What kind of supplies will I need for my new puppy? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
#1 supply needed for a new puppy that always gets overlooked.....

PAPER TOWELS!!!! And LOTS of them!
Strangely enough I needed very few with my pup (from the same breeder hopefully). She was pretty much house broken the first day she was there. I did crate train her day one and took her out every few hours for the first week. Very few accidents (less than 3 that I can recall) and all were my fault.

I find it VERY importantly to take the new pup from the crate directly to the "area" you want them to relieve themselves and I mean directly, and be patient, wait, and lots of praise or treats after. Huge payoff as my GSD refuses to go anywhere except the small area designated in the yard for her. Easy to clean up, add mulch every 6 months to the small area (10x20) and absolutely no land mines around the yard
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #32 (permalink)
Mog

I'm going to do something similar in my back yard... going to pull out some wild rose bushes and use stones to outline "his" area and then use mulch as well

I'm going to do the same thing... I really like the house breaking article listed and going to follow it strictly. I have my headphones ready
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #33 (permalink)
Mog

Okay, going to update my list. Believe I'm finally done and everything is ordered! Okay, well... maybe not... I ordered the 42" Midwest Life Stages crate, but Amazon had the 48" on hold due to complaints about the ad, product or something else... so going to wait until they resolve it as their prices is at least $25 cheaper than anyone else... and no tax/shipping.

Items ordered at Amazon.com:

1. Midwest iCrate - 48" - Double Door and folding - comes with divider.ON HOLD - Will get the Life stages, rather than iCrate as it's supposedly a little stronger than the icrate. - Larger for downstairs.
2. Midwest Life Stages Double Door Folding Metal Dog Crate 42"x38"x31" - Smaller for upstairs in my bedroom for night time.
3. Pet Trex Premium Quality 30" Exercise Playpen for Dogs - 24"x30".
4. Lupine 1" Black 6' dog lead.
5. Majestic Pet 8"x12" and a 14"x20" snap collar.
6. Solvit 62296 Pet Vehicle Safety Harness
7. Guardian Gear 20' Cotton web lead
8. Flexi Explore Retractable Leash - 26'
9. Safari Professional Large Nail Trimmers
10. JW Pet Company Undercoat Rake - Regular teeth
11. JW Pet Company Slicker Brush - Soft Pin
12. 220 Poor Bag Shop Dog Waste Bags with free dispenser - orginally had the 700 count, because the 220 was out of stock. But it seems they go in and out of stock every hour or so, so keep checking Figured 700 was probably a bit much since I have a fenced in back yard, only need them for walks, trips out.
13. Petsafe Treat pouch
14. Zuke's Mini Naturals - Peanut butter and salmon. Can anyone recommend another treat that is small for training?
15. Fox Labs Defense Spray - The pack leader will keep the pack safe
16. The Bow-wow flirt pole - Yes, I could make one, but it has good recommendations and figured it would save me a little trouble.
17. Bell for dog housetraining - Going make sure Maximus knows how to let me know he needs to go out.
18. 101 Dog Tricks (Book)- You have to have at least one!
19. Jolly Pet 4 1/2" Romp-n-roll - Should I get the 6" for a 8 week old GSD?
20. Kong Wubba Dog Toy, Extra large
21. JW Pet Company Crackle ball - small - should I get a medium or large?
22. JW Pet Company isqueak ball - medium
23.Planet Dog Orbee

Ordered from PetMountain.com:

1. Poop Off Superior Stain & Odor Remover for Dogs - by Life's Great Products. - Only available at PetMountain.com
2. Chuckit Classic Ball Launcher - Cheaper at PetMountain
3. Chuckit The Whistler Chuckit Ball 3" - - Cheaper at PetMountain
4 2x Spot Dinner Time Stainless Steel Pet Dish 12.5"Wx4.25H
5. Flexi Explore Retractable Leash - 26' for dogs up to 110lbs - This was $5 cheaper at PetMountain

I was suprised to find out that Amazon's prices do fluxuate quite a bit. So if you're buying higher prices items, like the crates, please check over the course of a couple of days. When I first added the 48" Midwest Life Stages Double Door to my cart, it was at $63. I finally bought it at $68.94. It went up to $94 and is now selling at $81.80... worse than the stock market

And there is one more item I haven't been able to find, but will look locally at Walmart and the like... I want to get a good rubber mat to put underneath the dog dishes. The dog dishes are 12.5" each and all the mats I found online were 20".

Now I'm just waiting to hear on the litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Okay, so I think I have my complete list, minus the feeding bowls. I can't believe how hard it is to find plain SS food bowls... If anyone has any links they could send for good, but not overly expensive bowls, I would appreciate it.

