Annoying Parents - Vol 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Annoying Parents - Vol 2

I think I should write a book... So we were at the store recently, and I said we need to get Zack some food. My parents go over to the pet food alley, and my dad really wanted Zack to eat the canned food. I told him it's best if he just stays on his normal puppy food... He was very angry. He took some Pedigree food for adult dogs and kept teasing me with it. He didn't get the usual puppy food for Zack. Then we went to another store (1hr after) and he noticed dry food after I was whining that he shouldn't eat that adult food. It was some cheap Lidl dry food for adult dogs too. I was really angry. My dad woke up in the morning to give Zack those 2 mixed, even making sure he gave it about 1 hour earlier in the afternoon just to make sure I don't have the chance to feed Zack normal puppy food. After I made sure Zack doesn't eat those foods bought by my parents (by playing with Zack for an hour then quickly taking him to the kitchen) the puppy food ran out... So my parents had to give him that as they refused to take me to a store to get him puppy food. Then one day I decided to take 5$ that I got from Christmas and walk to the store (1 hr one way). Me and my parents after 2 days came to a conclusion that he shouldn't be eating those foods that they bought. So now my dad left for work again after the holiday break, and the food ran out again. So guess what my mum did. She took the canned Pedigree food and the cheap Lidl food and mixed them again and gave it to Zack. Now she refuses to take me to the store and I don't have any money to buy him food... I really just don't know what to do... They also give him huge amounts of food which he shouldn't be getting and I keep telling them, but they keep saying "when you give him food he keeps trying to eat stuff outside that people throw away"... You can't argue with parents, because if you try they will always stick to their version... I also notice Zack is getting a bit fatter, so I try to exercise even more with him everyday I really don't know what to do... I wish I could buy him the proper food and feed him that, but I don't have the money...
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wet food is probably better than the dry. It tends to have more meat in it. What food does the vet recommend and how much? Your parents listen to the vet, right?

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Well, the vet recommended the food that I want to get for Zack - not sure how much in grams, etc but I give him just about right. They listen to the vet but we've not been to the vet recently. We are going soon though.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not a fan of pedigree, but it is ok to feed a puppy adult food. All my puppies from the minute they walk thru the door are fed adult food..

Sorry your parents aren't cooperating

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Adam,, You're such a great kid and you try so hard. Sadly, parents can be difficult and there isn't much you can do. If it makes you feel any better, I will tell you about my first dog....I was only 4 years old and this was in 1962. My puppy was a hound from a litter some guy had at my Dad's work.

The puppy was free. We got him at no more than 6 weeks old. He came home to me in my Dad's pocket. He was the runt of the litter. He was a neurotic hound dog. He lived outside a lot. I don't think he was ever completely housebroken. But....despite everything we did wrong (and there was plenty). The dog was really none the worse for wear. He was loved. He had a pretty decent life and he lived for 17 years.

Our dogs really do survive, in spite of our mistakes. At least Zack has you. You make all the difference and Zack will be fine.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I feel so bad for you. I just want to go shake your parents, I swear.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Adam,, You're such a great kid and you try so hard. Sadly, parents can be difficult and there isn't much you can do. If it makes you feel any better, I will tell you about my first dog....I was only 4 years old and this was in 1962. My puppy was a hound from a litter some guy had at my Dad's work.

The puppy was free. We got him at no more than 6 weeks old. He came home to me in my Dad's pocket. He was the runt of the litter. He was a neurotic hound dog. He lived outside a lot. I don't think he was ever completely housebroken. But....despite everything we did wrong (and there was plenty). The dog was really none the worse for wear. He was loved. He had a pretty decent life and he lived for 17 years.

Our dogs really do survive, in spite of our mistakes. At least Zack has you. You make all the difference and Zack will be fine.
Haha......yes....I feel so old saying this but.....when I was your age our dogs survived on the cheapest dog foods available......they were the only ones available and there would have been no way my parents would have spent the money that is required on the premium dog foods on today's market. Don't be overly concerned. I am not sure how old you are but when i was 13 I started working at our next door neighbours turkey farm (very glamorous) to help pay for the food my very large dog ate.....is there anything around you could try to help pay for the more expensive food??
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

And to help you out with another story, while it is cat related ... it's the same idea ... growing up we had two cats that ate tender vittles all their lives ... they lived to 19 and 21 - they were only vaccinated twice in their lives and were indoor / outdoor cats.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey Adam, like everyone who has said this, I really feel bad for you & all I can say is don't worry, once u grow up & move out, you will be able to live your life on your terms & that includes Zack! Since you don't have an option now, leave it be.. I know pedigree sucks big time but apparently a lot of dogs have survived well on it.. I'm in India & a lot of dog owners aren't into dog foods (it hasn't picked up momentum), people still feed their adult dogs bread & milk :| that being said, the dogs are healthy & active..

The only concern I have is, Zack getting loose motions because of the sudden switch in food.. Avoid that as much as possible (I know it's hard with such parents but try).. Don't change his diet frequently, they aren't like humans & their tummies are SUPER SENSITIVE to change.. I learnt it the hard way!

And yes, puppies CAN have adult dog food without any problems.. Kaiser is on TOTW (which has the same food for adult dogs & pups) it's just the quantity that needs to be kept in check.. Hope this helps
ankittanna87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Thank you all for your stories. It helps a lot I know that most dogs live on way worse food, but my parents can afford that food and they just do it to annoy me...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.