Is nylabone ok for young puppies - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is nylabone ok for young puppies

Like 9 weeks old. She doesn't seem to interested in her kong stuffed with peanut butter and puppy food. What other things can I stuff it with that won't give her loose stools? She loved her rawhide but I immediately took it away when I read on here that they were bad. What other things like rawhide are ok? Any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. Also today she doesn't like her soft training treats at all. But is liking her little bones broken up.

TIA
Leshia

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
leshiahatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They have different levels for nylabone....ones for puppies, regular chewers, extreme chewers, etc. Mine has always loved nylabones and I have every kind they offer for my dogs.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

My 13 week old seems to like carrots, I give her the baby carrots after I cut them up like treats 1/4 inch sizes pieces or so, she also likes apples but I have to watch her with them so she doesn't eat the whole darn thing, I only let her chew on about a 1/3 or so before I take it from her because I don't want her to get any of the seeds! Try stuff like that and see if she will like those? Hope it helps. Cliff
Cascade crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have always used the nylabones for my dogs and they have always got a lot of use out of them. I also have let mine have the rawhide chews and they never had a problem with them, if I saw that the chew was getting small enough that it could be swallowed I then threw it away.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

For Berlin, when he was young like that, I always bought him the Kong Stuff'N Ziggies (the puppy ones) he really liked those and they never affected his stools. Also, he really liked the Nylabone Healthy edibles for puppies, they have like two flavors or something. They are little bones, and they also didnt affect his stool. You could try stuffing her kong with organic yogurt (no flavor) and freezing it, or freeze the peanut butter? Berlin always likes that! Or try ice cubes haha, free, and my pup loved them and chased em around the kitchen floor before crunching em up. There are lots of different nylabone type things to try, and if shes not interested try sticking it into a bag of her treats for a few days or boiling it in chicken broth, makes it more appealing. And glad you stopped giving her rawhides!! I give Berlin hooves and horns (the stuffed ones from Dentley's) he really likes those, but since shes still so young, if you do, definitely only give her it when you are supervising her. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshiahatch View Post
Like 9 weeks old. She doesn't seem to interested in her kong stuffed with peanut butter and puppy food. What other things can I stuff it with that won't give her loose stools? She loved her rawhide but I immediately took it away when I read on here that they were bad. What other things like rawhide are ok? Any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. Also today she doesn't like her soft training treats at all. But is liking her little bones broken up.

TIA
Leshia

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have never had any problems with nylabones.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Instead of mixing peanut butter with the kibble in her Kong, you should try mixing canned pumpkin with the kibble. Pumpkin is actually good for dogs and many vets will recommend it for when your puppy has an upset stomach. Make sure you use pure 100% pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix.
AngieW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieW View Post
Instead of mixing peanut butter with the kibble in her Kong, you should try mixing canned pumpkin with the kibble. Pumpkin is actually good for dogs and many vets will recommend it for when your puppy has an upset stomach. Make sure you use pure 100% pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix.

I have to agree with you, I forgot about canned pumpkin!! It's WONDERFUL for helping with upset tummies, and most pups love it. I use it alot actually.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well, my Sting liked rawhide, pig's ears, and did fine with it. I got a good quality rawhide from Foster & Smith and he enjoyed them - no problems. I watched and replaced it when it was worn down and small. He liked the rawhide rolls. He did have puppy nylabones, but didn't care for them. What he also liked was ice cubes. And soft squeaky toys. He also liked those rope toys to tug on and chew. He was never interested in chewing on his kong - only in eating the treats inside. When he was a year old, he didn't want the rawhide, but then liked the nylabones which he still does and his soft bear toys.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

i like giving beef, center cut femur bones. what kind of bones
are you breaking up?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.