New pup weather problems - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New pup weather problems

So we finally got our pup Koda at 7 weeks on friday the 11th, he's sable and incredibly smart (at least it seems like it) he crate trained himself in the first 3 hours we got him and had almost no whining, he's really good at going to the bathroom outside, but i've also noticed in the last day or so he's gotten REALLY GOOD at holding it in, i set my alarm every 3 hours to take him out for the first day or so but he only goes maybe half the time. So i came up with this system after a potty break i let him run around the house let him chew up his stuffed chicken and chase a ball around, then he'd get really sleepy, crawl back into his crate and sleep. When he wakes up and leaves the crate that's when I take him out and he does his business. I only had him for 3 days, it worked for him the day before, yesterday he had a few accidents because he refused to go in the rain than last night i waited with him outside and he finally went *victory dance!* but today the temperature dropped pretty low and as soon as he goes out he shivers, he only needs to go about once every 3-5 hours. he slept through last night i took him out at 8 and he did fine, but after that it got really windy and cold and he had another accident at 1pm even though we just took him out 10min before that. He just wouldn't go and soon as he's outside he's whining and shivering like crazy, my partner gave in and took him back inside.

What do you guys do when this happens? Do you guys let them go on a pad indoors? he's only 7 weeks and his belly looks like it was shaved for his tattoo so he's missing some fur. I don't want to keep him out there until he goes I'm afraid he might get sick, since the grass is still soggy from all the rain last night.
SwaF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've never had a 7wk old puppy, I've always brought them home at 8weeks but no matter what we go outside, rain, snow, sleet or blazzing sun. I always go out with my pup and say "hurry up go potty". Lakota hated the heavy rain, she'd stand there all "blinky" eye'd.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Your dog sounds awesome

Well Schatz and Cudi were pretty easy to potty train. Schatzi would wake me up every time she wanted to go and Cudi, honestly he hardly went at night. Anyways to answer your question when I got Schatzi it was raining here in so I would let her go here inside the house. However, I WOULD NOT PRAISE HER FOR IT. I wouldn't take her out in the cold nor rain when she was 2-4 months old. But she smart enough to figure out that the house is not a place to go because she still kept waking me up when she wanted to go after her accidents. At a young age I would try to keep them out of the cold and/or rain. When it would rain I would leave Schatzi inside when she was a pup and I had to go work. Nevertheless, she knew that outside was the place to do her business and she hasn't gone inside the house in months lol. She even showed Cudi where is the place to go

Last edited by lennoxbradley88; 01-15-2013 at 12:42 PM.
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Maybe put a jacket on the dog.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennoxbradley88 View Post
Your dog sounds awesome
Haha thanks, he's just gotten into that landshark phase so awesome right now isn't a great word to describe him =P Though even when he does lunge at me teeth and all it's still kind of cute >.> maybe I'm crazy.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, luckily the weather is somewhat getting better and I would consider letting him go inside but he's still sometimes holding it in while outside to wait until he comes back in so we're limiting his open crate time now until we can get back on track with housebreaking. Oh the joy of puppies.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post
Maybe put a jacket on the dog.
Yeah, but have a hard time moving him when it's on
Old 01-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We go rain, wind, cold temps, or shine. The other night here we received a soaking and every hour we were out. I have appropriate cold weather rain gear and Lisl just didn't care.

After every trip out I'd dry her off with her towel and pop it in the clothes dryer for the next trip.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.