German Shepherds Forum banner

Grim is changing, class was HORRIBLE!!

6K views 76 replies 30 participants last post by  Carriesue 
#1 ·
The other day at Petsmart when Grim was barking and vocalizing the entire time, I had no idea what was up with him. I thought at the end that it was him needing to go poo because he'd had diarrhea. Well, not so! We missed class last week (which would have been the first time he was there), so today was his first arrival there. Well, he started all the barking and vocalizing as soon as we got out of the van. I tried to walk him around and get some energy out and have him go potty before we went in. He was being so obnoxious that the trainer (who was shoveling snow out front) said if he didn't stop when he came inside, we'd have to 'figure something out'. Well, he didn't stop. He wanted to meet all the dogs and people... which never happened. Some acted afraid of him, or like he'd hurt their dogs. :( He was staring at some of them, but not in a mean way. He never met a dog he didn't like! The trainer asked what I did for correction for the barking. I said nothing, because this was all new. We spent the whole class away from everyone else, with him blocked behind a plastic curtain most of the time.

He didn't pay attention to me at all. He wasn't focused at all. Heck, when it was his turn to come to me when called across the room, he didn't even acknowledge that I was over there calling him almost every time! :eek: I had his favorite thing (cheese) and that didn't work. The trainer gave me a piece of hot dog which worked a little better. I also had a lick stick that I just bought that he loves. It didn't matter. He looked at me a few times, but not enough. He was totally tuning me out 90% of the time. Now I've had him out to Petsmart, etc. for months and months. I've made him sit, etc. when we're there, too. He was SO amped up... and no other dog there was acting like this! :crazy: I spent most of the time 'hushing' him. I think that if he'd been allowed to greet the other dogs, he'd have done better. However, he can't always have what he wants.

The very worst thing, though, was when I was putting on my coat and hat, etc. to leave. An older woman came in for the next class with a female shepherd. Grim was watching her... but not doing a thing. The instructor said "don't let him stare like that".... and the old woman said "Yes, he's giving her the evil eye." THAT made me mad!! He doesn't have an 'evil eye'. He's freaking 6 months old and loves every dog and person he sees!!!! :mad: I had to get him to potty before we left, and I kept wanting to go back in and tell the old lady that I was offended by her comment. I didn't, but it was all I could do to not say anything. How can you make a judgement like that about a dog you don't know?? He's a PUPPY!!!! Of course he's going to watch other dogs!

I guess I'll be getting up REALLY early next week to take him on a very long walk before we drive up there. The only thing is, he'll have two hours to sleep on the way there and will probably be full of energy again when we get there. I tried to get there a half hour early today to walk some of it off, but the weather turned really crappy and I lost most of my extra time. He's so very high drive and energy that it takes a lot to burn it off. It's not something that can be done fast. I know he may look intimidating, but he's just a baby. He wasn't trying to 'stare down' any dog. He just wanted to play. Should I really be correcting him every time he looks at another dog? Somehow I've got to figure out how to get his attention around other dogs. This is new... all the barking and vocalizing. He's also never blown me off this bad. First day of class with him there.... and I already feel like I've failed as his handler. I don't understand this sudden change in him. I swear, he's not being aggressive. I don't know why he's barking, whining, and nearly howling all the time now when we're out of the house and around other people. :( :confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
I am not nearly as experienced as many people on this board, but I have seen in my own dogs that they can have "bad" days. Particularly with Niko, who has reactivity issues, some days he is super cool and he can handle minor stresses like seeing a cat running away or a horse going by. Other days we might be in the car and seeing a cat in a yard will make him bark. I really think that some days are just going to be sucky days. It probably has to do with your dog's age too.

I wish I had advice for you on how to handle him when he gets like that, it's something I never figured out!

#3 ·
Should I really be correcting him every time he looks at another dog?
No. You can try distracting him and, at the very least, turning him away from the other dog.

Staring IS a challenge in dog language but it's not always a negative thing. My Cresteds stare at each other before they bolt off chasing each other. That's all in fun. But if one has something and another one wants it - they will stare at each other to see who 'blinks' first.

Somehow I've got to figure out how to get his attention around other dogs. This is new... all the barking and vocalizing.
How often does he get out to see other dogs? If possible, get him out and around other dogs as often as you can so seeing new ones isn't all that exciting.

