Camping with dogs/cold nights - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Camping with dogs/cold nights

We are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon in the spring and we're thinking about camping...

Problem is desert nights are pretty cold at high elevations, the time of year we want to go the lows at night average in the 30's. I'm not sure if I am comfortable with that lol but my main concern is for my dog. He will be around 8/9 months old when we go... Do you think this is too cold, if not is there a good way to make sure he stays warm?

I was going to bring his bed(he will be in the tent with us) and put some foam padding under it to raise it off the ground along with maybe having him wear a fleece jacket and blanket... Possibly hot water bottles too.

Any input?
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think that he will be fine. I've taken three dogs camping and it got pretty cold, they snuggled with me and we were all fine I didn't even turn my heat on at home until last week because they keep me nice and warm at night.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I brought my 7 or 8 month old pup hiking with me when it got down to 31 degrees. And the BF and I sleep in hammocks, so he is not able to cuddle up with us to stay warm. We bought him a ruffwear collapseable dog bed and a ruffwear dog jacket. He was perfectly fine, wanted to jump in the river first thing in the morning. ( I didnt let him of course) But, if he could handle it not being in a shelter with us, yours will be just fine.
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Done lots of camping trips with the dogs where it gets below freezing at night. I just let them sleep with us, and we all stay pretty warm. If you are really worried and if you have a plastic crate you can have him sleep in there, cover the kennel with thick blankets. The kennel will be insulated and his body heat will keep it toasty in there. I did this with havoc when he was 9 weeks old, I used the little carrier kennel he was shipped in. I remember waking up freezing, I looked inside his kennel to check on him, heat and warm puppy smell came radiating out lol. He was certainly the warmest out of all of us that night!

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wow brave souls! How did YOU keep warm? I've only been camping in the summer time, plus I pretty much live in a place with an eternal summer so I'm a big wuss in the cold.

I know about getting a sleeping bag rated for the temps you'll be in but is there any way to keep the tent warm? One person I read would heat up rocks on the campfire, wrap them in towels and put them in their sleeping bags/tent. No idea if that would actually work though... Right now I'm just looking for a tent without a mesh ceiling.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I go camping year-round, including in the snow. Last November when we backpacked up the Yaak in Montana it was 21F during the day and about 11F at night. Rocket was in the tent with us and was fine. I got a 0 bag on sale/clearance online in the spring for $75. It's a Marmot down bag so it's high-quality. If you don't want to buy a bag, because you won't use it that much, check out REI. They rent lots of gear.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by RocketDog; 01-15-2013 at 10:47 PM.
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Also if you have a rain fly the mesh won't matter. You definitely want ventilation because otherwise it will get moist and cold in there. In those temps you'll be fine with the mesh ceiling as long as you have the rain fly on.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ah ok, great info! I thought the mesh would just let drafts in despite a rain fly.

I would love to go backpacking in Montana with my dog at some point, just no idea how to get started planning something like that.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

......not a problem for us, we just turn on the heat (in the Motorhome).....yes, thats what it has come to for us. But.....It is Comfortable for all! lol

"BigDogSolo"
Maja's Muse
Bigdogsolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
We are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon in the spring and we're thinking about camping...

Problem is desert nights are pretty cold at high elevations, the time of year we want to go the lows at night average in the 30's. I'm not sure if I am comfortable with that lol but my main concern is for my dog. He will be around 8/9 months old when we go... Do you think this is too cold, if not is there a good way to make sure he stays warm?

I was going to bring his bed(he will be in the tent with us) and put some foam padding under it to raise it off the ground along with maybe having him wear a fleece jacket and blanket... Possibly hot water bottles too.

Any input?
Just noticed you are from Carlsbad....Grew up in Oceanside/Carlsbad . In Texas now though!!

"BigDogSolo"
Maja's Muse
Bigdogsolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.