Grim is changing, class was HORRIBLE!! - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #61 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
That's so ridiculous...sorry but it would take them 20 minutes to show you the type of obedience you should be working on with him at this age (and even earlier). I've incorporated a lot of "Schutzhund style" obedience into my obedience training and it takes 5 seconds for those people to give me a hint at how to train what it is I want...be it a solid go out, fast recall, perfect front. I wouldn't expect them to work with you for hours...no dog can take hours of obedience...but they should be able to teach you how they train their dogs from day one.

Like I've stated...the people that I know that do it...started with their puppy before she was even 8 weeks old. At 8 weeks old her littermates went to their homes and they really dove into training. They're already doing prey work, and a lot of obedience...all things that I plan on doing with my next dog...I also only started "hardcore" obedience at 6 months with my current dog and I can definitely see how it has set him back time wise.

I'm not trying to bad mouth the trainer or the club...just seems completely opposite of what I've seen from competitive obedience people in every venue. People that want to get UDX start at 8 weeks, people that want to do agility start at 8 weeks, people that do herding get their dogs out there at 8 weeks...its just weird that this club doesn't think they can help you at this point in your and Grim's training.
You're way off base, first off. I didn't even HAVE Grim at 8 weeks. We moved over Thanksgiving weekend. AFTER that is when I was invited to go to this club. During the Christmas holiday I couldn't make it because all my kids were home. Then bad weather cancelled it many times. Last weekend, Grim had really bad diarrhea from Blue food. Too bad to make him be in the car and go somewhere, etc. He needs a class. The class is geared towards the foundation he'll need for IPO. THEN in addition and after I can learn at the club. I haven't done IPO before, and neither have you. So why knock how this is going down for my dog? I'm grateful to be given a chance to even join a good, established club when I have NO experience at all. If I'd already been a member of a club and gotten my pup at 8 weeks, then maybe that's the way it would go. However, it's not how things went. I don't see an issue with the trainer, facility, or the club.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #62 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
started with their puppy before she was even 8 weeks old. At 8 weeks old her littermates went to their homes and they really dove into training. They're already doing prey work, and a lot of obedience...all things that I plan on doing with my next dog...I also only started "hardcore" obedience at 6 months with my current dog and I can definitely see how it has set him back time wise.
Adele is one of the best instructors in the area. I would imagine that Jag and you will do fine....this weather isn't conducive to get with an IPO club right now, so hit and miss with the snow/storms.
You are in a good place to begin your journey. Not like you're set on trialing for his B as soon as he's of age...there is no rush!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #63 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Nope, I'm not in any rush! It's more about the journey with him for me. I like Adele. She's no non-sense from what I can tell. Like I said previously, she's already shown me (and I've shown Grim successfully) how to do things that I didn't know how to teach. If she wasn't a good trainer, I don't think she'd have caught the 'stare' on the way out. I certainly didn't, and I live and breathe Grim. I look forward to going to the class with him. I don't get out of the house too much anymore where I'm interacting with anyone. The person from the club that was there also gave me a couple of suggestions watching me work with Grim. He's really nice.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #64 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not a schutzhund expert, but another thread they were saying a lot of schutzhund people do not start training their pups until they are a year old.

It's winter time. Getting out there and getting comfortable working in close quarters with dogs sounds like a good thing for any venue. Building drive and focus can be done in any class setting.

And yeah it is cold here too. I can see how that puts a damper on outdoor training.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #65 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Not a schutzhund expert, but another thread they were saying a lot of schutzhund people do not start training their pups until they are a year old.

It's winter time. Getting out there and getting comfortable working in close quarters with dogs sounds like a good thing for any venue. Building drive and focus can be done in any class setting.

And yeah it is cold here too. I can see how that puts a damper on outdoor training.
Yeah, winter isn't the best time to start trying to get to a club in the north. I had to go out and buy a new coat (water resistant and tough on the outside to deal with muddy paws, etc.) and new boots so I can get him out in cruddy weather. (My old hiking boots are 'in a box somewhere') The weather started out OK, then I hit a severe squall right after the Michigan state line. It continued the rest of the way. I'm now driving a full size van, so the wind effects it, and it slides like a sled with the rear wheel drive. Under the new snow was ice. I hope spring comes early... or at least some of the snow storms stop. It seems like they wait until the weekend to hit!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #66 (permalink)
Crowned Member

well, you're lucky you are on that side of the state...we're full out lake effect snow here. It usually stops about 2 counties in from Lake Michigan. I'm in a shoreline county. Snowday predicted for tomorrow too.

I give you credit for travelling as far as you are for ob training this time of year. Not fun til you get there(or home)!

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-22-2013 at 10:57 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #67 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Well, I'm sure some people think I'm nuts for doing it. However, I wanted him to get really good training. The gas cost is high, but he's worth it. I don't drive too much anymore (since I don't work anymore), so I figure it's no different than what I'd spend driving to work. Actually, I'd drive even further if that's what it took. I was lucky that they had an afternoon class. Driving in bad weather in daylight is much easier. I'm lucky that we miss that 'lake effect' snow. I figure winter doesn't last forever, though, so we'll be OK. I did forget to take emergency blankets, though. I won't forget to stock my van before taking the next trip up north.

I also didn't take anything for tug. I felt really bad for Grim when everyone else took out a tug toy. Bad Jag.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #68 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

There was a place closer to Jag that I also recommended, but they train in a style very different from me. Much easier to work with someone if we are both speaking the same language.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #69 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Carriesue- Grim will 'take' a correction. Sometimes it's successful, sometimes he chews me out about it (like today). He's on a prong collar now because he was still dragging me all over and not responding to any of the many suggestions to get him to stop pulling. Now the pulling is over. However, his attitude remains, although he's better.
At least he responds, lol! Ollie doesn't respond to anything I do... A loud NO, leash pop, saying AH, even a quick scruff tug here and there... No affect at all, doesn't phase him in the slightest. Maybe he'd be a good schutzhund prospect.

I wish you luck with your cute little hellion, I need it with mine LOL. . At least people are offering some help to you!

Btw we need new pics of Grim!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #70 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
There was a place closer to Jag that I also recommended, but they train in a style very different from me. Much easier to work with someone if we are both speaking the same language.
I should have clarified that, but I honestly already forgot. I also like that they do different things (like agility) at this place. To me, it was important to start on the same page because everything is going to be new to me already. I am busting at the seams excited about getting up to the club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
At least he responds, lol! Ollie doesn't respond to anything I do... A loud NO, leash pop, saying AH, even a quick scruff tug here and there... No affect at all, doesn't phase him in the slightest. Maybe he'd be a good schutzhund prospect.

I wish you luck with your cute little hellion, I need it with mine LOL. . At least people are offering some help to you!

Btw we need new pics of Grim!
I'd rather have no response then have the griping! He doesn't always do what I want whether he's corrected or not...so don't get excited, LOL! I will try to get pics of Grim tomorrow. Starting new rounds of doctor's appointments here.... hopefully I won't have to go through 10 different docs in each specialty to find a good one! Good luck with your little hellion, too! I have found a lot of help in this thread to try to fix his little red wagon. I swear someone switched dogs on me overnight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.