I'm going to add my list here for anyone else who may find it helpful. I search quite a bit and yes, I could save a dollar here and there, but with no tax and free shipping, Amazon has the best prices. Here is my list If you see anything I missed, please let me know

1. Midwest iCrate - 48" - Double Door and folding - comes with divider.
2. Majestic Pet 8"x12" and a 14"x20" snap collar.
3. Guardian Gear 20' Cotton web lead
4. Flexi Explore Retractable Leash - 26'
5. Safari Professional Large Nail Trimmers
6. JW Pet Company Undercoat Rake - Regular teeth
7. JW Pet Company Slicker Brush - Soft Pin
8. Petrodex Dental Kit - Beef Flavor
9. Outward Hound Leash Mate - May pass because the bags come with a dispenser.
10. 220 Poor Bag Shop Dog Waste Bags with free dispenser
11. Petsafe Treat pouch
12. Zuke's Mini Naturals - Peanut butter and salmon. Can anyone recommend another treat that is small for training?
13. Fox Labs Defense Spray - The pack leader will keep the pack safe
14. The Bow-wow flirt pole - Yes, I could make one, but it has good recommendations and figured it would save me a little trouble.
15. Bell for dog housetraining - Going make sure Maximus knows how to let me know he needs to go out.
16. 101 Dog Tricks (Book)- You have to have at least one!
17. Jolly Pet 4 1/2" Romp-n-roll - Should I get the 6" for a 8 week old GSD?
18. Kong Wubba Dog Toy, Extra large
19. JW Pet Company Crackle ball - small - should I get a medium or large?
20. JW Pet Company isqueak ball - medium
21. Planet Dog Orbee

It comes in just shy of $300... lucky tax return is coming in a couple of weeks!

Still not sure on the toy sizes, since I'm not sure how big he will be at 8 weeks, which is why I have small, medium and large. Figured I wanted to have something he could play with right away. And I have a 4 year old daughter who literally has a couch covered with stuffed animals. I think I know how we can thin the heard out a bit!

Any other suggestions, please let me know. I want to be as prepared as I can

Have plenty of extra towels for the crate and car, so good there. And I think I still have two baby gates to block off the kitchen, have to check.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
I forgot a lifesaver for the winter! A LED lit rubber ball throwing ball or a glow in the dark ball (I prefer the LED). It is a lifesaver when it gets dark early and your dog is ready to play and is too cold to go for a jog. She can see the ball just fine in the pitch dark.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by gowen; 02-01-2013 at 03:01 PM.
gowen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master Member

This thread gives me chills lol The money I dropped at Amazon and Pet Smart was staggering.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #36 (permalink)
Mog

Gowen,

Can you tell me what kind of ball you use?

FrankieC... I can relate And this is just the basics... now I have to look for a used freezer for the garage, so I can stop up on frozen food (feeding raw/barf) and then stocking it... ugh.

Oh yea, I cancelled my order at PetMountain and placed a new order, adding in a classic kong Figured since he's going to be in the crate while I'm at work, he'd enjoy a frozen peanut butter (or similiar) kong to chew on
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #37 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have such a similar list Mog

As far as bowls I bought a couple off chewy: Loving Pets Stainless Steel Silver Bullet No Tip Bowl these ones actually, largest size. They're low and wide, I tried kicking them around to bit and I don't think they'll tip. Idk if people call 9 bucks a bowl cheap so to speak, but I thought they were cute and they were dishwasher safe. (I think I got mine on sale?). Get a bag of food to bump your order over 49 bucks so shipping is free hehe. I also have a 10% off coupon for anyone that needs it there.

Also, hoping you get an extra male in the litter. I stressed out about the litter for ours, I was 4th on the list for a girl, and she only had 3 girls. but what I didnt know was someone changed their mind to male the day before it was due, so when the breeder sent out an email like "yay everyone got what they wanted" I was SO CONFUSED.

They did temperament testing on them yesterday and told me which pup was mine, but then she sent me a follow up email saying that the orange girl they are giving me was favoring her back leg yesterday, they need a vet appointment ot make sure its a play-related injury and not something serious, so I'm still worrying over that

So hope you get what you want D

Ps @gowen love the LED ball idea!! GOtta add that to my list lol
Old 02-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Gowen,

Can you tell me what kind of ball you use?

FrankieC... I can relate And this is just the basics... now I have to look for a used freezer for the garage, so I can stop up on frozen food (feeding raw/barf) and then stocking it... ugh.

Oh yea, I cancelled my order at PetMountain and placed a new order, adding in a classic kong Figured since he's going to be in the crate while I'm at work, he'd enjoy a frozen peanut butter (or similiar) kong to chew on
When I post the link all it says is "amazon".

Amazon.com: Nite Ize MTLP-08-07 MeteorLight K-9 Led dog ball, Disc-O: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Nite Ize MTLP-08-07 MeteorLight K-9 Led dog ball, Disc-O: Pet Supplies
<---link to ball on amazon
Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #39 (permalink)

Wow...if I had done all of this, I wouldn't have purchased the dog. Maybe I'm ignorant, but get the puppy, have fun, get what you need when you need it, and enjoy. Have some fun, relax, train, but don't expect every puppy to fit this mold. My pup (6 months) is working line, high drive, but sane. He goes to training, meets people, and has fun. sorry if I sound a little snip, but just relax....let him be a dog.
Jack9211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

i think you have it covered. we went to a thrift
store and bought towels and sheets. we cut the sheets
and used the cut peices to clean up. we always used
vinegar and baking soda for cleaning.

keep your Vet and E-Vet numbers available. recycle the
plastic grocery bags for poop bags. keep a collar, leash
and poop bags in the car.

Last edited by doggiedad; 02-02-2013 at 08:57 PM.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.