#5 ·
Sorry but he's not a puppy anymore. He was probably giving the other dog an "evil eye" and eye contact is probably the number one thing that will set off dogs. Staring and constant eye contact is something that is very frowned upon at our club since its something that humans do not understand. Dogs communicate/challenge each other through eye contact and you really never know when it will set them off.

You have to look at it from the other people's point of view. I know you love your dog and think he's an angel, and know him better than anyone else can. But they're trying to train their dogs (whatever they maybe) and there is a barking 6 month old GSD right next to them that the owner can't seem to get through to.

I would really concentrate on working with your dog and not getting angry at people judging his actions. From everything you've described I would've thought exactly what the lady told you and also been quite the worried dog owner trying to train my dog in the same class as you. You're also at Petsmart...a place where people train for 8 weeks and once their dogs know sit/down/stay, they're done with training. Not the most knowledgeable of dog people and so they will just assume that your dog is being aggressive/dangerous. 6 months is the age that your puppy will stop getting slack from other dogs. Although he is a puppy, he might not know that he shouldn't stare at other dogs or be vocal or whatever else he does, and at this point the older dogs will correct him. He might actually be challenging them at this point.

He's what? 50-60 lbs by now? That's bigger than most full grown dogs you'll meet...so I really suggest you start thinking of him more as a dog and less of a puppy. And don't get mad at people that are actually giving you their first opinions of him for the way that he is acting.

Staring is never an initiation of play...its usually a challenge and only ends in play when the other dog backs down without a fight.

#7 ·
If I were you I'd let the comment go, its not a big deal, you are there for you and your dog forget about the comment. Tuke is super easy going and gets along fine with 95% of the other dogs, however every now and then she'll give one the stink eye. This was pointed out to me in a similar way and so I paid more attention and they were right, no big deal. Our new pup barks like crazy too, but loves everybody at the same time. We just keep taking him out in public/stores as much as possible and its starting to subside. It was his first class, I'll bet after a few classes he'll be fine. You might need to bring something of higher value for treats though.

#8 · (Edited)
I don't have much to help except just to say Ollie's started doing a big boy bark at other dogs only when he's on leash and its really random, the only thing I've been able to discern so far is if the dog is looking at him. He just started doing this so I'm still trying to figure out what exactly the trigger is.

Took him to the beach a few days ago and one dog just set him off, big boy bark and hair standing up... but then we walked by a bunch of other dogs and nothing, only difference was this dog he barked at was staring at him. And then at the park there was a guy walking a husky and Ollie just went off on him too(same thing, dog was staring at him) and in those instances I'm not able to get his attention, only thing I've been able to do is just keep walking.

Right now I'm working really hard on being the most awesome thing ever, works great at home but with distractions not so great. Possibly it's a lot to do with a surge of hormones...

I think the main thing is not letting them get in that state in the first place, so my plan is to carry high value stuff, let him see the dog but then immediately get his attention with the food and praise, praise, praise as the dog goes by. And then also take him places with people and dogs and practice focus exercises with a lot of distractions.

I know this might not help you much since our dogs are very different line wise and drive wise but I do feel your pain!

Also wanted to say that I agree with getting him out around dogs and people more... When I was sick for a few weeks and Ollie didn't get out much I noticed a HUGE difference with how he acted when seeing another dog so these last couple weeks we have been going out almost every day around dogs and people. He's met a lot of dogs and played with a lot of dogs but even just that short time away affected him.

#9 ·
I'm really sorry but I kinda had to laught at your post:D I know I'm evil lol. Remember a few months ago when I said he sounds like Havoc and you are in for a heck of a ride? The good news is it gets better when they are around 18 months...I would get the Michael Ellis DVDs (food, tug and advanced concepts in motivation) or rent them from Bow Wow Flix and learn how to channel his drive.

With Havoc that stare turned into his patented "stink eye" which is ABSOLUTELY a challenge, which around 10 months he started to act on when people and dogs made eye contact with him or squared off with him etc etc. If he is a stable dog he will learn as he matures what is a challenge and what isn't, until then...have fun, figure out how to distract him.

