How old was your pup when you gave it house freedom - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile How old was your pup when you gave it house freedom

?

I own a 6 month old, sometimes I get the thoughts but than again when she's bored
she does everything that I wouldn't want her to do.
Adele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Juno was 5 months when we gave her total house/garden freedom. We stopped locking her in her crate at night at that age too. But our situation was unusual because we have a really really well behaved girl (she's 15 months now), who has always been really trustworthy. I could trust her implicitly on her own in our house or on our land and know she isn't going to wreck everything.

Our other pup, Bowser on the other hand....I don't know if I'll ever trust him. He's only 3 months old right now, but he's got the look of deviousness in his eyes.
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Bear was 6 months old when we did not crate him anymore at night and shortly after that we started leaving him out of his crate when we would leave the house.

We did this in short increments to test and to make sure that he didn't do any damage. So far at 15 months of age we can leave him for 2-3 hours by himself and he's good. I don't think I would leave him for any longer than 4 hours by himself and feel comfortable.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

My girl is about 8 months and she just recently earned the right to stay in the kitchen while we are at work during the day. It blocked off so she can't wander and I always make sure to get anything interesting (ie towels, sponges, dirty dishes) off the counters and put away before we leave. If nothing else it keeps my kitchen clean

At night she is loose in our bedroom, and has been for a little more than a month.

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Abby142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

My boy is 7 months now and I still keep him crated during the day while I'm at work as far as at night I never crated him

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Jd414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

At night, 2 years. During the day (home alone all day), 4 years. Part of that was because I had 3 male dogs, and then there were some issues of not getting along or dogs that would make messes together that they don't do alone. If I'd only had one dog it would have been a lot sooner. With my current dogs and their ages and temperaments, they can be free all day and all night. I only have one crate setup and it's always open (usually one of them sleeps in it while we watch movies).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I also own a 6 month old, I don't crate her anymore. I do pick up cords and the garbage can by the bed. she just stays in our room, sometime I'll see her toys messed around with in the living room, but not much lol. Test her, leave her out and alone for like 30 minutes or less and gradually expand it. You'll never know till you try it :-)

Dixie-Born 06-04-12
DixieGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

WOW, you guys have some good puppies!!!!

Ky is 19 months and is not allowed total freedom during the day - she is still crated. She's not crated at night in my bedroom, but she still tends to sleep there - door open tho!

My main reason is that I also have two parrots and they are out all day while I'm at work ... so total freedom for Ky during the day will likely be non-existent! On the plus side, my dad comes home every day for lunch for almost two hours and he brings her upstairs (so she can't chase the parrots LOL) and then I'm back home two hours later.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would tell you, but you wouldnt believe me. So I wont
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wow this is really interesting to me. I've had our pup out of her crate fully since around 4 months? She was outside of a day whilst we were at work and in at nights, worked fine. Never had anything destroyed, dug or chewed. Recently we purchased our own home and she is a total outside dog now at 10 months, this has been the case since around 7 and a half months. Now though being out all day and night, when she isnt paid enough attention or exercised enough she will dig holes, chew things she shouldn't and worst of all rip washing off the line.. But only when we as owners don't do enough to stimulate her, this is tested and proven.....

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.