still confused, what coat type will she be? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default still confused, what coat type will she be?

Hi

I am a new German Shepherd owner. I am still very confused about what type of coat Lily will have. Previous post have suggested a long coat but I am not so sure I think it might have been just puppy fluff. She now has short hair all over her body.

She is 15 weeks in the attached photos.

Does anyone know what type of coat she will end up with?

Some people have suggested plush (not sure what this is) some people have suggested semi long (again not sure what is meant by this) and others have suggested long stock coat. I have no idea what they mean by any of these. I just assumed I would either get a stock coat (short hair) or a long coat (lassy type).

How do you tell if she will have an undercoat?

Can we tell at this age what she will end up like.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
still confused, what coat type will she be?-changed1.jpg   still confused, what coat type will she be?-changed2.jpg   still confused, what coat type will she be?-changed3.jpg   still confused, what coat type will she be?-changed4.jpg   still confused, what coat type will she be?-changed5.jpg  

jaymas100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

"Plush" is a descriptive term, not a coat type. She's definitely a coatie. Most coaties are long stock coats, meaning they have an undercoat. True long coats do not have an undercoat, but they're much less common and it's probably too soon to tell since she's still got her wooly puppy coat. All of my coaties are/have been long stock coats, so I couldn't tell you if there's any difference between them and true longcoats at this age.

There is no such thing as "semi-long", although long coats can vary in length, just like stock coats can. The long hair around her ears is what gives her away as a coatie, regardless of what the fur on the rest of her body looks like.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think she may be a coatie my pup clay had a similar coat lenth at your pups age hear are some pics so you can see what your pups coat lenth may look like in a few months, clay is just under 7 months hope i helped and your puppy is beauitful

Last edited by happyblond; 02-12-2013 at 03:23 PM.
happyblond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Dear Debbie,
Thank you for your information. I guess I will have to wait and see what the true coat length will be. I don't really mind. We would love her if she had spikey purple hair. It nice watching her change.
Sam
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Dear Happy blonde,
Thank you for sharing your pictures. It is really nice to see how much they change. I love Clay especially his colour he is simply beautiful. In the second picture he has that wonderful majestic look that some shepherds get. I hope she looks a little like this at 7 months because he is just gorgeous.
Sam
Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Congrats...you have a cute long stock coated puppy.....no matter what "term" anyone uses, the puppy IS a long stock coated puppy.

Best wishes....your puppy is very cute!
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am new to this forum and I can't figure out how to post a question... so I apologize for posing it on this thread. I am a first time GS owner. My puppy is going to be 17 weeks old tomorrow. I paid A LOT of money for her, and I am told that she doesn't look pure breed because her coat is chocolate and tan, no black... Also, when I got her two weeks ago, she looked really undernoorished, at only 10.4lbs, with poor muscle tone. She is now 15.7lbs. Her coat looks very fuzzy and has no shine at all. In the beginning I thought it was due to poor diet, or maybe she was going to shed this coat in exchange for a more lush one... but after the comment that about looking like a mutt... I just have to wonder... I would love to post a photo, if someone can suggest me how.
DD126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Load your pictures onto a site like flickr or photobucket, and copy the direct link. Then on here, in the post box, click the little image icon (the little yellow one with the mountain), paste the link info into it, and wa-la! Photo!

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I can tell you what kind of coat she has but only with CAREFUL observation. You must immediately send her to me and let me keep her forever. Then I will be able to tell toy.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you for the tip on pics!! These aren't the best pics, but they show the color as close to what it looks like in person

DD126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.