5 rounds of vaccines?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 5 rounds of vaccines?!

I brought Navarro to the vet for his 2nd set of shots today. The first set was given by his breeder at 6 weeks. The vets that I went to wanted to give him 4 rounds of shots, his last round being at week 20. I told them 3 would be plenty, since we're relocating back to Canada at the end of Feb (he will be 18 weeks by then). Should I be getting him vaccinated one more time when I get back to Canada? 5 rounds sounds like a lot to me.
GoSailGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm assuming the extra rounds are because the vet is splitting the shots up? Or did the vet give another reason?

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think because right now I live in the highest risk city in one of the highest risk states. I'm not sure if its just parvo for the last shot but I'll ask. I think that was the main concern though. I thought by 16 weeks most puppy's immune systems were developed, but I guess they're being extra cautious.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

My vet wants to give our doberman puppy 5 rounds of the parvo vaccine. My bet explained that they do this for high-risk breeds and in high-risk areas. Plus is you do at least 3 rounds with the vacc he gives and the pup still gets parvo, the company pays for the whole parvo treatment. Idk if that helps your situation at all?
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus View Post
My vet wants to give our doberman puppy 5 rounds of the parvo vaccine. My bet explained that they do this for high-risk breeds and in high-risk areas. Plus is you do at least 3 rounds with the vacc he gives and the pup still gets parvo, the company pays for the whole parvo treatment. Idk if that helps your situation at all?
Hmm yep that makes sense. So maybe I should arrange to get the last shot when we get to Canada. Better safe than sorry. This parvo stuff is a nightmare.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Print this out and give it to your vet. Say this is the vaccination schedule that you want to follow.

Vaccination Schedule Recommendations For Dogs
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSailGo View Post
Hmm yep that makes sense. So maybe I should arrange to get the last shot when we get to Canada. Better safe than sorry. This parvo stuff is a nightmare.
Don't be afraid to ask why if you're worried!
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSailGo View Post
I'm sure you have a high rate of parvo there, there's tons of dogs up there where you are!! Or...are you not there (vancouver?) *yet*?

We personally use and advise our adopters to use this schedule, approved by WSU in Pullman, WA.

Community Practice Vaccination Protocols from the College of Veterinary Medicine
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Vets often DO NOT count the vaccine the breeder gives as valid. He possibly re-vaccinated your puppy with a second first dose.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Paul, I'm sorry... but the vet recommending that vaccine schedule is playing with fire. It reminds me of the movement that caused numerous children to not get vaccines, and introducing loads of illnesses previously controlled to other non-vaccinated children, or children that had chronic health issues, etc. If you're active outdoors with your pup or dog, it's susceptible to lyme disease from mosquitoes just like humans. Drinks out of puddles or other standing water? Lepto comes into play. Other dogs? There comes your boretella. I've heard of entire litters wiped out by parvo. So where's all that 'maternal protection'? Parvo can live in the ground for awhile. Vet's all clean their offices where I've been. More chance you'll pick it up on a walk, or even from your own yard. 100% of pups are exposed at the vet?!?!? Really? This vet inoculates herself at the end of her bad vaccine schedule. Notice that? If she were so sure she was right, there'd be none of that. Want to know what's an issue in your area? Ask your vet. Use common sense. If humans are 'at risk' then so is your dog. Before the immunization, my childhood dog got sick from kennel cough. Very sick. Keeping in mind that people aren't vaccinating their dogs properly, I'll make sure mine is. As a now retired nurse, the statistics on humans were unsettling. Now I have to worry about this with my dog, too. Geez.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.