9 week old puppy picky eater? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 04:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 9 week old puppy picky eater?

My puppy is 9 weeks when I feed him in the morning he is all excited when I'm putting the food I n the bowl by the way I feed him innova large breed puppy food when I put it down he sniffs and continues to whine ..so I put some of the food in my hand he eats it out of my hand I put some on the floor he eats it off the floor but not the bowl .. than in the afternoon for the second time he dident really want to eat it I put it in my hand again and he ate it all .. than tonight I gave him his food even with me putting it on the floor or in my hand he wasn't intrested..idk if its the bowl or the food he eats treats he loves them so he is eating idk if its normal ? .. also I just got him vaccinated for his second round of shots Thursday so I toke him in petsmart he walked around for a few mins dident let him near other dogs just to get him out of the house I washed his paws when I got home just incase if the floor was dirty he dident put his paws In his mouth I tested him for parvo when he was 7weeks and he dident have it he is pooping normal and playing and drinking so idk wat to think help ?
KristenMarino13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oh my pup did that too- only wanted to eat from my hand or the floor! Lol!
I put him in his crate with the food and he eventually ate it. He is too distracted to eat out of his crate. It took a few days and now he can eat out of his crate. Days he doesn't eat- I put bowl in crate an he eats when he realized there is nothing better to do.
LauraJav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

They can also quickly train you to hand feed them. My aunt's dog had her quite well trained ... she never ate from a bowl OR the floor .. only from the hand. Unless you want to do that for 10 years, I wouldn't do it now!
Galathiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know the feeing, I went through that too. But like the Galathiel said, they'll train you to hand feed them.
You checked your puppy is healthy so now remember, he wont let himself starve.
Keep feeding him and take his bowl away after maybe 20 minutes if he ignores it. You can try giving him his bowl again a little bit later, if you can, like maybe an hour later if you can or want to. Or just wait until his next feeding and give him his food but dont leave it longer than 30 minutes.
You can try adding water to his kibble. That's supposed to help. Or you can add a little bit of raw meat or canned food or tripe or whatever you'd like as a topper, really, just to make it harder for him to resist so he'll want to eat from his bowl. If that is something you dont want to keep up, you can always phase it out after he gets used to eating from his bowl when you feed him.
Phoebes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh but don't let him train you to make his food yummier. By that I mean, when you take it away you have to keep it away. If you're going to add anything to his food, do it from the start. Like if it's his dinner time, serve him whatever it is you want to give him from the get go. Dont wait and see if he ignores it before you add more goodies to it.
I knew a family who did just that with their show dog. She would ignore her food, they'd panic and add chicken, give it back to her, they'd add meat, give it back.. so they encouraged her to be a very picky eater. You need to stay firm.
Phoebes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.