#14 · (Edited)
GREAT! :cry: OK, so maybe he's going into the 'jerk' phase. I won't deny that if a dog challenged him he'd take it to the mat in a heart beat. That was clear when he didn't like the one dog acting dominantly to the other. They were across the room, though, so I didn't have to worry about it. When he plays with his pug, they stare at each other then go tearing around together. Also, he wasn't constantly staring at one dog or another..... just watching all of them at different times. Every dog we walked by, though, the owner would pull their dog closer to them. I don't think he realized he was doing anything wrong, though. I've seen him posture (and he did it once in class), and that just wasn't his body language. He always seems chilled (mentally... like "I'm in control" attitude), not reactive in any way shape or form. I wonder if he's announcing himself or something. Either way, it's nonsense, and he's irritating me. Especially with all the blowing me off to do what he wanted to do (which I think is to play with the other dogs). He was born this way, though. His breeder even said "Grim likes things his way. Grim rules his world, and those are the rules he plays by." Something to that effect. I found this to be true very fast. He's very hard headed. I don't think he should disrupt the class, and I did about everything I knew how to do to try to get his attention. Nothing worked. He wanted to try to interact with the other dogs, and that's what he did pretty much the entire class. :headbang: If I corrected him for it and got more demanding that he look at me, he griped at me. One time he looked me dead in the eye and told me exactly what he thought of me correcting him. :rolleyes: Didn't stop me from doing it, though. If I can get through this class with him.....

How did you distract Havoc?? You said he started acting on it at 10 months... but when did he start staring? Did he have a rigid posture when he was staring? Now I'm getting more worried than annoyed with him, because I did everything but stand on my head and got nothing. I even moved in front of him and physically turned his head away. I guess I'll try steak pieces next week. He really loves cheese, too. I have saved it for training treats only, and he acted like he couldn't care less.

#11 ·
I completely empathize.

My dog started acting like that around that age and we're just getting him past it now that he's over a year old. Mine gets over excited wanting to meet every dog.

Unfortunately, he's black and menacing-looking (yes, standard poodles can be frightening ;P) and has a very deep and aggressive-sounding bark. He looks for all the world like he's itching for a fight. Leaning (or lunging) forward, squared-up stance, direct unblinking stare, etc. But, no. If he gets close to a dog he's focused on, it's all goofy jumping around and play-bowing on his part. The other dog usually isn't so fond of him, but my dog is all about the play. But, he's still dangerous, because as I discovered by accident, if the other dog tries to correct him then he's all about the fight. So, intros to new dogs must be carefully managed and I can't let mine get focused on any other dog just in case.

So far, what's worked best for us is to get him around other dogs in a controlled situation and work on getting him focused on me and ignoring the other dogs. I start doing heeling exercises with a lot of quick turns and speed changes and speaking to him really excitedly to get his attention.

#12 ·
At 6mos. I'd curb the staring too.
Whether or not he wants to play is irrelevant when other dogs see it and take it as a challenge, and you must accept that he's exhibiting "challenging" behaviors whether or not he means to. With dogs who are familiar with each other maybe it's an "invitation to play" but with dogs who are strangers to that dog, they need to learn to quit it or they're going to elicit a fight at some point.

Read through Anthony's threads to see how quickly dog body language can go south even when his dog doesn't seemingly intend to invite fights or attacks.
We're not down there, as a rule, at their level so can miss tons of things.

#13 ·
If someone walks by a dog with another dog, and the dog that was already there doesn't move (other than a tail wag) but watches the other dog walk by, THAT'S supposed to be a 'challenge'?? I don't buy it. His body posture the entire class was excitement and wanting to meet and play. Only one time did his posture change, and that's when one dog barked at another dog that was next to it, and that dog rolled over right away. Grim (I guess) took offense to that, and did bark across the room at that dog and his posture changed. I did correct him for that, and it was over. The rest of the time, though, it was all wanting to play and interact with the other dogs. He looked like a shepherd on Red Bull part of the time. He's not a dog. He's a puppy. He's never looked for a challenge with another dog in his life. We come across lose dogs all the time on walks since we moved. It seems that there are a million pits here just running the streets. I take him to Petsmart once a week. I take him everywhere I can take him. I've worked really hard to socialize him. His attitude towards strangers and strange dogs hasn't changed. The only thing that's changed is his mouth. He's probably the happiest pup I've met. His tail wags all the time. When the instructor finally came up to him, he was all wags and wanting pets. He doesn't understand not getting attention, I think. However, both days he was barking outside at nothing as soon as we got out of the van. Tail wagging... barking like crazy. I don't think he feels the need to challenge any dog. He's so full of confidence... maybe too full, but that's him. He's always been vocal... just not barking. When he's been vocal in the past, I always just talk back to him. Maybe that was a bad thing to do, but I like vocal shepherds. The barking, however, is annoying.

