Assistance from Veteran dog owners - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Assistance from Veteran dog owners

So, I've got the new pup, and for the most part, basic training is going well. Still has a few accidents in the house, but nothing major. He's come to grips with the fact he sleeps in a crate and he doesn't really cry or whine anymore unless he has to go out.

So, here's where I need the assistance.

When we are out and on the leash, he is developing the habit for just stopping, and sitting down. he'll be walking along, and just sit... Then a gentle tug, and a friendly, "Come on" does not yield any results. I'm still enough bigger than the pup that if I need to I can just drag him around, but I know this isn't the proper way to walk him...

So... Suggestions on combating this issue?
cb919er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

How old is the puppy?
You need to work on basics at home before taking out and about.

msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

he's about 8 weeks now... I'm talking about just walking him so he can take care of his business. It almost seems like he's reverting back into stubborn puppy mode. He messed in his crate for the first time since I got him home. And, he doesn't seem to want to actually walk. Just sit out in the grass...
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

He's not "stubborn", he's a baby. He's barely old enough to be away from his mother.

Please view the video and do what it suggests. Why does he need to be on a leash to potty? Do you have a fenced yard??
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

I live in an apartment complex which requires him to be on a leash if we're outside. He's coping with apartment life well so far, he love "trying" to play with my cats, and over all he's a good pup, I'll watch the video when I have a chance to take advantage of the audio... Thanks for the help...
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Well then put the leash on him, and walk where he walks. If he wants to sit, so be it.
He's a baby. ALL leash interactions need to be positive, not dragging him around.

BTW he's quite at risk for disease at this point and may indeed contract one if you're pottying him in community areas, at 8 weeks he's probably only had 1 vaccine so far.

If he was my puppy I'd be working on getting him potty pad trained, which is safer, for the time being, but everyone has their own opinions on that, I'm sure
Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

about 8 weeks old. reverting back to stubborn puppy mode, what?
he can't revert to far back to puppy mode because he's about 8 weeks
old. . go slow. play with him in the yard. get him to follow you around.
have fun. they can't walk far at 8 weeks old. everything is new to
your pup. slowly introduce him to places.

how often are taking your pup out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb919er View Post

>>>> he's about 8 weeks now... I'm talking about just walking him so he can take care of his business. It almost seems like he's reverting back into stubborn puppy mode. <<<

He messed in his crate for the first time since I got him home. And, he doesn't seem to want to actually walk. Just sit out in the grass...
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
If he was my puppy I'd be working on getting him potty pad trained, which is safer, for the time being, but everyone has their own opinions on that, I'm sure

I'm trying to avoid the puppy pads because I don't want him getting the idea it's ok to mess in the apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
about 8 weeks old. reverting back to stubborn puppy mode, what?
He was extremely playful and excited to be out, now he just wants to go out, and sit in the grass... which if it were a warm breezy day, I'd sit and chill with him... but... it's winter... and that sucks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
how often are taking your pup out?
When someone's home with him, every couple hours or so... Or, when he sits by the door and whines. He does get rewarded for taking care of business outside.

I really appreciate all the advice. I'm someone new to the puppy world. So, I'll take all the advice I can get...
Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

No they don't get the idea they can "mess" in the apartment.
The pads are scented so when they are moved closer and closer to the door, the puppy goes on them still...and when the puppy is old enough to have had all vaccines, and old enough to have bowel/bladder control more reliably, you eliminate them altogether
Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Please forgive my ignorance, so I'm guess as the pup gets older, he's ability to hold it gets better, and generally they don't develope the habit of going inside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.