Housebreaking troubles!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Housebreaking troubles!!!

My Mia is going to be 11 weeks Saturday. She will go days without pooping in the house. This morning I took her outside she went pee & I waited for her to go poop but I had to come inside bc I had to go pee myself. She came in the dog door while I was going potty & getting my kids up for school. She played a bit then pooped. I also caught her eating it which is just nasty!! I was so frustrated & disappointed. She goes pee outside every time I take her out. i take her to the same area every time about every hr or so but she also still has accidents in the house. When she goes outside I praise her & feel I am doing everything right but she just isn't getting that she can't go potty in my house. It is so frustrating especially when people are telling me that she should be trained within a couple days to a week. I have had her since she was 6 weeks so we are going on 5 weeks. i have worked with her since we brought her home. Has anyone else had trouble training their GSD puppy?? Am I doing something wrong??

Mia
BSArledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would put her on schedule and not let her come and go by herself until she goes pee and poop at potty time with regularity
if it was me if I had to go pee and went back in the house I would have put her on a lead and taken her with me or put her in her crate.Then once I was done doing my own potty time lol I would take her outside again to potty.When you are getting your kids ready ect I would have her up in her crate until she is fully potty trained!

Sent from Petguide.com App
MiraC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Also meant to add she is only 11 weeks still a baby and most puppies are not fully potty trained at this age.

Sent from Petguide.com App
MiraC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

When you let her out to potty make sure she goes.. if she doesn't then make sure you watch her very closely when she comes back inside for signs that she is going to go in the house. Take her out immediately if she starts to go its better to interupt them and get them outside then let them go.. If you cant watch her then put her in her crate
Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSArledge View Post
It is so frustrating especially when people are telling me that she should be trained within a couple days to a week.
Who told you that?!?! Ignore them, they don't know what they're talking about, especially since you got your puppy so young. It's taken me anywhere from a month to three months to housebreak a puppy, and I've never gotten one younger than 9 weeks old. The younger the puppy, the less bladder and bowel control they have, similar to a human baby, so I wouldn't expect a 6 week old, or even an 11 week old puppy to recognize when they need to go, understand that there's only one appropriate place to eliminate, and know how to alert you that they need to go out. It's way unrealistic.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you everyone!!! I will def follow the advice given. I do go out with her right now. I did leave her out this morning hoping she would finish up while i went but next time i will crate her. The doggie door is actually for my Yorkies but she does follow them out sometimes but then I follow her lol. We will need to install a bigger one soon. The person that told me she should be trained within a day or two was my ex boss who I find is a completely idiot in more ways than just dog training. He kept saying that I should have had her trained within a few days of bringing her home. I thought that seemed wrong being she was so young. I am going to continue to work hard, keep my eye on her and I know she will get it in time. She is very smart!! I am just glad I am not doing everything wrong. She stays with me pretty much all the time. So if she gets up off the couch or walks out of my sight I try to follow her. I will def do a bit better. Thanks again to all!!!

Mia
BSArledge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

My pup is 12 weeks and I know he has to poop when he goes crazy running.. I don't know why- the running makes him poop.. so maybe you can have him run in a circle outside or just go crazy for a min. and then see if you can walk him to poop?
LauraJav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.