If he had hackles up, showed teeth, tried to go after other dogs, had rigid posture, and wasn't wagging his tail like crazy THEN I could see that reaction from people. I also need to get his eyes re-checked in the next couple of weeks. He's still having issues with going down (like out of the van) so I don't know if he's looking for long periods of time at things, people, and dogs because his vision isn't 100%.

#16 · (Edited)
Well a challenge doesn't mean a fight to the death. You can have a challenge in play. I think everyone has a different definition of what that means but the reason why you want your dog to not stare at other dogs is not that your dog is challenging the other dog but you never know if the other dog is unstable and sees it as a challenge and will start barking. At 6mo, I would curb this behavior for a second reason which is an attention and focus issue. Staring at other dogs while training means not staring at you so either way it'd be good to correct him for looking away. Michael Ellis suggests corrections for looking AWAY, not getting the dog to look at you.
Basically you get the dog to initiate play with you and once you are in engagement and the dog looks away, you correct him and say no and slight quick pops on the leash (very very light, not correction degree. more for getting attention) and mark with YES when they turn and look at you.
The more I study Michael Ellis' DVDs and work, the more I realize how much sense it makes. I was skeptical at first and thought a lot of his stuff is just for sport dogs but yesterday was the true test.

I also started training yesterday. It was the first class for formal obedience. My GSD was the youngest out of the entire group at 5.5 months and due to the foundation I put into her attention and training, she was the only stable one in the entire group. Other dogs were whining, barking trying to get at the other dogs, staring, jumping around. I was worried that my puppy would freak out because she had a bad experience with a big husky once. But using Michael Ellis' techniques with confidence building and also (luckily) finding a dog that she played with very well, she walked in there and stayed in a down for the 2 hours with any trouble.

The goal for any dog is not friendliness. It's aloofness. You want a dog that is rock solid and doesn't care if there are 10 dogs around, or people walking around, bikes and skateboards, cash register sounds going off, etc. A dog that will be focused on you. And call it "attention", "focus", "engagement", or whatever but Michael Ellis' method of obedience training a puppy is to build engagement first, THEN start the actual commands, which are very easy once you have the dog's attention.
The key to doing is to take 2-3 weeks (or more if time allows) and just start going random places and feeding your puppy (or playing if they are toy driven). I.E. go to a brand new park you've never been to, get the dog to look at you by calling his name (don't worry about commands now but if you have a watch or look command you can use it), once he looks at you, have the HIDDEN (cannot be seen) toy come out with enthusiasm after you mark with "Yes!". It turns into playtime. It's hard to go into detail but the DVD has all that you need. (Power of playing tug/Power of training with food) ONCE the engagement starts, your dog is not to look away. If the dog looks away, correction with no and when it refocuses, mark with YES and present the tug or in most puppies' cases, Food treats.
This is a high energy, high focus exercise. You can do it for 5 minutes if you want. Then you end by saying "Done" and picking the puppy up and leaving.

Note that there is no allowing your dog to go sniffing, wandering or exploring. The idea is that you are training fun engagement in about a thousand places and things with the puppy getting used to ignoring it. New sounds, things, place, etc. become like furniture. This is the attitude that you want to instill in the puppy.

From 7 weeks I worked on engagement with my puppy and all my training was done on my front yard and the park across my house. There is no shortage of people walking by with their dogs, little kids on their bikes, RC helicopters, soccer matches, cars, etc. By taking 2-3 weeks (even just 1 week, everyday) where you focus on getting the dog to play with you in new environment is a huge step in getting the dog conditioned to being okay in new environments.

Cliffnotes: Take 2 weeks and go to new places each day and just engage in play sessions with your dog. Do not let the dog lose focus on playing with you. End the play session by leaving immediately. No exploring, no sniffing.

