Emma - one furry fireball - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Emma - one furry fireball

First - thanks for all the help provided here in my search for a new companion. It was most helpful

Friday I picked out Emma from a choice of 4 females. She came from a backyard breeder - yes I know the horror stories, but I think I did OK. Emma is 8 weeks old, very smart and is almost house broken after just 2 days - if we pay attention. It been cold and raining outside, so she is a bit reluctant at times.

So Friday was a very stressful day for her. Saturday she perked up a bit and today she is just an energetic ball of fur. We have been working hard on socialization and the mouthing. She is very mouthy today and I have been working on her taking it easy. Thanks for the links on the subject posted here

Her mom is a search dog in training along with her handler, specializing in explosives. Mom was on site and very friendly and highly energetic. The sire is a working K9 search/rescue/protection. Hips and elbows on both are good.

In choosing her (she actually chose me) I did some basic testing, such as hunting for treats, holding and seeing the basic reaction, following and watching temperment. One of the pups was very aggressive at biting and pulling and did not want to be held - even got me once. Puppy teeth are very very sharp. One just wanted to run around the yard and was easily distracted by other things. The two I concentrated on did well in the basic tests, but Emma seemed the most affectionate and did better in the search for the treats and loud noise test - being more curious than afraid. The breeder indicated she was the lover of the group.

In the end when it came time to decide. Mom was in the yard and the pups were following her. Emma left her and came to me and laid down on my feet. My adult son thought she was the best of the bunch too. She is black and tan with a broad head and well developed nose - not long and skinny. Vet indicated the bite is perfect.

Before we left I had the handler rub a blanket all over mom to help in the transition. My son held her in his lap for the hour drive. She did OK, but did have an upset tummy. Once home she perked up and had a bite to eat and drink before the second trip to the vet. Vet check was good - no issues so she got her first shots and de-worm. Vet went over a lot of issues an as parvo is in our area, made it very clear she should not be out socializing with other dogs until we get all of her shots completed. So for now walks will be around home only.

I got two hours sleep the Friday night taking her out to potty ever hour (however I did let her drink every time she cam in), Last night was much better with only two trips (I withheld the water until morning). Today only two accidents - both puddles.

She does have a touch of the runs so I mixed up some tuna and rice which seems to be helping. Vet indicated it was probably a change in diet. Breeder had her on Basic Purina puppy chow and I changed her over to Chicken Soup brand - large breed puppy mix recommended by a local pet store that specializes in healthy foods. They carry just about everything, so if there is something better please let me know,

So far she is a very quiet puppy and loves to play tug and munch on her squeaky fox and chew bone that you can hide treets in. She is very affectionate with lots of kisses. She did bark and jump on the tennis ball today too, but its too big for her to bite, so were getting a smaller one. She also has learned to stay in the kitchen and dinning room on the vinyl and not roam on the carpet. Don't know how long that will last, but so far so good.

Later today she will get her first bath - this should be fun.

Thanks again for all the help and any suggestion are welcome.

One last question - are the little raw hide chew sticks OK for her at this age?

Ill try and post a picture later.

Thanks - Keith
POWERSCOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Emma - one furry fireball

Generally backyard breeding is a no no. But if you got to view mum and dad and the breeder seemed like a decent person who "knows" what they are doing, then it should be okay. Only thing is she probably won't meet the gsd standard, but if you want a best friend who will be super loyal and adore you, it doesn't matter. My girl is way too big, but I love her just the same.
Make sure you put up plenty of photos of her progress.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Raintheshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSCOL View Post
Friday I picked out Emma from a choice of 4 females. She came from a backyard breeder - ...

Her mom is a search dog in training along with her handler, specializing in explosives. Mom was on site and very friendly and highly energetic. The sire is a working K9 search/rescue/protection. Hips and elbows on both are good.
I would not call that a back yard breeding. BYB's don't bother with hips or elbows. They don't bother with training their dogs. They are ONLY in it for the money.

