Awkward genital question... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Awkward genital question...

Right, so... This is awkward. And probably not appropriate for small children. That said:

My new stud prospect is 5.5 months old and is pure amazing. He is everything I want in conformation (except lighter eyes) and I am scrutinizing every detail of him to be sure he's stud material. I never thought I'd own a stud, but here we are. We'll see how he matures.

Well, he's got his first whiff of eau de bitch in heat, and he's having lots of fun with blankets and such. He got himself good and worked up and we all got to see how manly he is... If you understand my meaning. Which is when I spotted the potential problem; I got out the flashlight and it looks like he's got 50+ tiny little bright red bumps at the base of his penis behind the glans when he's out of his prepuce. My first assumption was that they were tiny burst blood vessels under the skin. I used gauze and there was no blood on the surface, plus he didn't mind the contact so it must not be painful. He kept on busying himself with the blanket too, so he must not have been suffering much!!

Is this a puppy thing he'll grow out of? I've done collections before with a few other dogs, and they never had this issue. They were also over 2, so I'm hoping its a puppy thing. He's never been bred, so brucellosis isn't something I'm worried about. I'll ask my vet tomorrow, but if anybody has any insight I'd love to hear it. I'd hate to have to retire him on an indecent technicality, lol!

Sorry for the awkward question!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've never seen that. Check with the vet, it might be some infection of some sort. Staph?
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I simply encourage my intact boys to "stop it" when they get aroused I don't allow the blanket thing.

Maybe the friction from the blankets..it is not like the penis has thick skin on it.

I was able to work Grim right next to a female in heat. (detection work). We went through a rather short puppy phase of having raging hormones. Beau is now 18 months and seems to be able to control it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):
, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I simply encourage my intact boys to "stop it" when they get aroused I don't allow the blanket thing.

Maybe the friction from the blankets..it is not like the penis has thick skin on it.

I was able to work Grim right next to a female in heat. (detection work). We went through a rather short puppy phase of having raging hormones. Beau is now 18 months and seems to be able to control it.
That's definitely not the problem, as this is at the base of the penis where it meets the prepuse. If he had friction bumps they would be on the bottom and tip of the penis.

I allow humping to a point at his age, on the advice of my entire kennel club's expertise. I'm not worried about having any humping control issues, just about IDing the bumps. Thanks though!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Take him to the vet. They would be your best source of information since they would be able to actually see the bumps you are attempting to describe.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

normal --

hey , we often have threads with advice that is "get yourself a new vet "

this is a thread where I - don't know what the rest of you think but won't say , so I, would say to this "I allow humping to a point at his age, on the advice of my entire kennel club's expertise" ------ get yourself a new kennel club.

that is just plain weird.

boys will be boys without much prompting when conditions are right.

the requirements for good stud material go far beyond the mechanics --
instead of encouraging , promoting , arrousing the young dog -- as Jocoyn said -- stop it -- do some healthy activities with the dog , socialize, train, make a model citizen canine in the event that maybe his hips will crash and burn your dreams and the dog can not be used for breeding .

carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm thinking the poster is seeing swollen blood vessels from the arrousal , the sensory part -- I have seen a lot different male organs at the vets when I help breeder friends who do A-I --

carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
I'm thinking the poster is seeing swollen blood vessels from the arrousal , the sensory part -- I have seen a lot different male organs at the vets when I help breeder friends who do A-I --

Thank you for this helpful information! I brought a different one of my dogs to work with me today, I'll bring this boy in question tomorrow to get checked. All three vets think there's no problem by my description and it's just how he is. I'll update when I know more.

I love my kennel club, and I have no qualms with them. Lets keep on topic here.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Also, if it helps, he's not licking/over grooming his genital area other than a few licks to help everything back inside. No discharge, blood, etc. No change in demeanor or anything of that nature.

I don't mean to be rude about everyone's criticsm of his behavior and my choices in handling it, but that's simply not what I'm looking for help with at this time. Once I know what these bumpies are I'd be more than happy to get assistance with behavioral 'issues' that y'all may want to chime in on. Frankly, he's only humped his blankets twice, and both times there was a ready bitch on the other side of the door. I consider this understandable. He's not a wild humping machine, he doesn't hump people or stuffed animals or anything crazy. And it's not just my kennel club members; I can go home and pick out at least three books on breeding dogs that includes a section about 'how to raise a stud dog', especially in an environment with other breeding males.
Were he humping willy-nilly, jumping and humping on people, single-minded behavior humping etc I'd be concerned. But a few little humps with his nose against a flagging heat are not concerning me.

Hilarious side note, one of the vets at my practice asked if I had a picture. I had debated taking a pic with my phone but... lord, what would someone think if I forgot to erase it?! XD

Old 01-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

TMI

I would say between you and the vet - my comment was targeted at possible abrasion which you answered.

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):
, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.