Also, I would address and correct the barking. Barking should not be allowed at all. GSDs are vocal but my dog doesnt bark or make any growling noises at all. It doesn't make them weak or suppress them, you can later teach them to bark on command. I tolerate them barking if someone approaches but like any other command or behavior, she needs to stop the minute I tell her enough. Barking is a behavior that is self reinforcing, so barking and whining I give some tough love and tell her to cut it out.

It sounds like Jag has been socialized and I dont think this is an aggressive or "challenge" issue but a distraction issue. Too much is going on, there is a lack of engagement between the dog and you while in this environment. All the other stuff like barking, staring ,etc. is an uncontrollable responses (and expected) from a puppy in a highly stimulating environment. Which brings me to my final point. Trying to DISTRACT the puppy in this kind of environment hardly ever works and I always found that advice to be kind of hokey. Distracting your puppy away from another distraction (ie. with food) only works if the what you have is valued higher than what he is currently focused on. You can control this "ratio" by practicing in lower distracting environments but with some dogs, they will never prize food or even toys higher than what is going on around them, especially other dogs they can meet and play with, etc. In these situations, corrections are necessary and let the dog know what they cannot do.
6months is still a puppy so dont be too hard on him (I dont think you are) but at that age they are capable of receiving a correction and knowing what is NOT to be done.

EDIT: Sorry meant grim but I wrote your username instead.

#15 ·
I found taking a blanket helped, Delgado already knew "bed" which meant lie down on the bed and be quiet so I used that command and he knew to stay on the blanket while we weren't actively doing obedience (trainer was talking, demos, etc).

Also Delgado would get bored easily when we weren't actively doing things so when he would get restless I would work obedience with him quietly (puppy push-ups, taking treats gently, eye contact, etc). He also loved to tug so I would bring one with me.

I was in two classes with barking dogs and here's what each trainer recommended:

First class (puppy class), get their attention back to you, whether it's a quiet toy (no squeakers as you don't want to distract the other dogs) or treat. Get a VERY high value treat, when he acts up make him sit and face you. When he's quiet and gives you eye contact treat. Do this until he's quiet and gives you eye contact for five seconds then treat him once he gives you quiet eye contact for ten seconds, then twenty. It really does work

Second trainer (beginner obedience): Stick the dog behind a curtain and throw treats over the curtain. Any guesses at how well this worked? Yep, not very well

I would advise you to follow the first trainers recommendations. Also rather then just tire him out before the trip, then the long drive can you get to the area of the class super early and tire him out there as well. Getting him used to the surroundings might take some of the excitement out of it

Also I wouldn't recommend allowing him to meet the other dogs, class is training time not play time. I don't want my dog focused on the other dogs, I want him focused on me right from the start and allowing him to play or greet with the other dogs might make him expect it every time

Just my two cents, I hope it goes better next week

#17 ·
Our pups sound very similar, lots of barking and he thinks he's the king of the world. I'm not training him, the wife is and she is very engaging with him. Lots of animation and vocalisation from her in order to keep him focused. He is 5.5 month old.

#19 ·
I agree with Lauri's posts and like the suggestions Pancake has outlined.

One thing I can say is, dogs like to sometimes humiliate and embarrass us, at the most inoportune times:)) Classes can be one of them:)

New place , new things, (altho the petsmart thing is beyond me:) , I can see alot of first time dogs to obed classes going a tad over the top.

The barking to me, sounds like frustration at not getting what he wants so he is vocalizing it..And YES he IS still a puppy:) And go thru those wonky stages of knowing everything, and the next day blowing you off like you don't exist.

I especially like this posted by Pancake

The goal for any dog is not friendliness. It's aloofness. You want a dog that is rock solid and doesn't care if there are 10 dogs around, or people walking around, bikes and skateboards, cash register sounds going off, etc. A dog that will be focused on you. And call it "attention", "focus", "engagement", or whatever but Michael Ellis' method of obedience training a puppy is to build engagement first, THEN start the actual commands, which are very easy once you have the dog's attention.
By the time I go into a class, I want the above^^ Doesn't have to be 'perfect' but I don't want a butthead either:)

I really think the 'boys" mature later than the girls, I think pancake gave you some good ideas to work on and I'd try a few.

