Riding in car - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Riding in car

So for now Max rides on the floor by my feet in the car. I would like him to ride in the back of my SUV- how can I get him to ride in the back and enjoy it? I tried putting him in the back with his travel crate (which he loves) and his toys, but he wants to be under my feet.
Any advice?
We have been taking trips with him to get him used to different things/ people. Thanks
LauraJav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

My pup was getting upset to the point of throwing up in the back seat of my truck. I was able to comfort him by setting a blanket on the floor in the back seat area where I could reach him and placing a hand on him while he layed there. This allowed me to keep him in place and also calm him as he got desinsitized to rides in the truck. Something like that might work for you too.
Thorny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

When Stark was a baby I ONLY ever let him ride in the back. He started out with a mesh crate with a blanket and toys. And we took LOTS of rides. Sometimes I would put him in and take him right back out, sometimes we would ride around the block. Sometimes we would go to the park, sometimes we would go tomy dads, my friends, etc. But, for a long, long time he rode in the mesh crate in the back.He would whine and cry and I just let him. I looked at it as working the same way as training them in a kennel in the house. Eventually he will get used to it. Probably about 5 to 6 months old I had my BFs younger brother ride in the backseat next to him with the crate open. Then we worked up to taking the crate totally out. I had the BFs brother back there with him to make sure he stayed back there (so I didnt have to try to do anything while I was driving). Enough corrections about STAYING in the backseat and now at 11 months he doesnt even TRY to get in the front sear with me, even when I have food. Sometimes he will get excited and jump in the front seat when I open the door (just bc he is excited to go for a ride) he will quickly realize where he is and hop right in the backseat. I think the key is desensitization and routine. I never let him think the front seat was his place. And, believe me, I wanted to. I wanted my cute tiny puppy right up where I could pet him and see him and talk to him. But, for my own safety and his I knew better. You can buy a cheap mesh crate from Meijer for about 20 bucks, it straps to the seat and folds down for when youre not using it. It was the best training tool I had when training Stark to stay in the backseat. IMO, you need to start right now not ever allowing him in the front seat. Dont ever let it be an option. He will eventually learn that it is just not his area. And, trust me I had my share of protesting from Stark. So much ear piercing howling, but it is so worth it. Hope this helps.
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is a mesh crate different from a regular crate- like is there one specifically for a car?
I think you are right- thanks! I'll keep him in the back in his crate. I'm usually in the passenger seat trying to keep him still on the floor by my feet- but it is dangerous- esp if he gets to the drivers side.
He's strong willed- so wish me luck!
LauraJav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

OHhhh! Passenger side wheel well. I thought he was under your feet while driving.

In that case, I might not worry about it right now. As he gets bigger and more independent I would not be surprised if the decision to move to the back seat is his.
Thorny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh sorry, I missed the part about you already having a crate in the car. In that case, just use the crate you already have. I only used the mesh crate bc he was right in my backseat, I never intended to have a permanent crate in the car. So, I needed one I could collapse and move easily as I use my backseat often. Good luck!
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

i taught my dog to ride in the back, the hatch area
or the back seat. i also taught him when i exit the car
to lay down automatically. i wanted to lay down so
he's less visible if i'm not in the car.

to teach my dog to ride in the back i use to put
him in the back. then i would get in the drivers seat
and sit there. i didn't move the car because i knew
he would come to the front. so, he's in the back an
i'm in the front. here he comes. i get out and put
him in the back and maybe say "no" or "you have to
stay back here". we did it over and over. finally he started
staying in the back. once he started staying in the back
i started taking short rides and quess what, here he comes.
i pull over immediately or soon as possible and put him
in the back. at some point he learned to stay in the back.

when i put him in the back i use toput the window down
because i wanted to teach him not to put his head out
of the window. he's in the back window down and of course
his head is out of the window. i leash him. my GF is sitting in the
front passenger seat holding the leash. everytime he put his
out of the window my GF pulled him in and one of use would
say "no window".

to proof the staying in the back i use to place treats on the
back seat if he was in the hatch area. if he was in the back seat
i use to place treats on the front seat and center console.
i used the treats to tempt him to come to the front of the car.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

start putting the dog in the back from the begining.
don't train him that it's ok to be in the front of the car
if you want him in the back of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
OHhhh! Passenger side wheel well. I thought he was under your feet while driving.

In that case, I might not worry about it right now. As he gets bigger and more independent I would not be surprised if the decision to move to the back seat is his.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.