Camping with dogs/cold nights - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We hike/camp all year. I don't do any over night trips outside if it's below 20 because I don't find that enjoyable. But we have had nights where the temps dipped in the 30's.

Rusty sleeps in the tent with us at our feet on top of our sleeping bags. He doesn't want blankets on him at all...he curls up like a fox and is fine.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
Ah ok, great info! I thought the mesh would just let drafts in despite a rain fly.

I would love to go backpacking in Montana with my dog at some point, just no idea how to get started planning something like that.
My family is from Montana and I basically grew up there as a child. I try to spend as much time there as possible. You can backpack in Glacier Nat Park but not with the dog. I highly recommend it though, it's gorgeous. Otherwise, my favorite backpacking area is the Cabinet Mountains Wilderness area. On my blog (link below) is a link to some photos from this last summer. I need to add more.

You can PM me if you want more info.

We took our kids to Grand Canyon summer before last. IMHO it is the least well-managed of all the Nat Parks I've been to which is a pity. There is some AWESOME hiking to do there. Love the South Kaibab Trailhead! We also hit Zion (which was our favorite), Bryce, Monument Valley and Arches. I'd been to all of these before but DH and the kids hadn't. Great fun!

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
My family is from Montana and I basically grew up there as a child. I try to spend as much time there as possible. You can backpack in Glacier Nat Park but not with the dog. I highly recommend it though, it's gorgeous. Otherwise, my favorite backpacking area is the Cabinet Mountains Wilderness area. On my blog (link below) is a link to some photos from this last summer. I need to add more.

You can PM me if you want more info.

We took our kids to Grand Canyon summer before last. IMHO it is the least well-managed of all the Nat Parks I've been to which is a pity. There is some AWESOME hiking to do there. Love the South Kaibab Trailhead! We also hit Zion (which was our favorite), Bryce, Monument Valley and Arches. I'd been to all of these before but DH and the kids hadn't. Great fun!
Yeah I wanted to go to the Oregon coast again but we were just there in June and my husband doesn't want to make the drive again, lol. I've never been to the Grand Canyon and figured its probably something everybody should see at least once! Unfortunately with it being a national park the only trail I can do in the park itself with a dog is the south rim trail which is 13 miles so plenty of trail for the day we'll be there. If dogs are allowed on any of those other trails you mentioned I will check them out too.

Glacier national park is definitely on my bucket list! How are the cabinet mountains in the spring? Thinking about trying a short backpacking trip with the puppers(also a coatie!), oh and the hubby around spring 2014.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogsolo View Post
Just noticed you are from Carlsbad....Grew up in Oceanside/Carlsbad . In Texas now though!!
Oh cool! It's a beautiful place to live you have to admit! I live pretty close to downtown Carlsbad.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Yeah I wanted to go to the Oregon coast again but we were just there in June and my husband doesn't want to make the drive again, lol. I've never been to the Grand Canyon and figured its probably something everybody should see at least once! Unfortunately with it being a national park the only trail I can do in the park itself with a dog is the south rim trail which is 13 miles so plenty of trail for the day we'll be there. If dogs are allowed on any of those other trails you mentioned I will check them out too.

Glacier national park is definitely on my bucket list! How are the cabinet mountains in the spring? Thinking about trying a short backpacking trip with the puppers(also a coatie!), oh and the hubby around spring 2014.
You likely have to take snowshoes and snowcamp. Snow melt doesn't happen until well into June. I've been up there Memorial Day weekend and gotten blocked by snow slides, etc and had to snow camp. If you're prepared for it, it's fine. But the trails aren't clear until June for sure and some even then will be snowy. This last year in August, around the 11th, DH and I had to cross a big snowfield blocking the trail on the way to a lake.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
You likely have to take snowshoes and snowcamp. Snow melt doesn't happen until well into June. I've been up there Memorial Day weekend and gotten blocked by snow slides, etc and had to snow camp. If you're prepared for it, it's fine. But the trails aren't clear until June for sure and some even then will be snowy. This last year in August, around the 11th, DH and I had to cross a big snowfield blocking the trail on the way to a lake.
Ah ok, that's not a problem... My b-days in June anyways. I am just so used to having no seasons, lol and that higher elevations take longer to thaw out, I just hate hiking in the heat.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I guess now I just need to worry about not freezing my tush off... It'll be worth it though I hear that sometimes there's Elk that hangout in the campground... Obviously my butt will be watching them from INSIDE my tent.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh cool! It's a beautiful place to live you have to admit! I live pretty close to downtown Carlsbad.
I agree, but...... it is a different kind of Carlsbad now. Still beautiful though. We visit about 3 times a year. Still have kids in the area and of course many of my HS friends. Our first stop when we come to town is to Del Norte's for Marg's and Nachos.

"BigDogSolo"
Maja's Muse
Bigdogsolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.