a female GSD on the beach this weekend and it was love at first sight between the two. She was 9 months old. I got a glimpse of how life would be with two young dogs. I think he would forget about humans and the only ones having fun would be the dogs.
When they are so close in age you'll end up with two old dogs in the end. I hope I can hold off to a pup when he is around four years old. That doesn't go for the little dog that I about to start looking for though......

Last edited by wolfy dog; 02-19-2013 at 06:57 PM.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray View Post
Hey guys,

Bella is going to be a year old this April, and lately I've been having the worse puppy fever. Lol I know this is INSANE because it wasn't that long ago (4-5 months) that Bella was a baby and driving me crazy. Now she's getting more behaved and I want to do it all over again?? Please tell me this is a normal feeling and it will pass, lol.

I don't know if its normal, but I'm right there with you. I have managed to hold off and I'm thinking later this year. Mine will be 2 in September.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Karlo was such a good pup, it wasn't like I even had a puppy in the house. And at 7 months, he looked adult.
I've had puppy fever forever, but know I got lucky with Karlo, he was sooo easy and fun.
I'd love to foster a litter or two to get my puppy fix. Is fostering an option for you?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

yes puppy fever is normal, but i also would wait a year or so for bella to fully develop.
huntergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I go through spurts. I was very happy I waited until Jazzy was older (20 months when he came home) which was still 4-6 months earlier then planned but there was only one litter planned for the year so I went ahead.

Jazzy's obedience is excellent and her manners very good so it wasn't a issue having a puppy come into the house, I didn't have to focus on her at the same time 24/7. She still gets lots of attention but there are days it's 50/50 or 70/30 and it doesn't really matter. Now Delgado is a little older but I wouldn't even consider another dog even a adult for at least another year as I have many more plans with his training I want to focus on.

Each dog takes a percentage of your time and I don't want to spread myself thin just for the sake of adding even one more dog. No matter how small and cute and fluffy lol

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Is fostering an option for you?
I would love to foster! Unfortunately, my schedule is hectic right now and the foster would have to be crated for long days while I'm at school/work. Bella is used to it, but I couldn't do that to a foster who needs a lot of attention etc.

I need to wait to get another puppy when I'm in a house of my own, and I have a big fenced in yard! I just day dream about furry little bicolor male puppies. Lol... It doesn't help my breeder is having another litter soon either!

Plus, my fiancÚ said he'd leave me if I brought home a puppy anytime soon! LOL. The three cats and Bella are enough for him right now.

Bella Von Sanders - Sable GSD - 04-21-12
Mocha, Josie, & Siri - three VERY spoiled house cats
dgray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok I hear what your saying but---my girl is 9 months and my boy only 4 months. Crazy you might say-- I so no it's Awesome. My girl was just at the point of everyone saying wow what a good little puppy and my husband said " let's get a little one fir her to play with". They are so adorable together. We love them both so much. I'll admit the first couple of weeks were crazy but definitely worth it. Some people who wait a couple of years have problems introducing a new member into the family. My girl accepted him from day one.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
AngVi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.