German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Would I need a jacket for my 7 week old? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/197168-would-i-need-jacket-my-7-week-old.html)

SwaF 12-27-2012 11:13 PM

Would I need a jacket for my 7 week old?

I live up in Ontario Canada and right now it's -5 degrees Celsius (about 23F) by the looks of it, it probably will be below 0 (32F) for the next month or two at least, maybe even in the -10 (14F)

I'm getting my pup in two weeks, he'll be 7 weeks then, would I need a jacket when I take him out to play and walk? if so can anybody recommend a jacket that he won't outgrow in 2 weeks?

Thorny 12-27-2012 11:23 PM

my pup was living outside in Colorado at 6 weeks - 8 weeks when I brought him home. Although he slept in a crate with his litter mates, they all lived in temps down to 15 degrees at night with nothing but their natural coats.

in your case I think it partially depends on where the breeder has raised your pup and how thick it's coat is. But I'd suspect that walks with a 7 week old pup will be very short and it will let you know if it's cold (by shivering).

MaggieRoseLee 12-28-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorny (Post 2665170)
in your case I think it partially depends on where the breeder has raised your pup and how thick it's coat is. But I'd suspect that walks with a 7 week old pup will be very short and it will let you know if it's cold (by shivering).

That's key, find out what your breeder has been doing with the puppies.

I've never used a dog coat on my pups, but I've always gotten them in the spring.... (still gets pretty cold though)

:)

martemchik 12-28-2012 01:29 PM

Mine wouldn't really want anything. At a young age you just keep the walks short, and like you mentioned...it really doesn't pay to buy something they'll grow out of in a week (and they will grow out of it!).

Now that my boy is older, I still laugh how he'll just go and lay down in the snow like its nothing. They actually prefer to walk in the snow rather than on the pavement since its colder. So if you're walking him, keep him in the snow/grass rather than on the sidewalk or on a road. If your area uses a lot of salt...it can really irritate their paws, mine will lift up a leg and keep on trucking though because he just loves being outside. It's really funny to watch. The best is when he goes #2 with one of his back legs off the ground (amazing feat of balance).

Liesje 12-28-2012 01:40 PM

I've had puppies in the fall and winter and never used a jacket. I just gauge how cold they are based on what they're doing. If they look cold, start to shiver, or start lifting their paws I take them in. Once in I make sure they can be warm because often the snow sticks to their puppy coat, melts, and makes them wet because they have such a soft puppy coat.

SwaF 12-28-2012 10:13 PM

Great, I'll keep all that in mind, thanks for the input you guys! Will get pictures up when I get a chance too!

readaboutdogs 12-28-2012 10:51 PM

I never used a coat, but Cody didn't have very thick hair on his tummy when he was a pup, he didn't like to get cold! He,d come in from potty breaks and snuggle under the blanket with me on the couch! Clipper has a thicker coat.

doggiedad 12-28-2012 11:05 PM

does a wolf have a litter in the winter? does a mountain goat,
yaks, deer etc have babies in the winter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorny (Post 2665170)
my pup was living outside in Colorado at 6 weeks - 8 weeks when I brought him home. Although he slept in a crate with his litter mates, they all lived in temps down to 15 degrees at night with nothing but their natural coats.