2 pups at once - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 pups at once

Hi,

I'm planning to get a GSD female pup (likely to be spayed at young age) and I've just learned that one of my flatmates wants a staff male pup at the same time.

Any experience with or opinion on this kind of pairing, 2 dogs of same age different sexes?

Thx.
Tom888 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

There have been lots of threads on this issue (all usually against 2 at once) but could you give some details on your situation? I'm assuming since you're roommates, that each of you will be the primary caretaker for your own pup? Is there space to raise them separately? Etc.
lemonadeicedtea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonadeicedtea View Post
There have been lots of threads on this issue (all usually against 2 at once) but could you give some details on your situation? I'm assuming since you're roommates, that each of you will be the primary caretaker for your own pup? Is there space to raise them separately? Etc.
Yes your assumption is right.

Regarding space, I'd say there is enough space to raise them both but if they would have to be fully separated at all times (e.g. due to aggression towards each other) that would make the thing unfeasible and annoying. Being separated while not under supervision is not a problem though.

Both me and a friend of mine used to have intact females when I was a child, they must have been kept on a leash when together. I'd like to avoid such a situation.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom888 View Post

Regarding space, I'd say there is enough space to raise them both but if they would have to be fully separated at all times (e.g. due to aggression towards each other) that would make the thing unfeasible and annoying.
They should be kept separated, with the exception of regular supervised play time, regardless of whether or not they are aggressive with each other. You don't want the two puppies to bond with each other, and have their owners secondary to that bond. You will both want your dog to bond to you.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sit,stay View Post
They should be kept separated, with the exception of regular supervised play time, regardless of whether or not they are aggressive with each other. You don't want the two puppies to bond with each other, and have their owners secondary to that bond. You will both want your dog to bond to you.
Sheilah
Why? I just do not understand this attitude.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sit,stay View Post
Sheilah
Hmm, thanks for pointing that out. Well, I'm planning to keep mine in my room anyway when I'm not at home and she would also sleep there so the time the 2 dogs would spend together would be only when I'm in the kitchen/living room/etc. maximum a couple of hours per day.

Do you think it's short time enough to prevent them from bonding with each other?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Why? I just do not understand this attitude.
I guess sooner or later one of us will move away, and there will be times the dogs need to stay alone. If they are not used to it or to the fact the other dog is not around it might cause problems? Just my interpretation though.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I guess sooner or later one of us will move away, and there will be times the dogs need to stay alone. If they are not used to it or to the fact the other dog is not around it might cause problems? Just my interpretation though.
I see them say this a lot even when puppies are going to one family and will always be together. I don't understand. I have been around dogs for a lot of years, I've owned littermates myself and even though they are bonded to each other they were also bonded to the rest of the family. I don't understand the need to have the dog bond to ONLY me. I just don't get it. Lots and lots of people have multiple dog households. Lots of people have littermates without any problems at all. I think they make a way to big a deal out of the whole thing.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
It's more due to the current leading thoughts on training. You want the dog to bond to YOU so that it will do anything for YOU. Play time is a huge reward and it should be with YOU. But for puppies...and dogs in general it is usually easier to bond with other dogs (makes sense) so when you allow two puppies to bond more to each other than to their handlers what you end up having is two dogs that would rather play with each other than with their handlers. Again, play time is a reward, and if they'd rather play with each other than play with you and make you happy it makes training more difficult.

So in a situation where two dogs are playing and you want to start training...why would they stop? They want to play with each other rather than with you! You're boring to them! You're not their best friend, their best friend is the puppy they're playing with.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
You want the dog to bond to YOU so that it will do anything for YOU. Play time is a huge reward and it should be with YOU.
Sounds much better than having (the clicker's sound followed by) a treat as the only motivation for the pup.

What you're saying is logical and I tend to agree. Still I'd like to ask that if this is true how do owners of more than one dog manage? (as far as I can see there's quite a lot of them)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.