German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   5 rounds of vaccines?! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/198457-5-rounds-vaccines.html)

GoSailGo 01-05-2013 07:44 PM

5 rounds of vaccines?!

I brought Navarro to the vet for his 2nd set of shots today. The first set was given by his breeder at 6 weeks. The vets that I went to wanted to give him 4 rounds of shots, his last round being at week 20. I told them 3 would be plenty, since we're relocating back to Canada at the end of Feb (he will be 18 weeks by then). Should I be getting him vaccinated one more time when I get back to Canada? 5 rounds sounds like a lot to me. :confused:

Shade 01-05-2013 08:16 PM

I'm assuming the extra rounds are because the vet is splitting the shots up? Or did the vet give another reason?

GoSailGo 01-05-2013 09:19 PM

I think because right now I live in the highest risk city in one of the highest risk states. I'm not sure if its just parvo for the last shot but I'll ask. I think that was the main concern though. I thought by 16 weeks most puppy's immune systems were developed, but I guess they're being extra cautious.

GusGus 01-05-2013 09:47 PM

My vet wants to give our doberman puppy 5 rounds of the parvo vaccine. My bet explained that they do this for high-risk breeds and in high-risk areas. Plus is you do at least 3 rounds with the vacc he gives and the pup still gets parvo, the company pays for the whole parvo treatment. Idk if that helps your situation at all?

GoSailGo 01-05-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GusGus (Post 2680985)
My vet wants to give our doberman puppy 5 rounds of the parvo vaccine. My bet explained that they do this for high-risk breeds and in high-risk areas. Plus is you do at least 3 rounds with the vacc he gives and the pup still gets parvo, the company pays for the whole parvo treatment. Idk if that helps your situation at all?

Hmm yep that makes sense. So maybe I should arrange to get the last shot when we get to Canada. Better safe than sorry. This parvo stuff is a nightmare.

Lucy Dog 01-05-2013 10:27 PM

Print this out and give it to your vet. Say this is the vaccination schedule that you want to follow.

Vaccination Schedule Recommendations For Dogs

GusGus 01-05-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoSailGo (Post 2681353)
Hmm yep that makes sense. So maybe I should arrange to get the last shot when we get to Canada. Better safe than sorry. This parvo stuff is a nightmare.

Don't be afraid to ask why if you're worried!

msvette2u 01-06-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoSailGo (Post 2681353)

I'm sure you have a high rate of parvo there, there's tons of dogs up there where you are!! Or...are you not there (vancouver?) *yet*?

We personally use and advise our adopters to use this schedule, approved by WSU in Pullman, WA.

Community Practice Vaccination Protocols from the College of Veterinary Medicine

Narny 01-06-2013 02:23 AM

Vets often DO NOT count the vaccine the breeder gives as valid. He possibly re-vaccinated your puppy with a second first dose.

Jag 01-06-2013 03:26 AM

Paul, I'm sorry... but the vet recommending that vaccine schedule is playing with fire. It reminds me of the movement that caused numerous children to not get vaccines, and introducing loads of illnesses previously controlled to other non-vaccinated children, or children that had chronic health issues, etc. If you're active outdoors with your pup or dog, it's susceptible to lyme disease from mosquitoes just like humans. Drinks out of puddles or other standing water? Lepto comes into play. Other dogs? There comes your boretella. I've heard of entire litters wiped out by parvo. So where's all that 'maternal protection'? Parvo can live in the ground for awhile. Vet's all clean their offices where I've been. More chance you'll pick it up on a walk, or even from your own yard. 100% of pups are exposed at the vet?!?!? Really? This vet inoculates herself at the end of her bad vaccine schedule. Notice that? If she were so sure she was right, there'd be none of that. Want to know what's an issue in your area? Ask your vet. Use common sense. If humans are 'at risk' then so is your dog. Before the immunization, my childhood dog got sick from kennel cough. Very sick. Keeping in mind that people aren't vaccinating their dogs properly, I'll make sure mine is. As a now retired nurse, the statistics on humans were unsettling. Now I have to worry about this with my dog, too. Geez.