And hey I know what it's like to walk into a class with the big bad gsd, and have everyone give "you" (general you) the 'stink eye' LOL..It disappears after a few classes when people realize the big bad wolf isn't going to eat their dog:)

#21 · (Edited)
Some very good info. here, thank you!! I will be getting some DVD's and start working on the suggestions of taking him out and him only focusing on me.

Carriesue- Grim will 'take' a correction. Sometimes it's successful, sometimes he chews me out about it (like today). :rolleyes: He's on a prong collar now because he was still dragging me all over and not responding to any of the many suggestions to get him to stop pulling. Now the pulling is over. However, his attitude remains, although he's better.

He doesn't go for training at Petsmart. It's just one of the places I can take him where he's out of the house. I drive him 2 hours to a good training facility. I don't think he's an angel, either. :laugh: I love him to death, sure... but I've never thought he was an angel!

He did the sit/stand exercise just fine, though. About 10 times, then he was done so he flopped down on the floor with a huff with his back to me. He also did another exercise OK. He was highly distracted, though. Not just by living things, either. A mirror caught his eye and he was staring at that. He also wanted to investigate every single thing in there. Maybe next week with it not being a 'new' place he'll be different. He's just confused me. I've taken him many different places and he's had no such reaction. What got into him I don't know. I'm really wondering if he's just changing. It's going to be colder than heck this week (tomorrow has a high of 15) but we're going anyway. I got a new coat (like a Carhart) and a new pair of hiking boots for walking him and going to the club. So I'll be prepared. I got him a new tug, too.

You know, it just hit me. What if the change in people's reactions to him is driving him to be so mouthy? Maybe he likes freaking them out?? I just can't figure this out. Last week he was the same pup, and since Saturday he's like a different pup. I've never seen this dramatic of a change in a dog. He's still happy... but that mouth! :cry:

I did find a club, just haven't been yet. Lots of weather issues, then Saturday night he was up with bad diarrhea. (Blue didn't agree with him at all!) I don't know about lack of drive, though. He goes forever! Luckily his pug will play with him and help get some of it out, but not nearly enough. I don't get the interest in the dogs. He ignores all that we encounter on walks. Maybe he's just got a stick shoved somewhere, I dunno. The only thing he's become territorial about his his kennels. When we put the new one together, his pug tried to go in and he shoved her out of the way and went in it and sat. Like he was claiming it. He won't let her in any of them.

#69 ·
Carriesue- Grim will 'take' a correction. Sometimes it's successful, sometimes he chews me out about it (like today). :rolleyes: He's on a prong collar now because he was still dragging me all over and not responding to any of the many suggestions to get him to stop pulling. Now the pulling is over. However, his attitude remains, although he's better.
At least he responds, lol! Ollie doesn't respond to anything I do... A loud NO, leash pop, saying AH, even a quick scruff tug here and there... No affect at all, doesn't phase him in the slightest. Maybe he'd be a good schutzhund prospect. :p

I wish you luck with your cute little hellion, I need it with mine LOL. :D. At least people are offering some help to you! :crazy:

Btw we need new pics of Grim!

#22 ·
I started seeing similar behavior in Finn at about 5 months. I tried redirecting and tons of other things with little or no results. What finally worked for us was removing him from the situation which he hates because he wants to be with the other dogs and me. I have left the park, crated him at our club, put him in the car by himself then I go back and continue what we were suppose to be doing together by myself. OMG does he hate that. He soon decided he'd rather behave and be with me participating than be alone and bored.

#23 ·
Drive and energy are two different things:) I would take him to a (good) club, sport people look at this stuff way different than pet people.

#24 · (Edited)
I wonder if he needs to be mentally exercised more. I know you can't do it right now because of the snow, but a good tracking session before obedience will put the dog in a good state of mind. One reason we track first, the dog needs mental stimulation to track and after that, obedience is usually better for the higher drive dogs.
Now that you can tug with him, I'd do it as much as possible! LOL....It helps get out the energy too. Rear end awareness exercises work both mind and body.
Grims puppy pass is now gone, I think he is aware of it!
I would get the book Control Unleashed and work on some of the exercises in it. The "go to your place" and LAT would be a good start.

