I need some help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I need some help

Hey everyone,

My name is Adi and I really love german shepards, and I want to get myself a puppy of one. This is indeed a few months away from happening but I wan't to be prepared by both knowledge and the items that I will need.

Basically, what do I need to keep a puppy happy? I know puppy's take alot of time, but I'm home for most of the day, only out by at most 6 hours (school) however there is 5 of us in the apartment in total so that would not be a problem. There would always be someone home.
Is it better to choose a male or a female GSD puppy? Which one would bond in a better way with the family? What do I need when it comes to crates, etc? Is it too difficult to teach a dog on where to pee/poop.
I do live in a apartment but its a really big apartment, and we do have a yard (which is TECHNICALLY a shared one but only us use it lol. There's no landlord (thats how it is in my country) so I'm sure there won't be any problems with that and my neighbours, well I already talked to them and they're fine with it). What kind of a leash should I have? Also what about ticks and measures against them? (I'd rather prevent than risk if possible).

I might have more questions which I'll ask further on with the thread, and in advance I would like to apologize if some of them are stupid but I really wan't to be prepared and not make any mistakes.

Thanks.
Extornia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Adi, Welcome, great choice on selecting this breed.. they're really awesome.. I've had my pup for only a month & it feels like I just got him yesterday! OK, now answers for your queries

Quote:
Is it better to choose a male or a female GSD puppy?
Doesn't matter if you don't want to breed or anything

Quote:
What do I need when it comes to crates, etc?
Get the biggest size crate available if u intend to keep him in the crate throughout his life.. get crate dividers so as not to give complete access when he is a pup.. Ideally he should have enough room to stand, turn around & lie down..

Quote:
Is it too difficult to teach a dog on where to pee/poop?
I won't lie.. It has been a little difficult with my pup since I also live in an aptmt & taking him up & down everytime isn't feasible hence it takes me sometime.. but since u say u have a yard, should not be much of an issue.. usually they pee after waking up, after play, and any other time they deem fit to pee! as for the pooping, u have to watch his schedule.. suggestion, keep him on a fixed schedule rgdg his food.. it'll be easier for u to know his poop time..

Quote:
What kind of a leash should I have?
Since u'll be getting a puppy at roughly 7-8 weeks I assume, they don't need a leash.. U won't be able to take him out anywhere till he's completed his vaccination so doesn't matter.. u can start training him immediately off-leash in your home & that saves u the trouble of double effort (on-leash & off-leash)..

Quote:
Also what about ticks and measures against them?
U have tick powders available in the market.. there are also solutions like Advantix (not to be used for pups under 6 months of age).. U can ask your vet rgdg injections against ticks/fleas/de-worming/anti-fungal (not to be given to pups under 6 months of age).. as of now, only the powder..

Quote:
but I really wan't to be prepared and not make any mistakes
LOL.. U will! And we all learn from them.. nobody's perfect especially since ur getting a puppy.. read as much as u can & it still doesn't seem like enough! take care..

PS: Please research on a good breeder before you buy the puppy.. Also, find a decent vet in your area to save u the heartache later of switching vets in an emergency..

Kaiser: DOB 13-Nov-2012
Bundle of joy from 17-Dec-2012 to 06-Feb-2013
ankittanna87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

I already know a few very good vets that even come to your house. Is it inhumane to castrate my dog or the other thing if its a female? And about crates i really dunno if he would sleep all his life, I was reading online, its like their safespot or something. I already know not to treat my dog with violence if he does something wrong. What kind of toys should I get at the start? What should I feed him with. Also even though i live in a apt we are on the first floor , technically not a floor as we only have like 4 stairs. Basically what things should i already have before i get a puppy? I need to know the costs of everything because it will be my dog and i would want to help with paying for everything. And yeah after eating when should i take him out, how much do i feed him a day?

And I dont mind making mistakes aslong as i dont hurt my dog in any way.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Okay, let's see.

The costs sort of depend on what you choose to buy. There are plenty of clearance items in stores and large stores online. I just brought my puppy home on Tuesday, and to prep for him I spent around $300-400 dollars (not including his first vet visit and my crate was given to me which is an extra 70-100) and I've already spent more since getting him home, so there's that. Don't forget to notice reoccuring costs, like food, vets visits, toys (as they get destroyed) and chews.

Neutering is perfectly fine or spaying if you get a girl. It just depends on you. I'm not neutering my boy, because I can stud him later and because he's doing a dog sport/shows, but if he was just going to be a companion, I absolutely would.

Puppies need a lot of toys, but only 2 or 3 at a time, so you can ration those accordingly. You should buy a German Shepherd book! They're helpful. Try starting with one chew toy, one action toy, one snuggle toy, and something else to buffer those.

Food is a personal choice, but try to avoid commercial brands. They're bad for your puppy. There are all sorts of diets, raw, cooked, and really good kibble (I feed Orijen Large Breed Puppy). Make sure the kibble you get is for large breeds, because they have different nutritional requirements. The bag will tell you how much to feed per day.

Another thing to know about German Shepherds is that they're extremely mouthy. My guy bites me all the time, so invest in some sturdy pants (he likes to grab my pants and "bring me down").

Definitely go for a big crate. They grow extremely fast, and remember he's still a puppy all the way up through 1 1/2 years old and by that time, he's going to be quite large.

Good luck, and do a lot of research while you can!

Last edited by MissMetric; 01-14-2013 at 08:41 AM.
MissMetric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Could I have the crate made? Its possible to do it at the place where my dad works and it would lower the costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.