Does this sound appropriate? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thank you all for the input. My gut was telling me that something wasn't quite right.

Question: How long should a breeding female be rested between litters?

I've sent an email asking for more information about this upcoming litter. If I don't get a reply by the end of the weekend I'll be calling to get my deposit back.

And then I guess the search starts all over again.
drofen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Most good breeders do not breed back to back heats, they usually skip a heat and if they are going to rebreed, will rebreed on the next heat. Most females go into heat twice a year (every 5 - 6 months), so breeding every other heat would mean one litter a year.

With that said, if the female is healthy and the litter isn't so big that it is a huge drain on the female, it is not necessarily a bad thing if they are rebred on the next heat, as long as it isn't constant breeding every single cycle (so two litters a year, year after year...).

I'm not sure where the comment was about waiting two years, but it sounds like you've waited 9 months? I think you've been awfully patient, and the breeder seems to be breeding a lot of dogs (4 litters in 9 months is a lot IMHO). Have you researched this breeder on this site to see if there are any threads about the breeder pertaining to them being someone who is recommended?

If it's a good breeder, I would not be opposed to waiting 9 months for a pup but after 4 litters now, I would be making sure I was at the top of the list in regards to a male puppy. If you are still 5 or 6 people down, you may be waiting awhile more. Do you have a contract about whether the deposit is refundable and if so, under what circumstances? Whether people here think you should get it back is irrelevant. Most people would certainly say yes, get it back. What your contract says is what will matter.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Most good breeders do not breed back to back heats, they usually skip a heat and if they are going to rebreed, will rebreed on the next heat. Most females go into heat twice a year (every 5 - 6 months), so breeding every other heat would mean one litter a year.

With that said, if the female is healthy and the litter isn't so big that it is a huge drain on the female, it is not necessarily a bad thing if they are rebred on the next heat, as long as it isn't constant breeding every single cycle (so two litters a year, year after year...).

I'm not sure where the comment was about waiting two years, but it sounds like you've waited 9 months? I think you've been awfully patient, and the breeder seems to be breeding a lot of dogs (4 litters in 9 months is a lot IMHO). Have you researched this breeder on this site to see if there are any threads about the breeder pertaining to them being someone who is recommended?

If it's a good breeder, I would not be opposed to waiting 9 months for a pup but after 4 litters now, I would be making sure I was at the top of the list in regards to a male puppy. If you are still 5 or 6 people down, you may be waiting awhile more. Do you have a contract about whether the deposit is refundable and if so, under what circumstances? Whether people here think you should get it back is irrelevant. Most people would certainly say yes, get it back. What your contract says is what will matter.
Good information, thank you.

You are correct, we've been waiting 9 months.

Again, you are correct: After reading the contract closely, getting our deposit back is merely wishful thinking. It clearly states that deposits are not refundable.

After finding this forum yesterday, I did search to see if this particular breeder had been discussed here. It turns out they have been, and are regularly recommended to people in my area by people with personal knowledge of both the breeders and dogs. This makes me feel a little better.

I think I would be ok if they would just communicate with me. I'm a reasonably patient person--I'd just like to be kept in the loop.

Thank you all for your input. I feel I can call them for some answers and not feel like I'm pestering them.

Cheers!

Robert
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

at this point I don't think calling them would be "pestering" them..

I think you've been more than patient and should be at the 'top' of the list at this point.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

9 months is not the end of the world. Sometimes bitches have false pregnancies, some matings don't take, you are dealing with nature, it isn't an exact science.

Breeding back to back is fine so long as it is not continuous. EVERY time a bitch is bred she should only be bred if she is in tip-top shape. So if she did not come back well from her previous litter, no, she should not be bred.

Dogs are not humans. A human becoming pregnant twice in two years means 18 months of pregnancy out of 24 -- that is a lot. A dog being bred twice in 1 year, is 4 months of pregnancy out of 12. A human raising a baby means nursing/bottles and diapers for more than 12 months, taking care of the child for 18 years. A bitch takes care of her pups for 8 weeks or less. It is apples to oranges, and so long as the bitch is in good condition it does not hurt them to be bred back to back.

There are other reasons why good breeders might choose to breed just once a year. Managing litters in the summer may be easier in the winter, selling puppies in the spring/summer or fall might be easier than when there is snow and ice everywhere. Some prefer to rest the bitch and breed just once a year. Some might want to breed a different bitch and do not want more than they can handle of puppies.

Nothing is absolute, but a good restaurant generally has a lot of cars in the parking lot, and you might have an hour or more wait for a table. The fact that they have a lot of deposits out there may mean that their dogs are in high demand. That may mean that the dogs used for breeding are good quality and the breeders are well-known. Or not.

I don't like taking deposits until puppies are on the ground. Other breeders want so many deposits before breeding their bitch. It is just different philosophies. If the deposit is non-refundable, than that is what it is. I think if you post a poll on here, how long did you wait for your puppy once you chose a breeder, I would be very much surprised if you have no one saying that they waited 9 months or more.

I also think that that is a lot of possible breedings in 9 months. 6? is that right? That can be a lot, but nothing is cast in stone. If they pass all of your other tests for what kind of breeder they are, then the number of dogs, number of litters would not dissuade me within reason.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Selzer, thanks for the input.

You are correct, 6 possible breedings, 5 different females, less than 9 months.

Aside from that I am happy to report a positive phone call with the breeder. Although I was the one to make the call, she did know me by name, and what type of pup we are looking for. She gave me an estimated whelp date, and promised more info after a check-up next week. She also told me we were "first or second" on the male list.

I feel better having talked all this through with her and with input from the forum. Thank you all!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just a thought here - Why a male? When I am looking for a pup, I want good temperment, good health. Looks are a bonus. I don't care about the sex of the dog. If you like the breeding, is the sex of the pup really that important?

Over the years, I've gotten adult dogs and pups. The first pup was a pound pup. That was one I picked. The next pup was "only one left" but she turned out to be the perfect dog for my household. The next pup, the breeder chose knowing a bit about me & what I expected from the dog. The current one is the fourth pup I've had - the breeder chose her for me. She's perfect, too. I never specified sex or color. Temperment first, then health are my main concerns.

There may not be an appropriate male in this breeding - can you consider a female?
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
There may not be an appropriate male in this breeding - can you consider a female?
My family and I have decided that we would really prefer a male. A male personality just fits our family better.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a certain sex
or color. healthy, sound, strong nerve dogs are male and female
and various colors. the dog isn't less healthy because you want a certain gender or color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofen View Post
My family and I have decided that we would really prefer a male. A male personality just fits our family better.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a certain sex
or color. healthy, sound, strong nerve dogs are male and female
and various colors. the dog isn't less healthy because you want a certain gender or color.
Yes, but the bitch can have seven females and 1 male, and that male could be super high drive, or totally independent, and that might not be what the family needs either. If you are set on a certain color or a certain gender, you may have to wait longer to get the pup of your dreams.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.