Puppy almost leaving because of Nipping,Help ! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboss View Post
Well I'm 20 if that matters...I got him with 45 days.

When i leash him he starts to jump like a cow and chew the leash and cry , i tried this...
I'd just leash him anyway, treat him when you have the leash on, sit with him, get him used to it. He'll stop crying eventually if you make it fun. PLay with him after you put it on so he gets distracted, maybe put a harness on him so its not dangling right below his chin but rather resting on his back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Call your breeder and ask for advice.
Personally I would not ask advice from a breeder who adopts them out so young. I would actually call him/her and tell him/her to keep the next litter until the pups are 9 weeks old because of this issue.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hey guys,I was sitting on the couch ,and he was really hyper around the house,then he started jumping on the couch and biting our hands and arms,I Said no and put im back on te ground,then he Started barking and biting back until I put him in a room for 10 seconds alone,then went to the kitchen and laid down. Whats up with him:?
Theboss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Hey guys,I was sitting on the couch ,and he was really hyper around the house,then he started jumping on the couch and biting our hands and arms,I Said no and put im back on te ground,then he Started barking and biting back until I put him in a room for 10 seconds alone,then went to the kitchen and laid down. Whats up with him:?
He is German Shepherd Puppy! Should have done your research on the breed before you brought one home... their classic nickname is"landsharks" and for good reason, I think they bite more as puppies than any other breed. Stick to one method like walking away/ignoring, redirecting ect and only use the one method you havent had him for that long! He is still VERY young, he will have at least another 2 - 3 months of this, but you can teach the "gentle"command so he doesnt bite so hard, but keep him on a leash at all times and just walk around the house doing normal stuff dont drag him but he will follow that will help too.... There is nothing "up" with your puppy he is just being a GSD!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
It's called "a time out". No longer than 5 seconds or else he will get into trouble behind closed doors. You did that well.
Unfortunately there is not much time for you to sit on your couch (he showed you) or to sleep in because you will be raising a great dog and that just doesn't happen by itself. Sign him up for a class today. Check out Association of Pet Dog Trainers - Dog Training Resources for the more gentler training methods.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
And also i cant teach him to "leave it" , hes too stubborn and hyperactive... Couldnt find a decent method on the internet for that (he wont give up getting the treat in any way)
He's not stubborn, he's a baby puppy. He's not obeying commands because he hasn't learned them yet. Here is a video for how to teach "leave it":

Have you watched the other video I posted? I guarantee that if you spend a few minutes several times a day (maybe with a handful of his kibble at mealtime), he WILL learn impulse control. You need to understand that nothing will happen overnight, training takes time and baby puppies have a very short attention span. Be patient. Be persistent. Wait him out if he's mugging you for the treat. As soon as he realizes that NOT going for it is exactly what makes you give it to him, he'll start cooperating with you. But it might take a few training sessions or even a few days to figure it out. If you keep trying stuff and giving up if it doesn't work immediately you'll never make any progress.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Have you tired redirecting to a toy? And then playing with him with the toy?

The reason he's not responding to the "off" command and the "leave it" command is that he doesn't know what they mean. Training is a process, and there's simply no way that a 2-1/2 month old puppy has fully learned those commands.

This game is great for teaching impulse control - work on it every day and you will see some progress:

"It's Yer Choice" - YouTube

How have you trained the other commands?
Wow,I tried this and hes learning super fast. I didnt even need to put him on a leash to Leave the biscuit on the floor,he just sat there and Waited. (I Need to give it in his mouth though ,he doens't even catch it,But I cant do the leave on the paw yet. haha)
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I was just curious about if you were a teen or an adult. We do have some young teens sometimes. Are you in the US? I'm also curious about the apartment/farm thing. Are you on a farm? Or in an apartment? Bite inhibition is started by the mom and litter mates if the pup isn't taken too soon. Unfortunately, this means more work for you because the pup was sold so soon. Also a reason to wonder if you're in the US or somewhere else. Sounds like a smart pup! Do you have any pics to share?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I was just curious about if you were a teen or an adult. We do have some young teens sometimes. Are you in the US? I'm also curious about the apartment/farm thing. Are you on a farm? Or in an apartment? Bite inhibition is started by the mom and litter mates if the pup isn't taken too soon. Unfortunately, this means more work for you because the pup was sold so soon. Also a reason to wonder if you're in the US or somewhere else. Sounds like a smart pup! Do you have any pics to share?
Nah I don't ,I have them both that's why!

I Wanna know what should I do when he starts jumping on the couch biting our arms to call for attention. Nothing works,Cant redirect to toy, and if I lock him for 10 seconds he just comes back! yelping doenst works too well also,and When I put him down he comes back biting again
Old 02-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He is adorable. If you do not want the dog on the couch, do not let him up there, ever. I let mine on the couch, so that isn't really an issue here, but I train the OFF command, so they will get off if for some reason I want them to.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.