A question about puppy vaccines. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcolter View Post
The vet here in georgia has a puppy plan for 200. This includes all of the puppy series and shots up to one year. It also includes dewormer and testings. Its not a bad deal. Thanks to all for your quick advice
Then do this. $200 is not bad for a year of service. Does it include neuter/spay? Or a discount on those?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yes it is a pretty good deal. It does include 50 dollars off of a spay/neuter.
jmcolter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

The puppy visits do add up, depending on your vet.

I just looked up the charges by my current vet who does it a little differently from my last one and is cheaper, too.

The first round of vaccination was when the puppy was still at the breeder and two days before I got him
1st visit: fecal, exam, wormer $86
2nd visit: exam, DHPP vac $53
3rd visit: exam, DHPP vac $53
4th visit: rabies $19

And like msvette2u says, the vet really does a lot in those visits and it's good to head off any problems.

Sounds like your $200 quote is a good deal.

Last edited by FlyAway; 01-04-2013 at 12:56 PM.
FlyAway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

That is a good deal!

There was a litter of puppies that I was contacted about and 2 rescues took them - another rescue met me there and did their first shots - the way she did it was like a harpoon. This was me: and their owner pretty much had the same look.

So glad you will do the package and that it is offered. It helps a ton and the reminders, etc are great - you feel like it's all under control instead of trying to keep track on your own.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Ask for their prices on preventives and if they match internet pricing. My last vet did if you brought in a page from a known reputable site (like entirely pets, or foster smith, etc..) if not, sometimes rebates from the vets will get your prices down.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

One thing to keep in mind is that there have been changes in what is recommended for puppies as far as vaccination goes. OVER vaccination dogs (and cats) can cause much more harm than good.

Dr. Jean Dodds recommends the following schedule:
Between 9 - 10 weeks of age a puppy should get their first Distemper and first Parvo shots. NOTHING else. No 5-way or 7-way - JUST Distemper and Parvo.

At 14 weeks of age they get their second Distemper and their second Parvo. Again - JUST those 2 vaccinations.

Between 16 - 18 weeks of age a puppy can get a third set of Distemper and Parvo. This set is optional.
I would only recommend the third set if someone lives in an area where Parvo or Distemper is very prevalent.

Wait as long as you can to get the first Rabies shot. (My dogs get them around a year of age).

At a year I titer my dogs for Distemper and Parvo and only revaccinate if they need it.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I only did the distemper and parvo for my adult booster, but did do DHPP on first round. It seems pretty uncommon for a vet to carry the single vaccines and even more uncommon to find a vet who will work with you and space them out.

I am going to look into titers on CAV-1 (you get immunity to that from the CAV-2,(adenovirus)) vaccine (the H in DHPP) .......

There was a recent article in whole dog magazine about a resurgence in CAV-1 and I think, even Dr Dobbs is reconsidering that one in her protocol.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

We follow the guidelines I linked to and have never had problems. We use only 5-ways.

We have had 2 allergic reactions in the last 6 yrs. doing rescue. Benadryl resolved the issue.

Quote:
There was a recent article in whole dog magazine about a resurgence in CAV-1 and I think, even Dr Dobbs is reconsidering that one in her protocol.
There's many human diseases making comebacks because of the trend of not vaccinating. Any time people quit vaccinating, herd immunity will be affected and cause resurgences of many diseases though to be "not an issue any longer".
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I haven't done puppy vaccines, but did all my adult vaccines (except rabies). If you buy the record sheet and place the vial cover on the sheet and then document the date, time the vaccine was given. I've never had an issue with this, other than the vet's office saying they prefer to give their own vaccines. Sure, with a hefty mark up! The $200 deal is good. I wish I'd had that offer. I have already paid a ton for Grim's visits... and there is more to go. At least we have major medical insurance!
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.