Potty training + Amichien Bonding + Apartment - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thank you all so much. Castlemaid, a great big thanks as that is the reassurance/reasoning I desperately needed to stay on this track. We've had a great day today. Lots of firsts! I'll post something much more fun next. Still learning the ropes on these forums, but I'll try to post a link to a video of my sweet lil love listening to me sip tea for the first time with her huge satellite dishes. Ha!
Malika is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm still struggling with potty training. When is a realistic expectation for when a pup should be potty trained? A trainer says that it's no good to be near her in her crate as "reuniting after seperation" and wants $400 + travel expenses to explain (one time payment = 3-4 hours one time + access to her via email for life). Mary Lynne Doleys is her name. She seems knowledgeable and of course I would expect to pay when receiving pro advice.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've always found kennel training to be the easiest thing in the world. All these "rules", ignoring, can't be by the crate, blah blah blah... where did this all come from? I think some people make training too complicated

I've also always found potty training to be the easiest thing possible. A dog will only go in the house if you let it. Others are right, the second she is out of her crate you need to take her out. That is the whole purpose of crate training. I find that puppies adjust to the crate very easy, no need to ignore them for 2 minutes here and 5 minutes there and you can't be within 17.5 feet of the crate...

As far as calming down and ignoring... I don't let my puppies out if they are whining or acting very anxious, but the SECOND they calm down I let them out of the crate and we go straight outside. Of course as the dog ages, I make them wait a bit longer. But not a 9-10 week old puppy.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malika View Post
I'm still struggling with potty training. When is a realistic expectation for when a pup should be potty trained?

Our Amichien "associate" was $500. I like a lot of the Amichien principles. When put into practice especially if the objective is getting the dog to focus on the owner, they work. So in a nutshell, I'm not knocking their methods, but I do believe potty training comes under a whole different catagory of training and I don't think you need to pay someone $400 to get your dog trained in that area.

Castlemaid gave you great information but it's not going to work overnight. When you try to get a dog to do it's business outside try to remember that the first step is all about you learning to spot the signs of when it's time to take the dog outside. You have to watch for the signs and act fast. If you take the dog out after it drinks, after it eats, after it runs around the family room for 10 minutes, when he/she starts sniffing the ground or walking in circles and definitely when he/she walks over to the door he will be trained a lot quicker than if you try to do it based on the clock.

Anibus and Castlemaid both gave you great advice and it was free. I'd try their suggestions for a week and then decide whether or not you still need to hire the trainer. (you might need a trainer for other things, I just don't think this is one of them)
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

This is my take on this, if you leave her in her crate during the day and go home at coffee breaks and lunch I would immediately take her out the moment you get home and not ignore for five minutes. Maybe she is trying to tell you she has to go in Those five minutes when she's getting excited before she poops and pees! This may be her way of signaling she has to go. She's a baby .

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
MiraC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

I appreciate the time you took to respond. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.