Carrots? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Carrots?

I have a 10 week old GSD puppy and so far she does not like rawhide, pigs ears/tails, horse hoof, but she LOVES carrots, she loves chewing them and I really want her to chew all the good hard things she can to help her muscles and ears come up. Was just wondering if this is ok for her? Also if it is, if freezing them a little bit to make them harder to chew would be ok?

Also on a side note Ive heard bully sticks are good for puppies too, as i know rawhide is not (doesnt matter she wont touch it anyways ) but I cannot find anywhere to get bully sticks in my area, ive tried Walmart and Pet Value, and at my vets but no luck... does anyone know where if at all I CAN get them?

Last edited by mandiah89; 06-15-2013 at 09:04 AM.
mandiah89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can always try ordering your bullysticks offline! But try a feed store in your area. Also, smaller pet stores, boutiques and the like, tend to have them more often than large retailers.

As for carrots, I'm pretty sure they're good to go but I didn't even think to research that!
MissMetric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

What a cutieshe is!

You'd think I was handing my dogs a T bone steak when they see the carrots come out of the refridgerator, they love them! Their favorite treat. I dont think i gave carrots to a 10 week old puppy though, I don't remember how old she was when I first gave them, but I watched her close for large chunks breaking off that could choke.
GSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have found them at superstore. if you have a superstore near you they should sell them. they are called pizzles I think . same thing though. hope yours carry them . they are great for teeting puppies and our hands lol
Aramis' Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Yep carrots are ok. And bully sticks in bulk online will be the cheapest place to get them. Most pet stores charge outrageous princes in store for tiny ones.
Diesel-GSD
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly1331 View Post
Yep carrots are ok. And bully sticks in bulk online will be the cheapest place to get them. Most pet stores charge outrageous princes in store for tiny ones.
thanks! And also saw you have a GSD named Diesel... I just lost my first ever GSD her name was also Diesel
mandiah89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Carrots are great. My dog goes nuts for them and he is three years old now. He has 2 carrots each day.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiah89 View Post
I have a 10 week old GSD puppy and so far she does not like rawhide, pigs ears/tails, horse hoof, but she LOVES carrots, she loves chewing them and I really want her to chew all the good hard things she can to help her muscles and ears come up. Was just wondering if this is ok for her? Also if it is, if freezing them a little bit to make them harder to chew would be ok?

Also on a side note Ive heard bully sticks are good for puppies too, as i know rawhide is not (doesnt matter she wont touch it anyways ) but I cannot find anywhere to get bully sticks in my area, ive tried Walmart and Pet Value, and at my vets but no luck... does anyone know where if at all I CAN get them?
Since she is so young, maybe try nylabones?? They make them for puppies and all my puppies loved them. My GSD still carries around the Keys that are nylabone...she has had them for 13 months and not a dent in them The only reason I suggest these is because some puppies stomachs can't handle regular chews and such.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When I have a huge carrot in the package I give it to my dog. She loves them and to her they are a treat.

Although I've never done it I've read that you can semi freeze them and the dod chews on them longer.
Caledon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

At petflow.com they are selling bully sticks @ .99 cents each. You can get a pack of 20 for $19.99. List price is $48.99. Great deal. They are quite expensive at pet stores. Spent $10 on a 12" stick at Petsmart...crazy
Product Search | PetFlow.com
Ronin864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.