Sounds like you got her from what I would call a hobby breeder.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

ahhhh . First of all congratulations on your pup. Sincerely hope for many long years together.

you can stop reading here if you wish .

however "Her mom is a search dog in training along with her handler, specializing in explosives"

this I would find great difficulty believing . Dogs going in to this have one agenda --- work -- not taking time off for litters of pups , which take a good 4 months out of training and working time (females) , 2 months gestation , 2 months raising litter.
The "backyard" breeder would not be doing the training or own the dog -- nor have access to material to train.

Question --- why did they not take the responsibilty to have the pup vetted themselves , given the vet health check to determine there was not some defect such as a heart murmur before releasing her into your care.

but again hope pup is strong and healthy and of good temperament and everything you would want in a dog.

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Smile

Here is the situation with the breeder. He is an axillary sheriff officer going through training and attending colledige to get his degree. As he is Native American the state and federal government have a program for this (both him and the dog). His is not a hobby breeder. He is working with the officer that had the sire and they decided to have a litter out of her as she was showing great promise in her training. I guess to put is in easy terms, both the handerler and dam are going to school. So I know I am taking a bit of a risk.

In years past I have bred Old English Sheep dogs, so I know about hobby breading. I got my "Sassie" from a back yard breeder and in the 3 litters had 2 very good show dogs and 3 working dogs actually working sheep. She only threw litters of 3 and 4. Unfortunately Sassie was not a good mom on the last litter so I has her spayed. Sassie raised and herded my two kids back then. She knew not to let them get into trouble in the yard. They could climb all over her and all she would do is lick. Would love to have another some day.

To keep Sassie company I had several Golden's and a mix breed, "Sierra". She was 1/2 German Shepherd and 1/2 Border Collie (extremely smart). She survived Sassie and was a compainon to my last Golden, "Buddy" who we lost to old age just before Christmas - not the smartest golden I have had. He was out of two champion show dogs. You probably have read my post on Golden's being bred out of the hunting ability, thus I was looking for a working line German Shepherd.

Begin retired I am on a limited budget and cant afford the $1000 to 3K "best" GSD's. And per my future trainer and other in the business I have talked too, these "best" dogs don't pan out sometimes. So after hearing about these dogs I went and looked. The breeder is poor, going to school and decide to try and make some $$$$.

If mom is good enough to be going trough training and dad is a current working K9 I decided to roll the dice. I am not planning on breeding and wanted a solid companion free of major defects.

As smart as Emma appears to be in learning the rules, I am a very happy camper. I may not even register her. In all the puppies I have raised I have never had a dog learn as fast and be as affectionate as her at this point.

Now on a funny note, she finally barked tonight. I was rolling the tennis ball across the floor - she backed up for a second, barked then attacked. Its way to big for her mouth, but she sure had fun trying. She loves to be held (when she wants too) and fell asleep on my lap (wonder how long that will last)

Bottom line I know she is a pure-bred, comes from working stock, and shows great promise for a lot of years to come - especially for and old fart that needs someone to keep him active.

Folks - thanks for any help and advice. This is a great place to learn.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

best wishes to you .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here is a picture of her
Attached Thumbnails
Emma - one furry fireball-img_1116.jpg  
Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Emma - one furry fireball

She is adorable, well done

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Raintheshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

She's a real heartbreaker. Very cute!

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks so much.
Its amazing how this little fireball is changing. Her ears perked up today. She really likes to mouth in playing (getting better in pressure control unless wound up) and is now getting a bit more verbal in what she wants. She loves tummy rubs and her chew toy. She spends a lot of time right under my feet.

If I may ask a training question. I have been working with her on the mouthing boundaries and the word NO using my open hand as a signal. On a couple of occasions he has backed up, barked and then jumped forward trying to nip at the open flat hand like it was a game. On one occasion I did move my hand forward while saying no and lightly swated her nose (more of a bump with the palm of my hand). I got a slight verbal yelp from her, she sat down and gave me a pouting look, then came forward and just licked my hand. It seemed to be very effective. I am wondering if this is OK

Only real issue we have had is a bit of diarrhea and its getting a lot better with a bit of cooked rice added to the puppy food. Ill continue this for a few days and wean back to straight food and then work to shift her over to better puppy food. The brand Chicken Soop was recomended along with Imes and Purenia 1 - all large breed puppy chow. I do have a lot of other brands available at the local shops here and Wall-Mart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.