German Shepherds Forum banner

Help with older puppy and new "owner"

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Cassidy's Mom 
#1 ·
So my sister and her family have taken temporary custody of an 8 month old GSD. Her owner is overseas with the military.

The dog is sweet, no real temperament issues.... but out of control. Over sofas and baby gates, clueless about walking on leashes, literally doesn't know sit:D.

So I am looking to send her some good links and info on training and controlling this rowdy house guest, from a pet dog perspective, 1st time dog owner.
I prefer See, Mark And Reward type Training.... and sister says she is not comfortable with yank and crank.
There are three grade school children. and they also have a toy poodle in residence (trained before acquired) who is good with big dogs, but not impressed by this urchin in his house.

#3 ·
IF they are into reading/researching, here are a few of my bookmarked suggestions, but pinpointing a specific resource isn't going to be the magical link.
They need to get with a good trainer(you?), IMO as well as doing it on their own.

Nothing in Life is Free which may produce results immediately

Shut up and walk away: The art of Loose Leash Walking
All My Blogs | Roger Abrantes he has many articles worth reading
tab289 channel - YouTube youtube vids
Paws Abilities | Helping people enjoy their dogs.
Dr. P's Dog Training: Modal Theory

#6 ·
Would they be willing to take an obedience class with this dog? When I adopted Keeta, she was overwhelming and out-of-control, I was way over my head with her. It was going to classes that turned things around with me (for both of us).

I would also suggest that they use a prong for walking and for keeping the pup from jumping on people.

#9 ·
#11 ·
The Silky Leash method is awesome! It basically retrains the oppositional reflex to pull into the collar to a new response to relieve leash pressure by moving in that direction. I also used #2 - rewarding for eye contact, #3 - rewarding for the sweet spot, and #4 - the canine cha-cha to train Halo to walk on leash, which she does beautifully. I actually have some comments on that page about using Silky Leash with Keefer and Halo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.