UK people - What do you feed your dog/s? or anyone who feeds food sold worldwide - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default UK people - What do you feed your dog/s? or anyone who feeds food sold worldwide

Kai is on james wellbeloved but is now gone off it and i am looking for a change?

reason i said uk only is because sometimes brands dont sell in uk where they might sell in usa ect
dylano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

James Wellbeloved seems good. I was giving it to my pup and my dog trainer recommends it.
But other than that Zack is getting Bakers puppy food :P
Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Snap..Zola is on bakers seems the only dry food that she likes.at one point we did try Eukanuba but she didnt take to it,and from what we have heard since im glad she didnt
Safzola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

I live in Ireland and both of mine are on Purizon for only one of their meals (they eat RAW for the rest). Purizon is a cheaper knock off of Orijen.

James Wellbeloved is a pretty decent food. I was tempted to try my puppy on that, but went with grain-free food in the end. If you are looking to try some of the really good American/Canadian grain free brands, go to Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus.
They stock loads of different brands...and the shipping is free to the UK and Ireland.
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ive been told that bakers and pedigree branded dog food is like giving your dog fast food every meal?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

For those who feed Bakers - My German Shepherd Forum
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylano View Post
Ive been told that bakers and pedigree branded dog food is like giving your dog fast food every meal?
You've been told right. When I first got my first GSD, I had her on Pedigree chow because I didn't know any better and just fed her what I remember my family always feeding our dogs when I was a kid. My poor GSD was in really bad condition during that time. Her poos were massive, frequent and horrific. Her coat was flaky, dull and itchy. And she was a very smelly puppy in general! I had no idea it was the food that was causing that though. I just thought it was because she was a dog. lol

Once I actually did the research into the different foods, I was shocked and appalled at just how bad it was. Not everyone can afford 5 star food, but there are plenty of foods and methods of feeding your dog out there that are much better and that won't break the bank. You will see a huge difference in your dog if you can give them something a bit better.
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

I started my pup on James Wellbeloved too and he did great on it. A few weeks ago he went off it and wouldn't touch it at all. I thought he'd come back to it when he was hungry but nope, stubborn as ****.

I now have him on Purina Large Breed Pup (on a recommendation from my vet) and he's loving it. I do put in some of the James Wellbeloved with it (at 40 a bag I'm not throwing it away!) and he seems to eat the majority of it with just a few mouthfuls spat out in disgust.

Just a note on Bakers - I won a large bag of it last year and thought I'd try my Basset Hound on it. From the first day he started to wake up twice in the night to go out and pee. Did it for a couple of nights before I made the connection. Took him off it and the night time barking stopped. Very odd - I have no idea what it was that caused it but I'd never go near that food again with a bargepole.
deano76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.