Emma - one furry fireball - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I'd have her checked for worms before changing food. I hope things work out with her. The dam is going through training to be a police dog? I wasn't sure if I understood that part right. Do you have a pedigree? I wouldn't swat her (or whatever you want to call it) for puppy biting. I'd use a toy to distract her with... then get her to play with the toy. Especially given her reaction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

She just got her first de-wormer last Friday. Stools today are almost normal. Vet thought changing her diet set her off and I put her back on the original Purina puppy chow the breeder used with a bit of rice to settle things down. Is working well.

I have used the cooked rice trick with a lot of dogs in the past.

I only had a few conversations with the breeder. It is my understanding she was being trained in Search. Her first training was for sniffing our gun powered and she was doing well. The breeder is in training for law enforcement at the local college, including K9 support - sponsored by the County Sheriffs and his tribe - call it an inturnship program.

I am in the process of getting the pedigree, but its really not important to me. I got her as a companion and to keep me active in my retirement- which she is surely doing. I hope to get involved in the field exercises with her through a local club here - more fun than AKC championships. The other thing I am hoping for is she will work with my horses and accompany me and the wife on our trail rides, but that is down the road. She did not know what to think of the horses when I introduced her to them yesterday, while holding her in my arms. She did a lot of sniffing, and seemed a bit scared at first. The horses were curious too, sniffing back.

I played a game today with her today in hiding treats around the room. Once she understood there were more hidden she did a very good job of finding them. Some were in plane sight and others hidden in or under things. It was a lot of fun for her and me. Right now she is under my chair sleeping.

Thanks for any help.
POWERSCOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

My apologies, I missed the first page of this thread before I responded. My computer loads them backwards, so sometimes I miss that. Pretty much makes most of my post inaccurate. Sorry again!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

No worries - I believe the young man told the truth. His Dam is a beautiful and friendly dog. Very energetic, so I know where Emma got her fireball energy from.

As for your computer loading the posts backwards you can change that in your personal settings. It is under how posts are ordered. I guess it is a default to put newest first. Drove me nuts until I discovered how to fix it.

I have learned so much here in reading past posts and searches. Fun place to be apart of.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I found it and changed it. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

I may change Emma's name to Tsunami Just kidding. She is much more active every day.

Her stools have firmed up - the rice added to the puppy food and change back to the original puppy chow worked, so now I can slowly work her over to the large breed puppy food. If I have been reading correctly I should do it slowly over a week or so. She is about 90% house broken with only a few puddles if we are not watching.

The mouthing is becoming more gentile. This little fireball has two moods - full out terror playing - she gives it all her heart, and sleeping under my chair.. She is finally attacking and returning the tennis ball. We have had a few tussles on who is boss and what it means to settle down and she now knows to roll over for her favorite thing - tummy rubs. I save those for a reward for a good job.

She is really a love and when I yelp if she plays too rough, she immediately lays down and waites for a positive response from me. She is also getting very good at finding the hiden treet.

Speaking of treats - what brands and flavors do your doge love? I would like to try a few out before the hard training begins. She likes what I have "Train Me" bacon flavor brand from Petco, but does not gobble them up like I have had dogs do in the past.

Also at just past 9 weeks her ears are up. Its funny to watch her radar work.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.