Picking a puppy up from the airport... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Picking a puppy up from the airport...

Okay, my little guy's flight arrives in 6 hours. The airport is about 1 hour and 15 minutes away in Austin, TX.
I have never picked up an airport puppy before and I was wondering what to do? The breeder emailed me with the flight number, his reference number or something, and told me to call this one phone number if I need help getting him from cargo.

1. What the HECK is cargo? I always thought I'd be picking him up from that little thing that spits out luggage after your flight arrives and it goes in circles... but then I realized anyone could just take my dog and that probably would be a very BOUNCY ride LOL. Does anyone have any idea of where puppies are typically picked up in a "normal" airport? It's with Delta.

2. How early would you recommend being there? The flight gets in at 5:11pm.

3. What would you bring for the car ride home? I don't want him to be stuck in the same little crate he was shipped in for 6 hours. Maybe a clothes basket? Toys? A towel? Some bully sticks?!!?

I think that's about it. Unless anyone else has any other advice to give. Thanks! (btw he is 7 weeks & 5 days old today)
sjackson310 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I had to pick up Kiya from the airport, that was about 8 years ago. It went very smoothly for us, I'm sure it will for you too. I definately got there early enough to find out where exactly I had to go.
Good luck!
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would find a place near the airport to take him out for a quick potty break and put him back in the crate for transport. It is familiar and comforting to him. Bring a towel, or newspaper and if he has soiled his crate discard the dirty stuff.

I would call Delta and see where to go - I think it can vary. You can get through.

I would get there about an hour early. The USDA requires a puppy to be 8 weeks before he can fly though and have a health certificate? How did you work that out with a 7 week old?

Scroll down:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ns.html#health

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 01-18-2013 at 12:37 PM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Jocoyn, I have no idea how she managed to get him on the flight because he won't be 8 weeks old till Sunday... 2 days from now. I imagine they were just like okay, close enough??? But I know how much of a stickler they are so I have no clue. I didn't ask though because I'd rather not know lol.

Oh and yeah I should bring something to clean up his kennel.. probably not a towel cause I don't want to discard it since towels are few and far between in this household it seems LOL.

Soooo be there an hour early... makes sense. I stink with airports. I had to pick my ex up from the airport when he got back from deployment and even though I left 1.5 hours early, I made it as soon as he walked down the ramp lol, 30 seconds to spare.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Call - 1-800-DL-CARGO (1-800-352-2746)

Depending on the airport you will pick up at the ticket counter or DL might have a seperate cargo building.
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank
arby665 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have the worst time finding the Delta Cargo area here at Atlanta. It is completely separate (like a mile away) from passengers and luggage. Having said that, they have a really nice fenced potty area. Just be aware of disease transmission.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Call Delta, they'll tell you where to pick up the dog.
We went to a room in the baggage area and they brought Annie to us.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Get online and find out where CARGO is....it is an office and buildings usually, on the other side of the runways or away from the terminal.....there will be an office there to check your ID and you might have to pay a $10 or $20 cargo fee....

Take spray bottle of water, paper towels for cleaning crate if needed - no chemical cleaners as pup is going back in it; fresh bedding (towels or blankie), leash with harness or collar (harnesses are tougher for the little ones to escape), a garbage bag or two for soiled bedding from the crate or pottying after he's out, water to give pup (no food or chewies! they might just come right back up and give pup negative vibes about car rides!...)

If you don't have a harness, stop in a pet store or walmart and pick up a cheapie nylon one....I always tell puppy buyers to have one as I have seen pups escape collars...you can usually get the pup out in the cargo office area and get it on him - then take him to potty! of course, he may potty there - but it is easy enough to clean up...

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, I was worried about the whole disease thing. Thank you for that, that's the same number she gave me but I had no idea it may be really far from the normal pick up place.

Ahhh, I cannot wait to give him the biggest hug ever. Squeeze the poop outta him!! Just kidding. His name is Bender
Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjackson310 View Post
Oh and yeah I should bring something to clean up his kennel.. probably not a towel cause I don't want to discard it since towels are few and far between in this household it seems LOL.

Soooo be there an hour early... makes sense. I stink with airports. I had to pick my ex up from the airport when he got back from deployment and even though I left 1.5 hours early, I made it as soon as he walked down the ramp lol, 30 seconds to spare.
Towels (and a plastic bag to stick dirty ones in), baby wipes, paper towels and fresh newspapers. Garbage bag and poop bags. Hand sanitizer.
Water, small amount of food. Slip collar/leash.
If directions are questionable, plan for an hour and a half early.
And a camera, so that we can see the new one!
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.