A question about puppy vaccines. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A question about puppy vaccines.

I would like some advice on puppy vaccinations. Is it better to let a vet give your puppy his shots or is administering them yourself a safe alternative? I have heard that doing it yourself is just as safe and effective. The only reason I ask is that the vet will charge hundreds of dollars while doing it myself will save lots of money. Just dont want to sacrifice my pets safety to save money. Anyone used k-9 spectra 5?
jmcolter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Have you given shots before? On yourself or other animals? There needs to be a comfort level, and good technique, in my mind, to do it to a wiggly puppy. Drs. Foster and Smith website has a lot of information on it.

I prefer to have it done at the vet - if there are any problems, they can document it, they "did" it, so would be working with me to fix it. I have never seen anything go wrong, but then again, they've been doing shots for years.

Rabies, the vets have to do.

Does your vet have a puppy package type thing that is a discount? Because that is a big savings. Shots are typically less than $20 here.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Unless you have a history of administrating vaccines and have been properly trained this is something I'd leave up to the vets.

I know most vets in my area have a "puppy plan" for a set fee it covers all vaccines and appts for the 1st year of your puppy's life.

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Same here. The cost is the exam, the tests for worms, the heartworm preventive which you need a prescription for (or buying it from the vet). They just are not that expensive compared to everything else.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

We do it ourselves in our rescue, but we get vaccines from Online stores (Dr Foster and Smith, Jeffers Pet) and when we get them they have ice packs, so are cold, we put them directly in the fridge.

Also it takes some skill and learning to do it correctly, and the puppy will move, yes, sometimes they don't care but even so must be held firmly.

It's often better to visit the vet with your individual puppy, so your vet can view puppy, listen to heart, lungs, etc., and do stool samples and issue dewormers.

If you are doing it to save money I recommend against it. If you're doing it because you're that knowledgeable about puppies and can detect an illness, then by all means do it.

But only use 5-ways. DO NOT Mess with 7-ways at home.

Community Practice Vaccination Protocols from the College of Veterinary Medicine

DA2PP
Puppies 6,10 and 14 weeks or 8, 12 and 16 weeks
Repeat 1 year later
Then repeat every 3 years
Each patient should be evaluated for increased risk of exposure – may consider yearly protocols for these patients
Give in right shoulder
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I will say that if you ever intend to board the dog, some kennels or schools will only accept vaccines administered at a veterinary clinic as well.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would recommend the Vet also. If the puppy has an alergic reaction or goes into anaphylactic shock, you will need additional drugs to counter those reactions.

It doesn't happen very often, but even a first time could be devastating and deadly.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have never given shots to puppies myself. I have only researched it and watched videos about technique online. A personal friend of mine used to work for a vet and offered to give the shots if I wanted her to.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

The vet here in georgia has a puppy plan for 200. This includes all of the puppy series and shots up to one year. It also includes dewormer and testings. Its not a bad deal. Thanks to all for your quick advice
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I will say that if you ever intend to board the dog, some kennels or schools will only accept vaccines administered at a veterinary clinic as well.
No, they accept the vaccines given by us, a rescue, but they may or may not accept home-given vaccines.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.