Puppy weak back legs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Question Puppy weak back legs?

Someone at the park asked me today if my puppy had spinal surgery because of the way he was walking...

Maybe she just doesn't know GSD's but then it got me worrying because they do seem a bit weak at times. He is currently 4 1/2 months old and is a WGSL/WL cross if that matters at all. Is this something I should worry about, just gangly puppyhood and is there anything I can do to strengthen his legs more? He's currently on Orijen regional red with a little bit of raw a few times a day, I am getting ready to try him on Fromm LBP though. I can talk to his breeder too, just interested in others opinions!

This is the best video I gave to show his back legs and gait. Thank you for any thoughts!

Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you showed this video to your breeder? He's adorable. I would get prelims done when he's 6 months by a qualified ortho.
He also looks a bit overweight in the video...keeping him lean will help his joints/structure.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

when i was concerned about my pups legs i took
him to the Vet.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
when i was concerned about my pups legs i took
him to the Vet.
He is going to the vet this weekend for vaccs so going to have his vet check out his legs too, I just wanted some opinions before I went.

Last edited by Carriesue; 01-11-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Have you showed this video to your breeder? He's adorable. I would get prelims done when he's 6 months by a qualified ortho.
He also looks a bit overweight in the video...keeping him lean will help his joints/structure.
You're right, I was trying so hard to get him to eat(he's a horribly picky eater), I overdid it with the canned food that's why I switched to raw. I will cut him back to two feedings and up his exercise. I was sick for a few weeks and he did NOT get enough exercise but now I feel human again and we are doing much more!

Prelims for what exactly? Sorry, this is my first shepherd puppy... Thank you for the advice!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I agree with onyx - he looks too heavy, which can definitely take its toll long term. But also, it could be contributing to his awkward gate that is currently present as well.

The major concern I see is he is EXTREMELY cowhocked and also walks on his hocks, which I think may be more common to see in the show lines. I have working lines, so hopefully a show line person can chime in on the rear end structure.
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

He sure is adorable!! I love his poofy coat and dark color! I'm a sucker for those dark coated GSDs . What I noticed, is when he runs his back feet seem to 'hop' together. His hocks seem to be turned in quite a bit, too. Is he swaying left and right when he is standing or is that the camera? I am not an expert, but I would have a vet look at him for sure.

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
PupperLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PupperLove View Post
He sure is adorable!! I love his poofy coat and dark color! I'm a sucker for those dark coated GSDs . What I noticed, is when he runs his back feet seem to 'hop' together. His hocks seem to be turned in quite a bit, too. Is he swaying left and right when he is standing or is that the camera? I am not an expert, but I would have a vet look at him for sure.
Thanks! And yeah, should have mentioned that... It is the camera swaying around.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

prelim hip/elbow x-rays. They can be done when he's 6 months but be sure to use a qualified vet, not all will position right.
I agree on the cow-hocks....that is usually something that doesn't go away, it's in the dogs structure. But you can strengthen the rear end, which looks like your pup lacks muscle as well. Bunnyhopping may go away.
Good to read you're feeling better! Nothing like being sick with a young energetic pup in your life.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The next few weeks you should see it start to stand higher on his rear legs. The muscles are just starting to build up. I am not sure how long of hikes you do with your pup, but you dont want to over do it either. He is a baby still.
Loneforce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.