New GSD owner! Would love some tips please :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New GSD owner! Would love some tips please :)

G'day,

I'm from Australia. I've recently purchased a 8 week old female GSD. I've had her for just over a week and she's still a bit timid but slowly coming out of her shell.

I'm feeding her just dry food (science diet, which is highly reputated here in australia). I also, give her water and puppy milk as it was reccommended through the vet.

I've wanted to know some basics please.
ie. diet, training.

Also, when is it best to take her to puppy pre school? Thank You
torres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Torres,

Welcome to the forum! I myself am new to this forum & also new to owning a GSD. I have a almost 10 month old female, and have found many helpful things on here.

From my short experience though and in response to your question, I started our pup at puppy preschool around 12 weeks. Waited till she had all immunisations, . We stopped shortly after as we didn't like the school we attended then did basic training at home. Started up obedience classes at 6 months which lasted for about 6 weeks until I was too busy at work... Plus I found she got bored doing the basics we had learnt at home. Am going to kick start classes again at around 12 months..

Also only fed her biscuit diet as recommended from her breeder, she has royal canin... Where bouts in Australia do you live? We're up in Qld!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank You.

I'm in Melbourne!
Ok sweet, and what about diet? She's only had one vaccination to date! Was your puppy very timid and shy when you first brought it into your home? Mine, is slowly coming around but when she's on her own she loves life with her toys but as soon as sees me or anyone else she gets really shy!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank You.

i'm from melbourne!
Oh ok, cheers. Yeah, she's in her own little world at the moment. Just running around crazy! Was your pup shy or timid at first and how long did it take till it came out of it's shell? She's very playful by herself but as soon as she catches you watching becomes very shy!

I'm waiting until she's about 12-16 weeks before i commence puppy pre school because i don't feel she's mentally ready and hasn't had her second vaccination yet.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bet she's keeping you on your toes all the time! Our pup never seemed shy, more curious as to what everything was. So she would be in people's faces, or flat strap running around the house until bed time.. She was a well trained inside dog back then, had her go to the toilet on command and everything. That eventuated into her understanding that just before bedtime she should go to the toilet, so she had it down pat that if she needed to go she would run to the back door and put her paw up. Was a very good thing, as it saved my fiancÚ and I having to go to the back door and ask her to go out every night.

As for diet, was strictly biscuits only till around 6 months with the occassional chunk of mince or so. At 6 months and up until present she has biscuits of a morning and more biscuits with mince of a evening, she also gets big calf shin bone every few weeks. I'm sure others on the forum who have. Ore experience than I will chime in soon enough with some helpful tips.

New GSD owner! Would love some tips please :)-imageuploadedbypg-free1357242543.227803.jpg
Our little Gemma at 9 weeks.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torres View Post
Thank You.

i'm from melbourne!
Oh ok, cheers. Yeah, she's in her own little world at the moment. Just running around crazy! Was your pup shy or timid at first and how long did it take till it came out of it's shell? She's very playful by herself but as soon as she catches you watching becomes very shy!

I'm waiting until she's about 12-16 weeks before i commence puppy pre school because i don't feel she's mentally ready and hasn't had her second vaccination yet.
Have a chat to the people running your puppy class about the ages of puppies in the next class and maximum age.

I'm in NSW and know some of the classes here have a cut off of 16 weeks old. As long as you've had the first round of shots they'll let you join, that shot is usually done by the breeder so you'll just need to show the vaccination certification you got from the breeder.

I've always started my classes in the 10-12 week range. If your pup is 16 weeks old but all the rest are 10-11 it can make for a pretty big size difference so the bigger pups can scare the smaller ones. I've always felt bad for the pups/owners who end up having to hold their guys out of most of the play sessions so that the smaller ones don't get monstered. That goes both ways, if it was full of 16 week old large breed dogs then I wouldn't start my 10 week old in that class.

As I said give them a call and ask vaccination requirements, when the next class starts, how many pups are signed up and what ages and breeds they are. From there go with whatever you're comfortable with.
Ziltoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for taking time to reply! Now, this is where im struggling with her at the moment. I've put paper, wee mats, and now a proper artifical grass wee mat which cost a fortune only for her to pee next to it! When i take her out and she does her business i praise her a lot! However, she still thinks its acceptable to do it inside whenever she feels like!

Are there any tips you could help me out with so i can understand her better or guide to actually just go outside?

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
Bet she's keeping you on your toes all the time! Our pup never seemed shy, more curious as to what everything was. So she would be in people's faces, or flat strap running around the house until bed time.. She was a well trained inside dog back then, had her go to the toilet on command and everything. That eventuated into her understanding that just before bedtime she should go to the toilet, so she had it down pat that if she needed to go she would run to the back door and put her paw up. Was a very good thing, as it saved my fiancÚ and I having to go to the back door and ask her to go out every night.

As for diet, was strictly biscuits only till around 6 months with the occassional chunk of mince or so. At 6 months and up until present she has biscuits of a morning and more biscuits with mince of a evening, she also gets big calf shin bone every few weeks. I'm sure others on the forum who have. Ore experience than I will chime in soon enough with some helpful tips.

Attachment 24707
Our little Gemma at 9 weeks.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

No problem! Thats what these forums are for hey!

As for potty training, I just took her outside usually every hour or so whilst I was home and just gave the command, "go quickly". If she didn't do anything within the first few minutes back inside we went without praise or treats. If she did do something, we praised a lot and gave her treats, went back inside again and then about 15 minutes later would go out for play time so she understood the difference. Would have been around the 3.5- 4 month mark where she would tell us when she needed to go outside for the toilet. So it did take a while and a lot of patience but paid of greatly!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torres View Post
Thanks for taking time to reply! Now, this is where im struggling with her at the moment. I've put paper, wee mats, and now a proper artifical grass wee mat which cost a fortune only for her to pee next to it! When i take her out and she does her business i praise her a lot! However, she still thinks its acceptable to do it inside whenever she feels like!

Are there any tips you could help me out with so i can understand her better or guide to actually just go outside?

Thank You
Congrats on your puppy. As far as school, mine started at 12 weeks and had continued to go to some kind of training the whole time I've had her. She is presently 16 months and in agility. I got mine at 12 weeks and she walked into my house like she owned it Very active and hard to keep up with, but I worked through it(I locked myself in my room to take a break) I'm guessing yours will come around and become who she is shortly. As far as potty training, take her out after she wakes up, after she eats, after she plays....yes you will be outside quite often. Sometimes you will feel like you should just stay outside. Take her out on a leash, its not playtime. Once she goes...lots of praise and rewards. If she doesn't go, bring her inside, watch her like a hawk or put her in the crate...try again in 10 minutes or so. Do not use potty pads, use the grass outside. You'll notice more time in between potty breaks as she gets older and her bladder gets bigger. Once she is potty trained you'll feel like you can move forward with lots of stuff. Good Luck.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hey llombardo-

Quick question, what kind of training exercises did you do with your pup at a younger age to get into agility? My girl is almost 10 months..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.