What kind of supplies will I need for my new puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mog

Default What kind of supplies will I need for my new puppy?

Hi,

I'm trying to make a list of all the supplies I'll need for my new puppy. I believe I have found one that I'll be taking home in the beginning of April, so want to look online for discounts, etc, between now and then.

I haven't actually started a list, which is why I'm posting here. I'm sure I'll forget something

Off the top of my head, I was thinking:

1. Crate
2. Bedding for crate
3. Food bowls
4. Leash
5. Collar
6. Something to clean mistakes with to remove all signs.
7. Toys
8. Food

If anyone has recommendations for a crate, I would greatly appreciate it. Seems like most of the ones I've found online always have bad ratings for larger dogs... usually bending/chewing through the wire.

Anything else you can think of that I am missing, please let me know! I would like to have everything ready prior to bringing home a new pup.

Thanks!

Alex
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Watch with the bedding in the crate, that the pup doesn't chew/eat it.

There are crates available that have a movable partition, this is good because you can get the size you need for your adult dog, but are able to make it smaller so the pup won't go to the bathroom in it. Saves $$$ on buying bigger one's as pup grows. I'm not sure if this is an option in plastic crates?

If you crate train properly then the dog shouldn't have issues with chewing the bars. There are exceptions to the rule, but I find the dogs who do this already had issues and were destroying the house if left out, so the owner suddenly started crating without gradually introducing the dog to it.

With toys, make sure you get things that are different textures. That is really good for pups especially as they teethe. Remember some toys can be left with dogs, but some are interactive and not to be left with them to chew.

Who are you getting your puppy from? Do you have a pedigree you can share?

Oh also, definitely do puppy classes. You will want to look into that about a month before the pup comes home so you can be fit in.

Otherwise, looks like you're set!

Good luck with the new pup!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sounds like you have everything covered so far. The crate is a personal preference between wire and plastic (air cargo). I personally went with a big wire crate that had the divider in it so that when I was crate training my pup I would put the divider in and avoid accidents. This way I was only buying one crate.
The only thing that I always suggest is that when you are picking your pup up from the breeder to bring an old towel or blanket to rub the scent of the mother and littermates on so that the first few nights of transitioning are easier when they have that comforting scent with them.
Good luck, it's going to be a long wait!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I love the wire crates that have the adjustable divider. Blackshep is right; if you start crate training from the beginning, you shouldn't have any troubles with her chewing the bars. I also use Nature's Miracle cleaners for mistakes. It removes the smell and stain. They also have a cleaner that keeps the dog from going back. I love it.

Have you decided what type of food you are going to use?

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mog

I'm definitely going to get a wire crate, with divider. I found one here, which looks reasonable in price for a 48" crate at Tractor Supply. Thoughts on it would be appreciated Retriever Quick-Fold Wire Crate, For Pets Up to 70 lb. & Up - 2401498 | Tractor Supply Company

I spoke with the breeder and she said when the pups are 6 weeks old, I can visit him and bring a blanket that she will use with the litter for the remaining two weeks. Figured that would help a lot.

I finally got in touch with Brigit at AK9 Police dogs! The current litter is unfortunately spoken for... but she has another litter upcoming that is due in the beginning of February that she has not announced yet. There are already two reservations for males and I'm the third... so I'm hoping the litter has at least 3 males. Here's a link for the dam http://www.policedogs.us/Loretta-Vepeden.html and I'll get more information in a couple of weeks when the litter is born. Again, crossing my fingers that the litter has 3 males The dam is a beautiful dark/black sable and exactly what I'm looking for in a pup.

I've been doing my research on training and will take him to a professional for training when he becomes of age... What are your thoughts on the training classes at the local pet shops? I've heard various opinions

I still have a couple of months and have been doing a lot of research over the past few months and still have a lot more to do in the next two

I'm a single dad with a 4 year old daughter and we're both very excited

Alex
Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have this breeding saved on my phone. I think you will need more than just puppy training. This has the potential to be a high drive litter. Think about IPO if you have the time to invest in it. The dog will need an out let for its drive and you will need guidance from a trainer who is used to dealing with this type of dog. (just my opinion).
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sorry I posted on the wrong thread
OffgridAlex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Get plenty of bowls, we bought two initially but ended up needing more than four.

Grooming brush?

Claw trimmer? (best to get him used to it early)

Poo bags/pooper scooper?

Have a look also at dog wet wipes, handy for if he gets in a bit of a mess and you don't want to give him a whole bath

Harness/cage/box to secure him in the car?

Retractable lead

Torch for night time toilet breaks/walkies

Last edited by OffgridAlex; 01-24-2013 at 02:11 PM.
OffgridAlex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh wow, their dogs look nice!

I agree, if you have a harder WL dog, IPO is a great resource.

I feel so at home with my dog at schutzhund training and for once am not mortified by her behaviour. It lets her do all the things she's bred to do, and allows her to do it in drive, which is so much better than fighting her nature. She needs to learn impulse control and to be mannerly, but in the meantime, they don't look down on me when I'm struggling a bit and shes' acting like a turd. Definitely look into that!

OffgridAlex, those are GREAT suggestions!

Yes work on handling paws, picking up, eyes, teeth (get a toothbrush and doggy toothpaste!). All that stuff like palpating it's tummy (gently!) things the vet has to do.

I also keep stuff int he car, towels for muddy paws, a jug of water. I have a little metal pail that hooks onto the crate in my car, and I have a clip on the handle/cage to keep it from getting knocked off.

Oh, bully sticks fort he crate and/or pressed rawhide bones are good to keep them busy. I'd watch with the rawhide to see how long it takes the pup to chew it (no eating big pieces!), but if puppy doesn't eat too fast, it's a good babysitter.

Last edited by blackshep; 01-24-2013 at 02:35 PM.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mog

Thanks for the suggestions! All noted and will be ordered Also, anyone know of a "good" clicker for training? One other thing I forgot to add.

How would I get info about IPO/Schutzhund groups in my area? To be honest, I don't know much about either... And at what age should you consider it?

Thanks again! I've learned quite a bit from the community here, It's a great resource!

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.