How much water is needed for a 7 wk GSD pup? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 01:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I'd seriously question anything a breeder who sells pups at 7 weeks says. All puppies and dogs should always have fresh water available to them. It's our job to house break them, but never at the expense of the pup's health or well being. They can't tell us when they're thirsty. I've house broken numerous pups and NEVER limited or withheld water, so it can be done. Some are quick, some take a little longer. If your pup is having watery stools, I can assure you it has NOTHING to do with how much water it's drinking. Medically, I can tell you that the bowels will retain or reabsorb water regardless of intake. Especially when a pup is having diarrhea, you need to make sure that the pup is well hydrated! Your breeder need their head examined. Take the pup to the vet. ASAP.
I agree with everything stated above.
That extra week with mama dog is important for more reasons than we probably even understand.

and I will add this...Overview of Puppy Age Sale Laws

California’s law makes it a misdemeanor to sell a puppy under the age of eight weeks as does Nebraska's. Violation of the California law can incur a fine of up to $250. Most state penalties, if even specified, range from a fine of $100 to a possible 30 days in jail. Many of the statutes make the action unlawful, but fail to describe what would happen to a person who violates the section.

What happens in those states without such laws? This answer is less than clear. Certainly a retailer who sells a puppy not yet weaned from his or her mother and able to eat on his or her own is not acting in the best interests of the puppy. Should the puppy then die or suffer inhumanely, despite the best efforts of the pet purchaser, the retailer could conceivably face animal cruelty charges. Moreover, in those states that have enacted pet purchaser protection laws, a possible claim that the merchant violated an implied warranty could be raised. Without a definitive law, the best action by a purchaser is to research the breed he or she wishes to purchase or talk to a veterinarian.
Shadow GSD 1993-2005
Kazar GSD 1999-2010
Maybelline Feral 2005
Miss Molly GSD 2011-2014
Zazzle! GSD 2014
warpwr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

THIS IS OFF TOPIC

my pup was weaned at 5 weeks onto raw, and i dunno how much contact a mom has after weaning, im thinking not much? When I viewed the 5 weeks old they were in a pen in the living room and eating beef at that time. At 7 weeks when I picked her up/ interacted with the family for hours the momma did bark once when I went to grab a pup. I did alot more in that week to teach the pup than her litter or mom ever couldve. We arent some lame version of owner who desires a pup that never bites therefore needs littermates to teach it. My dog is gonna be way above those pups ever will, and it will only take a few weeks to be a better dog than 90%. Dont set your standards low.

Last edited by volcano; 02-09-2013 at 03:03 AM.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the replies! I appreciate the help everyone offered. I took her to our vet and she has coccidia. He put her on Albon and says she should be fine in a few days. And if not, then a return trip to see him will be in order. He assures me this is a common problem found in most kennels. She has gained almost three pounds and the vet put his approval on her overall health. She did not come from a puppy mill, but a breeder near us. We inspected his kennels and her parents. He comes highly recommended. I do realize the debate about the best age to take them away from the mother, and will admit it did seem a bit early to me. But she does come from a working line, and as of now seems to be doing fine, other than the coccidia. Thanks again, as I must admit, the early puppy days make me nervous. Also, I am a bit paranoid due to the fact that we lost our last GSD to seizures when he was only 3 yrs old.
ashtynleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Its great to hear shes gaining weight.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

A pup should not be without water. Pups on raw diet drink WAY less than a pup on kibble! I saw Volcano had a training program that will out do all other siblings. I kept Ava, and will take you up on that. LOL Haven't been on this forum in a while so I thought I would check it out. Some good posts going here. I will try to keep checking from time to time. But would rather train than type. LOL Take care Pete
isachev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
my pup was weaned at 5 weeks onto raw,
Kind of OT, but...
There's a lot more than goes on other than nursing, in a puppy's world.
There's interaction with siblings which is one of the ways to build in bite inhibition, and just good ol' socialization.
Mom will often still discipline the puppies, as well, which is good for them.

As to the amount of water? UNLIMITED. Always. Other than at night when the puppy is sleeping. Also if you're gone 8 hrs. a day look at getting a water bottle to put on the crate.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.