5 rounds of vaccines?! - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Titers are never a bad idea. I, personally, wouldn't bother with the cost of them at 16 weeks. If the puppy was 12 weeks and they were going to give a 4th shot, then I would titer. In the OP's case, it looks like they were given at 6, 10 and the next will be at 14 weeks? Yeah...I might look into titering. Look around for costs. My regular vet was going to charge about $200 and my chiro vet charged me $75 total for the parvo/distemper.

It should be pointed out that vaccines kept at the wrong temperature can go bad. Some vets do not accept the first shots given by breeders because of this. But again, the first shot shouldn't matter if he's already had the later vaccinations.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

I read a lot articles on when to vaccinate and a lot of them had different answers just like this thread has a lot of answers. I did ask the vet about a titer test but she said she wouldn't recommend it right now since we would probably end up doing a lot of them and that adds up. I wish there were some way to tell between mom's immunity and the vaccine immunity. I might still phone them in a few weeks and ask them about a titer before his next vaccination. I definitely have some more questions for the vet, but I'm getting over a BAD flu so I was more concerned with not puking on her.
GoSailGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That does make sense not to titer to early because you could get a result based on the maternal immunity. Never thought about that. Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

I"ve also read that when the 1st shot is given at 6 weeks, it's not uncommon for the puppy to have 4 shots. It's the 5th that is really in question. So your puppy would get one at 6, 10, 14 and 18 instead of 8, 12, 16.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Dr Dodds IS looking at changing her recommendations, has not yet formalized a response, but does NOT feel that the mutliway vaccine is the way to go due to immunosupression where Dr Schulz counters her argument if the puppy is healthy to begin with. I know I am planning on asking for a titer next trip (we did get DAPP during puppy shots but only distemper and parvo as first, maybe only, adult shots(other than rabies)

The business about withdrawing vaccines no longer "needed" makes sense - you reintroduce them when they are needed. I was immunized for smallpox as a kid. How many of you can say that?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can!!!! I was the last year..actually the year before me was the last year but my mother brought me in early.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

small pox ? when i was born and again in the navy.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I"ve also read that when the 1st shot is given at 6 weeks, it's not uncommon for the puppy to have 4 shots. It's the 5th that is really in question. So your puppy would get one at 6, 10, 14 and 18 instead of 8, 12, 16.
Actually the breeder, breeders vet, and this vet all requested he get his shots every 3 weeks give or take 3 days. So that is 6, 9.5 (we were a bit late for this round), 12.5, 15.5 and then they wanted that 5th shot at 20 weeks. I've heard bad things about vaccines every 3 weeks as well, but of the 4 of us I have the least knowledge so majority rules. I'm guessing thats to lessen the time between when the maternal antibodies would possibly wear off and getting a shot.
GoSailGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

hmmmm....next time I'm at my vet's I'll try to remember to ask their thoughts on that. I think that is excessive and have never heard of 5 shots given before. It's always been 3. While you may have the least amount of knowledge, it's your puppy so majority doesn't rule!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #29 (permalink)

I would find out what that last shot entailed.. Where's rabies in all of that?

I usually vac my puppies no closer than a month apart. (vet recommends it)..Usually my puppies come with a first shot, right before 8 weeks, I go again at 12 , again at 16 and then 20 wk mark is a rabies only.

My vet does not like to double up on shots, I don't do lepto anymore, After the one year booster and a rabies at one year (a month apart from booster)..I titer every 3 years and rabie booster every 3 years (as it's mandated by state law).

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
sky

It's unfortunate that many vets don't understand how vaccines and immunity work.
Dr. Dobias has a lot of good information on his site and on facebook.

Holistic Approach to Vaccination of Adult Dogs and Puppies Dr. Dobias Healing Solutions

https://www.facebook.com/drpeterdobias?fref=ts
sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.