German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   11wks - Exposed to Possible Kennel Cough (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/204402-11wks-exposed-possible-kennel-cough.html)

AHWooWoo 01-16-2013 11:42 AM

11wks - Exposed to Possible Kennel Cough

We took our 11wk GSD male for his second set of shots and well-visit at the vet. He waited in the general area with people only (no animals there at that time). We learned after he greeted 2 of the waiting adults that 1 of their dogs has a form of Kennel Cough and the other person's dog had something that also required antibiotic treatment. These owners were there to pick up the dogs after their day of chest x-rays and observation. Now, I'm losing sleep that by licking the owner's hands and sitting on the public floor that he has picked up something. We had him get the Bordetella vaccine that day as a precaution, but that is a live virus and I'm worried will also make him ill due to his young age. The vet didn't seem concerned since the dogs didn't directly interact and it was just the owner's hands that were "washed" by my puppy's tongue. Am I being overly-paranoid about this situation? I'm now re-thinking the training classes he's due to start this weekend. Maybe he's too young to be with other dogs before all the vaccinations kick in? Any words of caution or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

BlackthornGSD 01-16-2013 12:17 PM

Even if he got the Bordetella, as long as he's not immuno-compromised, he would be over it in a few days. It's essentially the canine version of a cold.

Now that he got the vaccine, he may be shedding the virus for a week or two.

msvette2u 01-16-2013 12:21 PM

IME, dogs with intact immune systems, which is to say, our own personal dogs unless they are already ill, do not get kennel cough.
My own dogs have had it maybe 3x in the 10yrs. we've been rescuing and exposing them routinely to KC.
Dogs in shelters are susceptible to it, and usually get it, due to the stress of being in shelters.

From what I understand, the KC vaccine must be given a minimum of 3 days prior to exposure to actually work, so it was kind of pointless to give it the same day he was exposed ;)

Also you're correct in that some dogs seemed to contract KC from the vaccine itself.

BlackthornGSD 01-16-2013 12:26 PM

Here's a link that provides some good info and further reading about it:

Should Your Dog Get Bordetella, the Kennel Cough Vaccine? | Truth4Dogs

AHWooWoo 01-16-2013 12:27 PM

I am a worried mother with my non-furry, two-legged kids and was trying not to be neurotic about our new "baby". It's good to know that most healthy dogs who get the virus would get through it okay.

Regarding the Bordatella, the vet was clearly trying to appease me regarding the situation and also said it would help when my little guy started puppy kindergarten in a few days.

msvette2u 01-16-2013 12:56 PM

One of the vets we visit makes coughing dogs wait in their car, and the vet goes to them.
They probably felt bad because the patient was exposing everyone else. Hopefully they gave you the vaccine and didn't charge!