Too Thin? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Too Thin?

I've been trying to keep Gunnar on the thinner side to keep him from growing too big, but I don't want to step over the line and be under feeding him. His parents were both 65-75#'s but he was the biggest in his litter, he's from the 3rd breeding of the same pair and in the previous litters, the biggest one wound up being about 100#'s which is quite a bit larger than I wanted. So the breeder suggested keeping him lean as he grows and that will prevent him from over-growing. But now that he's 4 months old I'm more comfortable with him growing into the size that nature would have him be and I'm fearful that I've been under feeding him.

About a month ago at age 3.5 months he looked like this:

Now at 4.5 months he's got lots of muscle in his chest and hind quarters, but virtually no fat over his ribs or shoulders. When viewed from above there is a step from his shoulders down to his ribs, another down to his waist and then a step out to his hind end. His coat covers a lot of what I feel in these pictures:

I've been feeding him 1 cup 3x a day of Blue Buffalo Native Puppy, plus about 15-20 small milkbones for training. but I read on the BB feeding scale that he should be at 4 1/4 cups a day.

ADDITIONALLY:
-he used to poop 3 times a day shortly after feeding. Over the last week or so that has slowed to 1-2 times a day at random times. I assume this is because his body is using everything that I'm feeding him and there just is not a lot left over?

-He was gaining about 3-4 pounds a week over the last 2 months, but that has dropped to 3 pounds in the last 2 weeks despite a growth spurt in his body (not his legs, but he's gotten longer)

Should I increase his feed volume? Maybe up to the recommended amount and see how he looks in another week?
Thorny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

His weight is perfect--I wouldn't change a thing. Good idea to keep him lean as he grows, as an overweight puppy will become an overweight adult, and you know the damage that extra weight can cause. Especially to a growing puppy, whose joints are vulnerable while they're still developing.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I wouldn't want him any leaner, but they are certainly better off to be on the lighter side, and slower growing.

He looks about the same as my girl is. I'm trying to put a tad more weight on her, but definitely don't want her heavy. I just got torn a new one by a vet who thinks she's far too thin, but I think she maybe likes her puppies chunky. :/

He's beautiful
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He looks great and I wouldn't change a thing. Our breeder always said that she hopes when people see Hans they would think he's too thin.
Keep up the good work!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If the average person on the street says your dog is too thin, it's probably the perfect weight. People are so used to seeing fat dogs, that a dog of normal weight seems skinny to them. Everyone says my 11 year old girl is "so skinny!" but I think it's the reason she is in such good shape at her age--no orthopedic issues at all, and she's as active and athletic as a 3 year old.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

he looks okay , don't worry so much about the scale weight as the condition of the dog -- you want good hard lean muscle . Protein is required for growth and for immune health.
He pooped so much because of the 15 - 20 milk bones, which are basically over processed wheat flour.

make the training about the relationship with you.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Can you guys Help me understand what a normal regularity of pooping is. When he went from 3x a day down to 1-2 that's what really got me wondering I'd he's being fed enough.

If it matters the blue buffalo wilderness that I feed him is a higher protein blend than their standard food, so expect him to pass through more stool when his body doesn't need it for growth or energy, but is stool a reliable indicator of caloric needs?
Thorny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

He is about the same over view shape our 11 month old female is I like that she is slender as we have been battling the bulge on the Samoyed's for a while now.

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.