Water at night. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Water at night.

I just recently bought a GSD puppy 2 weeks ago, he is now 14 weeks old. I was wondering if its OK to not supply water at night for him. He sleeps on his bed in my room. He is in the process of being potty trained and I don't want him eating or drinking while I'm sleeping. Is this a bad thing? Or should I at least bring in water for him. I have gotten up at 7am daily to let him outside to relieve himself and so far have been successful. Any suggestions would help. Thanks Guys!
JPadilla1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I pick up water bowls around 8pm when my dog was that young.

Hey, you live near some awesome german shepherd dog groups that get together for shepherd activities (socialization plays, hikes, training, events...). If interested, I can private message you the details. I'm in a couple and they are great.
Bear L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I used to take away water about an hour or two before I was ready for bed and make the last potty trip outside right before bedtime. That ensured that puppy wouldn't have accidents at night and would reduce the amount of middle of the night howls to go outside. It is perfectly okay to not give water at night. Your pup is less active during that time anyway, so they don't really need it.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it, i was just concerned if I was "depriving" him of his water lol.

@Bear L, I would love some info on those groups. A private message with the details would be nice Thank you.
JPadilla1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Thank you

I have been wondering the same thing, so I want to thank all of you for the feedback to the question not posed by me.

Kim

Jasmine GSD Born- November 6, 2012
kimsdamom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I personally have never agreed with removing water access from a healthy puppy or adult ... it's one of the hardships of bringing up a puppy ... you have to get up several times during the night and take him out to go potty.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No food after 6PM and no water after 8PM for Lisl. She makes it through every night.

10 weeks Sunday in case you were wondering.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

I let Ruki have unlimited water, and he was super easy to housebreak. He has a water bottle in his crate. He cannot have a bowl in the crate because he still likes to tip it over. I would feel so bad if I thought he was thirsty and not able to get a drink.
LaneyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I never take Berlins water away from him, but he has scheduled feeding times so food is/was never left out overnight. He is a water-a-holic so the one time I DID try to take water away at night, he woke me up whining and panting like he hadn't had water in days....anyways..he has free access to water at night, and never had any probs, I only had to wake up and take him out at night for a week or two before he could hold it all night (so by the time he was like...11ish weeks) but I also always took him out later (like 11 or 12) before I went to bed. He always woke me up if he had to go out at night. Berlin is also crate trained so he was always in his crate at night, it only took a few weeks before I could leave the door open and he would automatically go in there on his own. That definitely helps with them potty training.

Rogue "Tesla" von Huerta Hof
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Kylie has free access to water except when she's in her crate. I never put water in her crate. I typically put her in the crate about midnight and let her out about 8am.
AngieW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.