Hair Falling Out - Bald Spot! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hair Falling Out - Bald Spot!

We are concerned about our girl, Eva. She is 5 1/2 months old and saw the vet a month ago for a regular check up and was sent home with a clean bill of health! However, we noticed on the back of her right ear her hair is thinning. Over a couple of days it's almost a bald spot......

We aren't sure if it's stress from teething, allergy of some kind, or a condition? Any thoughts?!

We plan to take her to the vet soon for a diagnosis but we'd like some input before then... Thank you!
BoomerSooner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

It could be demodix aka puppy mange. My girl had it and meds cleared it right up.
CeCe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for your reply! I was reading about that.... If it's treated will the hair grow back? Her ears are so beautiful and we're worried about her.. Is this contracted or genetic?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Yes-her hair will grow back. My dog was treated with ivermectin. She had several bald spots on her face and legs and she's black so they were very obvious. There may be a genetic component to it but it's mostly from just being a puppy with a developing immune system. Mine started getting bald spots right after she finished her third round of vaccines. My vet advised me not to spay her until it was completely cleared up.
You may want to pick up some goodwinol ointment to put on the spots-that's supposed to help.
CeCe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeCe View Post
It could be demodix aka puppy mange. My girl had it and meds cleared it right up.
You were right on the money! We saw our vet and it is in fact mange... Poor baby!

The doctor said we caught it early enough that he thinks a simple ointment twice a day for 10 days will clear up the issue, otherwise, she needs "dipped" in something stronger.

Thank you very much for reaching out and helping us with our girl Eva. It's people like you that make this world great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.