#25 ·
We spent a lot of time at Obedience classes on focus. Treat when your puppy looks into your eyes. Wait to treat for longer periods of time. We held the treat by our nose to get the puppy to start focusing. Later we could move the treat out to arms length without breaking focus. One class we attended had a dog that barked constantly. About half way through the first class the trainer got a spray bottle of water and had the owner spray the dog when he barked. He had calmed down pretty good by the end of class. The next week he got sprayed twice and was quiet the rest of the class.

#26 ·
He sounds like a good dog any ways. I like these barky dogs as they are usually very confident. I wouldn't try to stop it but I'd rather try to control it. He is young and will try and test you and you should up your game and show him what you want. Never get upset by what somebody says about your dog. You are there to train your dog not argue over little things. Be calm and confident with the pup and the people there and it'll be better.

#29 ·
. I like these barky dogs as they are usually very confident. I wouldn't try to stop it but I'd rather try to control it.
The quiet ones are the confident ones and the barky ones need to build up there confidence.

#27 ·
Jane, I just ordered the tracking book that Lisa recommended. I'll order the book you listed, also. I think he's bored, too. He's like a tornado in the house sometimes. Looking for anything and everything to mess with. Like the doors at Petsmart. :crazy: It's so much colder up here! However, it's become clear that just having him sit and look me in the eye isn't really getting his focus. Not when there are distractions. I was mostly disappointed because he'll do all of this stuff at home just fine. Then he goes and acts like a maniac in class. When I'm working with him outside of class, he's eager to do whatever I want him to. Picks things up right away. I think he needs a good dose of correction for blowing me off, though. Not to mention the back talking. I'm seeing an E-collar in his future. I'm not going to keep arguing with him over who is in control.

#28 ·
Focus is the key. Getting them to focus and stay focused. We did an exercise in one of the classes..the teacher called it the auto check in. We would stand there completely ignoring the dog, when the dog looked at us, they got a treat. This was repeated over and over again followed by a follow me exercise. My dog got so good at the auto check in that I was afraid that it would confuse her if I got her in any sport. When we did the follow me exercise, the trainer told everyone that there was no way that I could lose Robyn...she followed me and checked in on a regular basis and it didn't matter how many dogs were around.

#30 ·
I had almost the exact same first formal class after puppy class except for the curtain it was a different room. It was rough, embarrassing, stressful and far from enjoyable. I kept it going but after the trainer labelled Gaia as aggressive I didn't get much support and everyone kept their distance.

We didn't have any stare downs just a lot of barking, vocalizing and really wanting to play with the other dogs. Once we joined a club I noticed a big difference in how I was taught to handle her and how she responded to me. With her age she all but ignores other dogs so its much easier to keep her focus.

Best of luck with your next class.

#31 · (Edited)
I would get a tug, keep it high value(ball on string or a synthetic two handle tug) and use it instead of food for training. Food is great for teaching positions and lower drive exercises. Tug/ball is good for getting the positions in a snappy movement and reward to get out some pent up energy. Only use them during training and when you bring him to the shops/or whereever, have that toy on you and ask for behaviors and positions to engage him. Soon he'll see that you are more exciting than what he's barking to get at.
One thing I've done when training with Karlo, is not have him engage with others or other dogs, because he needed to look to me for his excitement. Except at home when he had free time. But he's never given me problems and is pretty handler sensitive.Yet during protection, he still tends to blow me off when we haven't been to club for a couple weeks...extremely high value that I have to correct.

#32 ·
I was disappointed that the trainer was ready to give up on you two over him barking. I want a trainer who wants to work through those challenges with me.

There were plenty of times when Rusty made me want to crawl under a rock. I am not an emotional person but I shed a few tears after class one night. lol I swear to this day aliens invaded his body that night!

Wear his little butt out before class...withhold a meal so he will work for his treats.

Regarding the staring I have to watch my boy with that because he's not being playful. I step in front of him & ask for "watch me" or an abrupt "hey" to get his attention. There was a Doberman in class that he despised...the feeling was mutual for the Doberman.

Regarding the comment...let it go. I have found dog people are very opinionated. LOL It will not be the last another dog owner says something to irk you:)

I also think just because a 6 month old looks like an adult they are still a puppy...immature.

We are cheering for you...get back to class with your pup & kick some butt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.